I've got my mind, not my heart, set on Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kever10

Player Valuation: £15m
I've got my mind set on Europe. Not my heart, my mind. And there is a big difference.

And as one of the city's most favourite sons once famously said...

But it's gonna take money. A whole lotta spendin' money. It's gonna take plenty of money. To do it right, child.

Under the current regime, by which I mean manager in tandem with the much maligned DOF, we have spent modestly. More than others, yes, but much less than the people we are hoping to emulate. The RS are fond of telling us that Gylfi the ghost cost us more than both Mane and Salah. Well, conversely, all of Carlos 7 signings have cost us less than their Goalkeeper.

Hamstrung by the spending that went before, and still attempting to shift the players and wages that are quite literally slowing us down, we were left with a situation that needed addressing without leaving us much room to manoeuvre.

It was obvious to all that the biggest weakness in the squad Carlo inherited was in Midfield. In a squad that was severely lacking, it was an area that was particularly poor. No pace, no guile, no dynamism, no drive, no energy, no leadership, no creativity, no bite, no soul. So it was no surprise to anyone that the area he chose to address most urgently was in replacing 3/4s of the starting midfield. The theory being that the others would have to make do for rotation and backup.

We added 3 massive improvements, that much is undeniable. It has literally been a toss up between them who has been MOTM in practically all of the games they have been available. Yet we have rarely been able to call on them all to play at the same time.

Some would cynically say that this was to be expected. They are older, perhaps more injury prone. But few if any would've been able to forsee the lengths to which they would miss. The most pragmatic of planners could not have forseen each of them missing more than 3 months of the season each, often overlapping. That in a season that has been more congested than most, not only would that leave us with the remnants of what came before, but that half of them would also be missing for large chunks as well, resulting in certain players who would not make the bench if all was right and well, starting and finishing the majority of our games.

Which brings us back to George.

It's gonna take time. A whole lot of precious time. It's gonna take patience and time. To do it right.

Anyone expecting us to transform the dross we had before to champions elect in the time Carlo has had here is deluded.

Carlo has alluded to it himself. Early on when people expected our fantastic start to maybe see us push for the title, it was Carlo who managed expectations and said the target was not the league, nor the Top 4, but the Europa. Maybe he was playing mind games. Or maybe he knew that what he had was not capable of the gigantic leap so soon. He has spoken regularly of the longer term project that he signed on for. To build a team for years to come.

For the time being, we are having to make do, while the improvements made where to bring in quality that was sorely missing. To paper over the cracks so to speak.

What he has been able to do in this short time, is show us that with a bit of time, and with a few tweeks and improvements, we can compete with anyone on our day.

In the past, I've had my heart set on Europe. And many times, it hasn't happened, for one reason or another. Last day goals that denied us. Dodgy refs coming out of retirement to do UEFA's bidding. Baffling results in winnable games. Poor end of season form. Other teams resurgent form. Unfortunate injuries. Running out of steam.

Let's face it. We've seen it all before.

But we are headed in the right direction.

And this time I know it's real. The feelin' that I feel. I know if I put my mind to it
I know that I really can do it

There are plenty of positives if you choose to look for them, instead of dwelling on the past and what might have been.

We have people in charge who are actually backing us with real money.

We have planning permission on a stadium, which should be and will be a huge step forward that we have desperately needed for close to half a century.

We have one of the best managers in world football, who actually wants to be here and can convince players like James Rodriguez to join him.

And yet still, people are childishly stamping their feet because it hasn't happened yet, in what is currently 1 interupted half season, and 1 currently unfinished season. After a while, it is just draining.

I know it's hard. Being an Everton fan and being positive is often paradoxical. But at some point, you have to wonder with the posistive things we do have, what is the point in being so negative about everything?

Many people don't know this, but that song by George Harrison is actually a cover version. It was originally recorded in the 60s by James Ray. And he actually had an additional verse that George chose to leave out.

Everywhere I go you know, Bad luck follows me. Every time I fall in love, I’m left in misery.

Maybe it's time we all took a leaf out of George's book and leave out the negativity too, and instead set our minds on the possibilities.

I've got my mind set on Europe. Not my heart. It should be an objective, not a dream. And if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world. We regroup, and we go again. Football, as has been proven this past year beyond any doubt, carries on regardless. Relentless. Sometimes, a change in outlook can be all it takes. Determination over romanticism. Respect the plan, and have some Patience. It's gonna take time to do it right.

I've got my mind set on Europe. Not my heart, my mind. And there is a big difference.

But it's gonna take money. A whole lotta spendin' money. It's gonna take plenty of money. To do it right, child.

Under the current regime, by which I mean manager in tandem with the much maligned DOF, we have spent modestly. More than others, yes, but much less than the people we are hoping to emulate. The RS are fond of telling us that Gylfi the ghost cost us more than both Mane and Salah. Well, conversely, all of Carlos 7 signings have cost us less than their Goalkeeper.

Hamstrung by the spending that went before, and still attempting to shift the players and wages that are quite literally slowing us down, we were left with a situation that needed addressing without leaving us much room to manoeuvre.

It was obvious to all that the biggest weakness in the squad Carlo inherited was in Midfield. In a squad that was severely lacking, it was an area that was particularly poor. No pace, no guile, no dynamism, no drive, no energy, no leadership, no creativity, no bite, no soul. So it was no surprise to anyone that the area he chose to address most urgently was in replacing 3/4s of the starting midfield. The theory being that the others would have to make do for rotation and backup.

We added 3 massive improvements, that much is undeniable. It has literally been a toss up between them who has been MOTM in practically all of the games they have been available. Yet we have rarely been able to call on them all to play at the same time.

Some would cynically say that this was to be expected. They are older, perhaps more injury prone. But few if any would've been able to forsee the lengths to which they would miss. The most pragmatic of planners could not have forseen each of them missing more than 3 months of the season each, often overlapping. That in a season that has been more congested than most, not only would that leave us with the remnants of what came before, but that half of them would also be missing for large chunks as well, resulting in certain players who would not make the bench if all was right and well, starting and finishing the majority of our games.

It's gonna take time. A whole lot of precious time. It's gonna take patience and time. To do it right.

Anyone expecting us to transform the dross we had before to champions elect in the time Carlo has had here is deluded.

Carlo has alluded to it himself. Early on when people expected our fantastic start to maybe see us push for the title, it was Carlo who managed expectations and said the target was not the league, nor the Top 4, but the Europa. Maybe he was playing mind games. Or maybe he knew that what he had was not capable of the gigantic leap so soon. He has spoken regularly of the longer term project that he signed on for. To build a team for years to come.

For the time being, we are having to make do, while the improvements made where to bring in quality that was sorely missing. To paper over the cracks so to speak.

What he has been able to do in this short time, is show us that with a bit of time, and with a few tweeks and improvements, we can compete with anyone on our day.

In the past, I've had my heart set on Europe. And many times, it hasn't happened, for one reason or another. Last day goals that denied us. Dodgy refs coming out of retirement to do UEFA's bidding. Baffling results in winnable games. Poor end of season form. Other teams resurgent form. Unfortunate injuries. Running out of steam.

And this time I know it's real. The feelin' that I feel. I know if I put my mind to it

There are plenty of positives if you choose to look for them, instead of dwelling on the past and what might have been.

We have planning permission on a stadium, which should be and will be a huge step forward that we have desperately needed for close to half a century.

We have one of the best managers in world football, who actually wants to be here and can convince players like James Rodriguez to join him.

And yet still, people are childishly stamping their feet because it hasn't happened yet, in what is currently 1 interupted half season, and 1 currently unfinished season. After a while, it is just draining.

I know it's hard. Being an Everton fan and being positive is often paradoxical. But at some point, you have to wonder with the posistive things we do have, what is the point in being so negative about everything?

Many people don't know this, but that song by George Harrison is actually a cover version. It was originally recorded in the 60s by James Ray. And he actually had an additional verse that George chose to leave out.

Everywhere I go you know, Bad luck follows me. Every time I fall in love, I’m left in misery.

Maybe it's time we all took a leaf out of George's book and leave out the negativity too, and instead set our minds on the possibilities.

I've got my mind set on Europe. Not my heart. It should be an objective, not a dream. And if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world. We regroup, and we go again. Football, as has been proven this past year beyond any doubt, carries on regardless. Relentless. Sometimes, a change in outlook can be all it takes. Determination over romanticism. Respect the plan, and have some Patience. It's gonna take time to do it right.
Amen

I'd rather win the fa cup or league*. Europe has become a farce in my opinion. I get that its important to attract a certain calibre of mercenary, but still. :coffee:

*or even a game by more than 1 goal ffs

Great write up mate and I’m quoting this

”We have one of the best managers in world football, who actually wants to be here and can convince players like James Rodriguez to join him”

This alone says it all, for those who are not convinced then let me introduce Mr Ronald Koeman

Why bother.

With this squad of players, we will not go far.

It was more of a response to the overall negativity and doom mongering. If it was all apathy, I wouldn't have said anything. But reading so many rabidly anti Ancelotti comments has just had me flummoxed.

I defended Martinez past the point of no return, because I thought he was a nice guy and his heart was in the right place, same as his principles, even if they were flawed. He wanted the best, and he just couldn't deliver it. Also, at the time, I would never have dreamt we were capable of attracting someone like Ancelotti, and I envisaged a conveyor belt of mediocre journeymen.

Enter the 1st.

I never bought into Koeman and his arrogance that manifested itself as not just never buying into the club, but giving the appearance that he really didn't care about the outcome. He was here for a paycheck and nothing else. He also didn't have any of the technical nous or style of play to overcome the lack of personality, and he didn't seem to have any idea about how he wanted to play or move forward, as evidenced by his scattergun transfer strategy that we are still feeling the effects of 4 years later.

Enter the 2nd.

I defended Allardyce because while I didn't particularly like his personality, or his methods, he was on a hiding to nothing. Like him or not, he took the job when we were floundering badly and knowing full well he was not wanted. Yes, he was paid well, a more than adequate compensation, but why wouldn't he ask for what he could get? He came in, he did what was needed, and while it wasn't pretty, he got more out of Koemans basket case squad than he ever looked getting himself. He could've done more to endear himself to the fans, but I still thought he was treated fairly appallingly, non more evident than the organised walk out of the end of season lap of dishonour, and the cancelling of the EOS awards spoke volumes.

Enter the 3rd.

The wooing and chasing of Marco Silva confused me from the outset. A quick glance at what he had done before arriving here was underwhelming, and the cost of chasing him was enormous. So intent on landing him, we ended up paying Watford over £10m for him, as well as the short term yet highly expensive outlay on Allardyce and his team, as well as pay offs, all to land a manager that seemed like a nice guy in the mold of Martinez, but with far less personality and even less ability to motivate. All in all, he must be possibly the most expensive manager in out history, even ahead of Koeman.
Unlike Martinez, he never seemed to buy into the Everton way and unlike Koeman, he didn't even have the name or career prestige to back up his cost. He was inevitably not here long, but he still managed to outspend Koeman in Transfer fees (both spending over £200m, but Koeman had the benefit of receiving £150m back from the sales of Stones and Lukaku).

The fact that we have ended up with Carlo Ancelotti as manager after the rogues gallery of nobodies that came before him is nothing short of a miracle (and thanks in no small part to the influence and commitment to the cause of the frequently questioned Moshiri).

The fact that Ancelotti has not only arrived, but embraced the club and spoken openly about his admiration of the values we hold dear. That he already feels at home, not just in the superficial way others before him have parroted, but in a genuine heartfelt way. That he openly talks of his love of not just the club but the area. And the fact he came here for the challenge and did not just run for the hills at the earliest opportunity, as a man of his standing and reputation would have every right to do.

We have something special, and still, people choose to see only the worst.

It is beyond infuriating. At this point, It is verging on parody.

Shouldn't this be in the coronavirus thread? Quite possible if vaccinated to go on holiday to Europe later in the year.

...oh you mean Everton. No chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.