2022/23 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've all played football, I'm sure. We know when the ball has crossed the line. He's looking at the ball. Maybe he needs a visit to Specsavers.

View attachment 176719
As you say, we have all played football, so we are all very aware that once you swing for a football, you cant just snap your leg back in place, you have to carry the motion through, im sure when striking the ball he knew it was already gone.

Which explains his poor clearance, he knew the ball was out and was expecting a corner to be given.

I have a feeling that he will be back fully fit before the 3 months...he is the type of character that will try his upmost to beat any timeline he has been given. I can see him in first team training in 8 weeks max.

Unbelievable Refereeing. Pickford should have left it but Christ how does the ref or liner not see that?.

This probably wont go down well but here goes :

The vast majority of times in that situation the ball will stay in play so the ref and lino took up positions according : the ref in the center circle and the lino level with the last defender just outside our area.

Obviously one unexpected dodgy back pass later they're actually miles out of position. I think when the ball crossed the line the ref was still in the center circle and the lino was about level with the penalty spot, therefor from his angle he was having to look through Pickford so very well might not even have been able to see the ball.

Certainly neither were in a good position in order to be sure that the ball crossed the line. And with knowing VAR was there to step in if a pen was given or goal was scored they may have erred on the side of caution.

….as somebody who welcomed his signing, I accept Godfrey hasn’t reached the heights I’d hoped, but the irony of this injury is it might actually benefit him.

Time away is time to reflect. He has the physical ammunition but he doesn’t always have to hit players with the ferocity that led to his serious injury. He needs to exploit his pace, power and aggression to be a smarter defender with more composure, to be less raw.

Lampard & his coaches are demonstrating they can improve players. Iwobi springs to mind but even the likes of Holgate looks better. Godfrey could possibly come back a much better player, I’m old & I’ve seen it happen before.

….as somebody who welcomed his signing, I accept Godfrey hasn’t reached the heights I’d hoped, but the irony of this injury is it might actually benefit him.

Time away is time to reflect. He has the physical ammunition but he doesn’t always have to hit players with the ferocity that led to his serious injury. He needs to exploit his pace, power and aggression to be a smarter defender with more composure, to be less raw.

Lampard & his coaches are demonstrating they can improve players. Iwobi springs to mind but even the likes of Holgate looks better. Godfrey could possibly come back a much better player, I’m old & I’ve seen it happen before.

I like Godfrey for his speed and aggression two things our team lacked badly when he was signed. But one thing has disappointed me is his passing, that has to improve at this level, most of his passes are sideways or backwards, defenders need more nowadays.

He has advantage over the other back ups as he seems to be more versatile, seemed to do pretty well as left back as I recall

Squad filler. His presence has not been missed - as predicted last month. He'll need others to get injured to get back in. The days of Godfrey, Holgate, and Keane calamitously costing us goals and points have to end.

…agree but I’m not sure that has helped his form out. Filling in for others and then the calamity of the relegation run-in.

For me, he’s a CB and Tarkowski/Coady could really help his game.
Agree mate, he seems to have a bit of what Davies did in that nobody is quite sure what his best position is.

Status
Not open for further replies.