2020/21 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes such a difference having pace in the fullback positions. Some errors that would have been fatal had Baines or Coleman of previous seasons made them are just rectified immediately by Godfrey or Holgate with a bit of recovery pace. I know we lose a bit going forward but I’m a fan of fullbacks who just defend first. It keeps the team far more solid and Keane and Mina know they’re not going to be getting pulled out wide all the time. Gives Iwobi the confidence to try stuff as well knowing Coleman hasn’t already bombed on ahead of him.

Thats what I thought - obviously Digne has to come back in once fit as he offers so much going forward but would be tempted to stick with Holgate at RB going forward and keep is a bit more defensively solid as atleast when Digne gets forward in essence we would have 3 CB's still behind.

Makes such a difference having pace in the fullback positions. Some errors that would have been fatal had Baines or Coleman of previous seasons made them are just rectified immediately by Godfrey or Holgate with a bit of recovery pace. I know we lose a bit going forward but I’m a fan of fullbacks who just defend first. It keeps the team far more solid and Keane and Mina know they’re not going to be getting pulled out wide all the time. Gives Iwobi the confidence to try stuff as well knowing Coleman hasn’t already bombed on ahead of him.
Yes defenders with pace are essential in this league these days. Ones that can throw in a tackle occasionally are useful too.

Thats what I thought - obviously Digne has to come back in once fit as he offers so much going forward but would be tempted to stick with Holgate at RB going forward and keep is a bit more defensively solid as atleast when Digne gets forward in essence we would have 3 CB's still behind.

Yeah I mean the issue is we can't play like we did yesterday in every game, and in that case Carlo really needs to start putting Nkounkou in the squad to add balance to that side of the pitch from an attacking point of view.

We were helped yesterday by Havertz playing wide right for them. He's left footed so was always wanting to cut inside and that was putting Godfrey onto his stronger foot.

All of our defenders are more comfortable playing in a 'low block'.

We played a 4-2-3-1 yesterday, clearly, and we did look far more solid. The avg positions clearly show a bank of four, and then Allan and Doucoure sitting ahead of them.

It isn't going to work every game and it's not really something we can probably do when James is back either as, for Gyfli's many faults, he's more athletic than James in terms of covering ground (that's not saying he's quick, he obviously isn't).

Yeah I mean the issue is we can't play like we did yesterday in every game, and in that case Carlo really needs to start putting Nkounkou in the squad to add balance to that side of the pitch from an attacking point of view.

We were helped yesterday by Havertz playing wide right for them. He's left footed so was always wanting to cut inside and that was putting Godfrey onto his stronger foot.

For a 70-80m pound player, Havertz was flipping awful yesterday. I saw him play live a couple of times for Germany against NI and thought he was best player on the pitch, but he looks very average so far for Chelsea

All of our defenders are more comfortable playing in a 'low block'.

We played a 4-2-3-1 yesterday, clearly, and we did look far more solid. The avg positions clearly show a bank of four, and then Allan and Doucoure sitting ahead of them.

It isn't going to work every game and it's not really something we can probably do when James is back either as, for Gyfli's many faults, he's more athletic than James in terms of covering ground (that's not saying he's quick, he obviously isn't).

Pickford
Holgate Keane Godfrey Digne
Allan Doucoure
Bailey/Zaha James Richarlison
DCL

4231 from January - how do you like those eggs?

For a 70-80m pound player, Havertz was flipping awful yesterday. I saw him play live a couple of times for Germany against NI and thought he was best player on the pitch, but he looks very average so far for Chelea

For a 70-80m pound player, Havertz was flipping awful yesterday. I saw him play live a couple of times for Germany against NI and thought he was best player on the pitch, but he looks very average so far for Chelsea
first season in England, he'll need to adapt, Chelsea have a serious forward line for seasons to come

It worked; it was stop gap. He understandably offered nothing going forward which really stifles Richy’s game.

Just to play devils advocate a bit, he made one really good run going forward. Richarlinson also had 3 efforts in the box yesterday, 2 of which he seemed to slip when striking the ball. I wouldn't put his lack of confidence down to Godfrey.

He's being played every where but his main position and he's still putting in a really acceptable performance, He looks like a really good buy.

I know @Eggs speaks a lot about a player having a "rolls royce engine" which is a good way to view it, but this lad really seems to possess it. He is incredibly powerful and pacey in how he runs.

I'm sure the older viewers might liken him to Kevin Ratcliffe, who was really a bit before my time, but there are certainly shades of Yobo when he first got into the team, and you were very wowed by the power of the guy. I happen to think Godfrey is better on the ball than Yobo was, and probably a slightly better "defender" whereas Yobo really relied on his physicality.

He's getting some experience at fullback currently, which is probably doing him no harm whatsoever. He's played 4 games at fullback now, and 3 of them have been very impressive (Liverpool, Burnley and Chelsea) though he struggled a bit at Southampton. If he can get his consistency and get a run in the defence that would be a good start.

Anyway I've been impressed with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.