Basic Math

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pienaar only has one more year left on his contract. And a good world cup he'd have us over a barrell.

He'd want 70k a week or we'll have to sell for about 3-5m.

It's going to end in tears with him....

Why would we have to reduce the price?
If teams want him badly enough, they will pay what we ask.

Seeeeeeexty Beeeeelion Dollarrrrrrrrrrs :D

lolwut.

Just because he's an arsehole now doesn't mean we can't admit he was a cracking player while he was here, hence why we didn't want him gone.

Wouldn't want him back with the attitude he showed in the summer though, we sang his name and he ignored us

Wouldn't want him back with the attitude he showed in the summer though, we sang his name and he ignored us

No he's a class A arsehole, there's no arguing about that. But Heitinga isn't as good a centre half, no matter how shaky Lescott has been this season.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. Lescott is a very good CB, no doubt about it, but he always looks better with a strong partner. He looked more solid next to Jags than Yobo, for example. He also looks better when protected by a striong defensive midfielder like De Jong.

And given that it's Heitinga's first season in the PL, and that he's been playing other positions until recently, I'm still thinking that he's likley to look as good at CB as Lescott did by the end of his first full season. He;'s not has protection like De Jong (or even Neville) offers, either.

And he's younger. But we'll see - let's try remember to bump this thread come April / May.

Pienaar only has one more year left on his contract. And a good world cup he'd have us over a barrell.

He'd want 70k a week or we'll have to sell for about 3-5m.

It's going to end in tears with him....

He's gonna have to show it in three matches and against some very tough teams at that.

Interesting thread.
Consider: Where is it written and guaranteed that we actually got £24 mill for Lescott? Furthermore, did we get whatever figure was finally agreed in one big lump?
Whatever it was, and I feel it was closer to £22 mill that wolves got either 10 or 15 % of the excess over the 5 mill Lescott cost us originally.
So we actually saw about £19 mill.
Heitinga fee will rise to £7 mill
Distin was hugely overpriced at £6 mill
Bily needs to show a bit more than some assists against wankbag fc types in the europa to prove £9 mill any sort of reasonable fee.
Neill was brought in on a free.
So in the summer we saw four major additions to the wage bill. (Specifically Heitinga!)
Lescott left.
VDM left.
Jacobsen left.
Valente left.
Castillo left.
And we have arsed around with Jo, letting him return to city over the summer then loaning him back when its time to play and therefore pay time.
So 5 senior players left, and 4 were brought in with Jo an enigma from last january that has been kept on so to speak when suitable for us.

So where am I going with all of this? Did the club not spend any actual money of its own this past summer? It looks that way, yes Moyes mentioned shelling out something like £29 mill, but he did not specify if that was wages of all the new contracts, and agents fees and other parts. Did the club finalise the payments of Yakubu and Fellaini this past summer? Have we simply not forked out for a summer hoping to tread water and keep a better bottom line going into 2010 so that we can trade/buy on a more even kilter in the summer of 2010? If the last part is the tactic of the club, to address the squad in terms of contracts and not get into debt and add to more long term debt then I cant knock it. Hopefully it will mean we pay less interest on loans and fees that should then end up either in Moyes hands to deal with or go towards addressing the financial pit the club is sat in.
(And before the 'investment' screamers pipe up, I read today Blackburn have been actively for sale for over two years. That Wigan cannot run without Whelan heavily subsidising them yearly. That Newcastle are still for sale. That West Ham are still for sale. That our lovable neighbours are for sale. - Hell of a lot of choice out there for the billionaire that is sick and tired of having so much money lying around.)

Status
Not open for further replies.