2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
….he did plenty to keep us in the game with some terrific blocks, getting his body in the way particularly in the first half. He handled Antonio well in one-on-one situations. He’s very raw, he lacks composure in possession but he has all the ammunition to be very effective at this level.

CBs are lots about partnerships and blend, I think he’ll really improve for a settled run in the side alongside a constant partner but he either has to earn that or circumstances make it happen. I wouldn’t in the least blame him for the goal we conceded and I definitely wouldn’t be writing him off.

Last edited:
….he did plenty to keep us in the game with some terrific blocks, getting his body in the way particularly in the first half. He handled Antonio well in one-on-one situations. He’s very raw, he lacks composure in possession but he has all the ammunition to be very effective at this level.

CBs are lots about partnerships and blend, I think he’ll really improve for a settled run in the side alongside a constant partner but he either has to earn that or circumstances make it happen. I wouldn’t in the least blame him for the goal we conceded and I definitely wouldn’t be writing him off.
I agree, you’ve got show patience and allow him to grow into the role. Unfortunately some of our fanbase won’t allow it and are scrutinising every moment or decision been made.Off topic a little I honestly have to say I didn’t think Iwobi was as bad as some posters on here are making out he has played far worse in a blue shirt but people are like sheep, it only takes a bad touch and he’s had a shocker. Granted the airshot 1st half was poor but if he would have scored 2 or laid one on a plate for Doucoure people wouldn’t have been as scathing about him. It was a tough game and could have gone either way and maybe one too many games without DCL and Richarlison. We don’t have a devine right to win any football football matches. But the team ethic is good we are creating chances and there is obvious room for improvement.

I agree, you’ve got show patience and allow him to grow into the role. Unfortunately some of our fanbase won’t allow it and are scrutinising every moment or decision been made.Off topic a little I honestly have to say I didn’t think Iwobi was as bad as some posters on here are making out he has played far worse in a blue shirt but people are like sheep, it only takes a bad touch and he’s had a shocker. Granted the airshot 1st half was poor but if he would have scored 2 or laid one on a plate for Doucoure people wouldn’t have been as scathing about him. It was a tough game and could have gone either way and maybe one too many games without DCL and Richarlison. We don’t have a devine right to win any football football matches. But the team ethic is good we are creating chances and there is obvious room for improvement.

Air-kicking from 8 yards out, centre of the goal, is hardly what you expect from a 30m pound attacker. That's a crucial moment of the game and he didn't capitalise.

If we want to achieve anything as a club, then we need standards. The standards set on the pitch yesterday were unacceptable from highly paid players. Until there is a complete overhaul of the squad then this will continue to happen. It's not about patience - you don't repeat the same things with the same players and expect different results. It's about making the right calls on particular players. If someone doesn't perform on a consistent basis then they shouldn't play and we should find a buyer.

Concerning wobble in form this season. How much that has to do with the late start to his season or the constant changing of the back four I can't really say for sure.

Because he played a part in the goal. You get all the shouts, he’s rubbish, overrated, to small.

I thought he defended well up to the goal. Apart from the block by keane on the Antonio shot and the Fornals one that went past the post, both not clear cut compared to tge iwobi chance and tge Rondon header that should have been a goal. West Ham didn’t create much

So I think Godfrey will be fine, and his size is not an issue. All centre backs get beat in the air from time to time. He’s still young and like all teams you need a settled defence. He’s been here now for 50+ games. How many times has he played along side Mina in a 2?

The weaknesses in his game were there last season as well, it’s not new. Got hyped to oblivion last season because he makes some meaty challenges and is insanely quick. Positioning, marking in the box and timing the ball in the air need to improve - wouldn’t start him ahead of Keane or Mina at the moment.

Because if he had had vaccine in summer when they were all offered it he could still have got Covid but probably a lot less severe than he had it meaning he would have only had to isolate for a week and not miss a whole month and ruin his fitness levels.
Zero proof that a vaccine makes covid less severe. It’s unique to every individual.

I know when I had it, for a couple of months after, fatigue would hit me at random points in the day.

He is still a bit rusty but isnt marauding down the pitch as much. Needs a consistent run in the same position in the team alongside mina

He shouldn't be playing against teams who are strong in the air, as he's not great at heading. There aren't too many teams like that, and it's unfortunate that he had to play due to Mina being knackered.

He shouldn't be playing against teams who are strong in the air, as he's not great at heading. There aren't too many teams like that, and it's unfortunate that he had to play due to Mina being knackered.

No idea where you’ve got that from, it’s most of the Premier League. Every team in the league has centre backs that are a threat from corners, that’s where West Ham’s goal came from. If he can’t head a ball then he can’t play centre back in the Premier League.

The weaknesses in his game were there last season as well, it’s not new. Got hyped to oblivion last season because he makes some meaty challenges and is insanely quick. Positioning, marking in the box and timing the ball in the air need to improve - wouldn’t start him ahead of Keane or Mina at the moment.
Thing is last season there were times he was easily MOTM but since we were very poor at times the standard was low, the bar has been raised. I think his obvious desire to.play helps, he will know himself he is having a terrible season,

Air-kicking from 8 yards out, centre of the goal, is hardly what you expect from a 30m pound attacker. That's a crucial moment of the game and he didn't capitalise.

If we want to achieve anything as a club, then we need standards. The standards set on the pitch yesterday were unacceptable from highly paid players. Until there is a complete overhaul of the squad then this will continue to happen. It's not about patience - you don't repeat the same things with the same players and expect different results. It's about making the right calls on particular players. If someone doesn't perform on a consistent basis then they shouldn't play and we should find a buyer.
Point taken but some of the posts on here border on abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.