2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know @Eggs speaks a lot about a player having a "rolls royce engine" which is a good way to view it, but this lad really seems to possess it. He is incredibly powerful and pacey in how he runs.

I'm sure the older viewers might liken him to Kevin Ratcliffe, who was really a bit before my time, but there are certainly shades of Yobo when he first got into the team, and you were very wowed by the power of the guy. I happen to think Godfrey is better on the ball than Yobo was, and probably a slightly better "defender" whereas Yobo really relied on his physicality.

He's getting some experience at fullback currently, which is probably doing him no harm whatsoever. He's played 4 games at fullback now, and 3 of them have been very impressive (Liverpool, Burnley and Chelsea) though he struggled a bit at Southampton. If he can get his consistency and get a run in the defence that would be a good start.

Anyway I've been impressed with him.

...as I said when he signed, he’s the ‘type’ we’ve needed since Zouma left. Rolls Royce engine but he’s also aggressive, he plays on the front foot. When we signed him, I immediately put a bet on him getting in the England Euro squad, but he needs to be playing CB for that to happen.

I still think he’s very raw and there’ll be quite a few errors in the way he plays but I like the thought of him playing alongside an in-form Keane.

For a 70-80m pound player, Havertz was flipping awful yesterday. I saw him play live a couple of times for Germany against NI and thought he was best player on the pitch, but he looks very average so far for Chelsea

Honestly... I haven't really got the hype with him.

He reminds me a lot of Dele Alli in that he's a player with a lot of good qualities but I'm not really sure if he has one standout attribute.

That's no bad thing and he clearly has talent, but I think he's been rather overhyped.

Every players have off games, mind, and he'll probably go and score a hat-trick against us at Stamford Bridge now, but I'm extremely glad Godfrey was up against him last night rather than Pulisic.

Pickford
Holgate Keane Godfrey Digne
Allan Doucoure
Bailey/Zaha James Richarlison
DCL

4231 from January - how do you like those eggs?

I don't think 4-2-3-1 gets the best out of James though.

We need our full-backs pushing up really, too.

We know we need a right-back, we know we need Digne back (which is gonna be March, realistically).

Bailey's definitely the type of player we should be all over but it's more just to give us options to play different ways and not have our best system fall down if one player is out.

Fair point. I'm not convinced his lack of being stifled was the biggest issue for him yesterday. It was his rushed finishing in my view.

Whenever Digne (or an actual LB plays) the threat of an overlap gives the opposing full-back something to think about and often gives Richy far more space in dangerous areas.

Reece James knowing the only overlap he'll be facing is a right-footed CB that won't be bombing on and crossing had an easy game marking Richy.

Status
Not open for further replies.