BBC article on young English players in Europe including pithy comment about Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wonder if there'll be a change in approach to youth-level transfers, following the stiff penalties that have been handed out to a few of the bigger clubs recently.

Hardly seems worth it, when most of the players that they're breaking/bending rules to sign are leaving for a pittance after never playing a first team game.

The problem is that the stiff penalties aren't stiff at all. Chelsea have enough players to fill 6 rosters, you think they care about being left out of a couple transfer windows?

The problem is that the stiff penalties aren't stiff at all. Chelsea have enough players to fill 6 rosters, you think they care about being left out of a couple transfer windows?
I do, actually. They're already struggling to get back into the Champions League, and the vast majority of the players on their books will never see a match day squad.

I do, actually. They're already struggling to get back into the Champions League, and the vast majority of the players on their books will never see a match day squad.

They'll just bank the money, push for a Europa cup win and go in big as soon as they are allowed. Its not much of a penalty at all. Give them a transfer ban and a ban from loaning out players for a year and the punishment will also have some financial implications. Not to mention losing a bunch of players that they shouldn't been able to sign in the 1st place.

And hell it might not even be a 2 window transfer ban anyway. How long did Barca's 2 year transfer ban last?

They'll just bank the money, push for a Europa cup win and go in big as soon as they are allowed. Its not much of a penalty at all. Give them a transfer ban and a ban from loaning out players for a year and the punishment will also have some financial implications. Not to mention losing a bunch of players that they shouldn't been able to sign in the 1st place.

And hell it might not even be a 2 window transfer ban anyway. How long did Barca's 2 year transfer ban last?
I think that Barca served 14 months, but were allowed to defer it for a year after making an appeal. That's the key difference between their situation and Chelsea's.

I'm not sure that they'd get away with banning outbound loans. If anything, that would hinder young players' chances of development, when the whole point of these rules is to protect them.

Have we signed any youth players from abroad lately? Obviously you had Henen and Tarasaj, but they were a few years ago now. Can't remember anyone else, with the only German being Mustafi, which was again a long time ago.
We loaned Donkor from Germany (Wolfsburg?) But he didn't look all that good and I think he went after about 5 games. Onyekeru and Vlasic as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.