Not open for further replies.

CanadaToffee

Player Valuation: £10m
Please correct me if I'm wrong:
  • Sold Lescott for 24M
  • Bought Heitinga for 5M
  • That makes a difference of 19M
  • Heitinga is 2 years younger than Lescott
  • He's even more versatile than Lescott, but (so far) Lescott scores more goals, so let's call that even
  • From what we've seen the last few games, he's at least as good at CB as Lescott
So we essentially replaced a CB with a younger, perhaps better CB and netted 19M from the deal.

Just wondering if Citeh will give us 15M plus Micah Richards for Hibbo...

I think you're a bit unfair towards Lescott to be honest.

Lescott was also versatile, and despite him leaving us, he was an awesome player for us, and a huge loss.

John Heitinga has an awful long way to go before we can compare him with Joleon.

When JL left, a huge piece of the Everton Heart left with him, and it's taking a long time to mend.

Heitinga is new, and exciting, but it's wrong to compare in my opinion. Great that you're loving the guy though. ;)

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
  • Sold Lescott for 24M
  • Bought Heitinga for 5M
  • That makes a difference of 19M
  • Heitinga is 2 years younger than Lescott
  • He's even more versatile than Lescott, but (so far) Lescott scores more goals, so let's call that even
  • From what we've seen the last few games, he's at least as good at CB as Lescott
So we essentially replaced a CB with a younger, perhaps better CB and netted 19M from the deal.

Just wondering if Citeh will give us 15M plus Micah Richards for Hibbo...

Where ya been CT???

I think that Blue makes some good points.

For me, I look at it more that we didn't spend that money on someone like Naughton who would undoubtedly not had the impact that Heitinga has had for us.

Frankly, I think 5M for Heitinga was daylight robbery in today's transfer market. An experienced international who can play a variety of positions very well.

Another excellent piece of business by David Moyes.

Lescott was horribly over-valued so in that sense we got a tremendous deal for him. I think Distin was his natural replacement with Heitinga planned for either right back or midfield, but even then it was what, £6m for Distin? I don't think Distin is quite as good as JL but he's not far off and for £16m less it's a very good bit of dealing by Moyes.

I guess the question is though, given our poor league position at the moment, and the subsequent drop in income, where will any money for signings come from next summer?

Lescott was horribly over-valued so in that sense we got a tremendous deal for him. I think Distin was his natural replacement with Heitinga planned for either right back or midfield, but even then it was what, £6m for Distin? I don't think Distin is quite as good as JL but he's not far off and for £16m less it's a very good bit of dealing by Moyes.

I guess the question is though, given our poor league position at the moment, and the subsequent drop in income, where will any money for signings come from next summer?

Fantastic question mate,its either by selling pienaar or charity

Hence this thread: http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/everton-forum/24954-time-sell-another-big-name.html

Pienaar only has one more year left on his contract. And a good world cup he'd have us over a barrell.

He'd want 70k a week or we'll have to sell for about 3-5m.

It's going to end in tears with him....

That is normal these days,even Alan Smith gets about 60 K with the toons. Pienaar may get better than that IMO without any surprise but i am damn sure he'll stay here and its the perfect place for him. he'll ruin his career elsewhere at his age and he aint gona join any Inter,Barca or any big guns as i mentioned in another thread

I think you're a bit unfair towards Lescott to be honest.

Lescott was also versatile, and despite him leaving us, he was an awesome player for us, and a huge loss.

John Heitinga has an awful long way to go before we can compare him with Joleon.

When JL left, a huge piece of the Everton Heart left with him, and it's taking a long time to mend.

Heitinga is new, and exciting, but it's wrong to compare in my opinion. Great that you're loving the guy though. ;)

Agree compleatley mate - Lescott was a terrific player - could have been a legend here!

Lescott was made to look better than he really was by our general good play last season. He's gone to City now, and just watch him on one of their frequent off days, the guy has been garbage most of the season and is out injured for 2 months now.

The general consensus at the time was that City bought the wrong defender, and it's very easy for people to look back on the defensive shambles over this half-season and think that Joleon Lescott could have made a difference, but I can tell you now he definitely would not have. City have also been a defensive shambles, and he hasn't made a blind bit of difference to that.

Delighted with the entire bit of business; the newfound ego gone, the money we got in, the players we secured with that money.

If people are that hell-bent on Lescott, he'll be available for £6m next summer.

Quite possibly, do not think Mancini wants to wait around for 2 monthe for L to get fit.

Have to disagree Bruce, Distin is now way any where as good as Lescott and IMO was a poor buy at 6mill for his age. Should have pushed the boat out for Cahill, Shawcross or Upson.

Last edited:
I've watch a lot of City's games on TV this season, and Lescott looks OK, but no better than Toure. When you add that to the age issue - he's not young, he's probably at his peak right now - we definitely got away with highway robbery. Yes, he's decent, but he's not a 24M superstar.

Agree with RJ about Distin, though, and he's even older.

Looks like our way forward is this: find an ex-Ajax player 25 or younger, having a nightmare with his new German / Spanish club, pick him up for a pittance and turn him into a quality PL player. It's worked twice, why not a third time ;)

Well we sold Lescott for Billy Distin and Hetinga (don't forget about 5-7M were agent fees/payment to Wolves). Lescott right now (for us at least) is a superior player to Hetiniga. He provided much needed goals for our side and on corners he opened it up for everybody else as the other teams best CB would often have to take him one (and Lescott would still beat him a majority of times).

Hetiniga will never be the force that Lescott was attacking but he's an excellent passer of long balls (almost Alonso like at times) and could be better defensively than Lescott when Jags gets back. He was a bargain (even though his wages aren't).

Billy on the other hand is a work in progress. His lack of pace scares me given that we are a squad that seriously lacks pace. I almost think we got a little too cute with his signing and perhaps should have went with a pure RW something like say a Bentley (even though I'm not his biggest fan, he's lazy at times, Moyes might be able to get the best out of him) or a SWP. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.