Homepage Update: Baines: We have no chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye like i say, i don't think the players can totally get away with this at the moment... but everything stops with Martinez. perfect example is Howard, everyone could see he was on a decline for 3 years, maybe more, but Martinez didnt bring him out for Robles, and when he did last season he put Howard straight back in after his injury - he hasn't followed suit this time, but thats a mistake he should have rectified earlier

True, that was the first big mistake by martinez, dropping robles for Howard

Oh come on, you mean I'm the 1st to post this??

fa5.jpg

Dapper Dogs thread.

Really? You dont think Howard has regressed with age? How about Baines? Baines is more due to injury than anything but he is struggling to get back to full fitness as he will take longer to heal now. How about Pienaar and Osman? Jagielka aint getting any younger either. These were all vital cogs in our team before Martinez arrived.

Martinez should of replaced Howard 50 years ago. Anyone could see it. Baines isn't an oap just yet he is just like any other well and able player the first-team. Jags is still a great defender despite the complete lack of defensive coaching. What's stone's excuse? Coleman, Mirallas, Barkley, etc. Osman also should have been put to pasture before Martinez got here and was never highly effective. Pienaar probably but he never was a key player for Martinez. Even in the 72 point season.

Our squad is more talented and younger than 3 years ago. Most of our good Moyes players that are first teamers should be in thier prime right now. 99 percent of Martinez defenders or blame deflectors say we are too young and are growing which I disagree with but this the first time I heard it spun the other way and I disagree with that also.

Even tho we've conceded less goals with Baines at left back than Oviedo and significantly less than Galloway?

And Brendan Galloway is essentially Tony Hibbert. Competent to good defensively, very suspect going forward.

I'll have a pint of what you're drinking. Did you just make up that line about Galloway for fun?

I'll have a pint of what you're drinking. Did you just make up that line about Galloway for fun?
Why do you think it's a poor comparison. I've already laid mine out there, please, refute me. He's poor going forward. And it doesn't really matter because he's a fn CB filling in a position he's not familiar with. Tony fn Hibbert was probably the best defensive fullback we had in twenty years. I find it so comical people take exception with that as if it were an insult to Galloway. He is quite good defensively ffs. So, I ask you, , what is your reasoning for saying he's better going forward than Baines or Oviedo?

Why do you think it's a poor comparison. I've already laid mine out there, please, refute me. He's poor going forward. And it doesn't really matter because he's a fn CB filling in a position he's not familiar with. Tony fn Hibbert was probably the best defensive fullback we had in twenty years. I find it so comical people take exception with that as if it were an insult to Galloway. He is quite good defensively ffs. So, I ask you, , what is your reasoning for saying he's better going forward than Baines or Oviedo?

Did I say he was "better going forward than Baines or Oviedo"? Note the use of quotation marks for added irony.

I am challenging your view that Galloway isn't decent going forward full stop. Ok, he doesn't have the killer pass or cross tha Baines Used to have, and doesn't yet have the finish in his locker that Bryan occasionally unleashes....but he's a relative novice in terms of actual game time but has never let us down. I don't recall him making any catastrophic mistakes. By mentioning Hibbery you were clearly trying to make the lad sound bang average....let's be honest about it.

Did I say he was "better going forward than Baines or Oviedo"? Note the use of quotation marks for added irony.

I am challenging your view that Galloway isn't decent going forward full stop. Ok, he doesn't have the killer pass or cross tha Baines Used to have, and doesn't yet have the finish in his locker that Bryan occasionally unleashes....but he's a relative novice in terms of actual game time but has never let us down. I don't recall him making any catastrophic mistakes. By mentioning Hibbery you were clearly trying to make the lad sound bang average....let's be honest about it.
Firstly, you have clouded memories if your think Hibbert was bang average. He was a very good defender. So I STILL don't get why comparing a young player to the best defensive fullback we've had in two decades is a bad thing. And if I didn't say 'at this point', then my bad, but AT THIS POINT Galloway offers very little going forward. Again, it's not an indictment of him as a player. I don't expect him to be amazing going forward because he is playing out of position as a LB. Go re-read any match thread he was playing in, the vast majority of him going forward are not complimentary. Can he gain this? Of course. But making it seem like I'm saying he's a waste of a player is what you read into, it's not what I'm saying.

Firstly, you have clouded memories if your think Hibbert was bang average. He was a very good defender. So I STILL don't get why comparing a young player to the best defensive fullback we've had in two decades is a bad thing. And if I didn't say 'at this point', then my bad, but AT THIS POINT Galloway offers very little going forward. Again, it's not an indictment of him as a player. I don't expect him to be amazing going forward because he is playing out of position as a LB. Go re-read any match thread he was playing in, the vast majority of him going forward are not complimentary. Can he gain this? Of course. But making it seem like I'm saying he's a waste of a player is what you read into, it's not what I'm saying.

Hibbert was always poor, was a classic example of a manager being able to get everything he could out of players to make them look half decent. In this current defensive setup Hibbert would be completely lost.

Hibbert was always poor, was a classic example of a manager being able to get everything he could out of players to make them look half decent. In this current defensive setup Hibbert would be completely lost.
Love your last sentence. It's brilliant. Because there's so many of our defensive players that look comfortable in this setup.

Love your last sentence. It's brilliant. Because there's so many of our defensive players that look comfortable in this setup.

You can still see the qualities that the likes of Jags and Coleman have.

Hibbert was average at best in a side that masked his vulnerabilities. Just a shame in my eyes that Coleman hadn't come along a few years earlier.

You can still see the qualities that the likes of Jags and Coleman have.

Hibbert was average at best in a side that masked his vulnerabilities. Just a shame in my eyes that Coleman hadn't come along a few years earlier.
It's revisionist to say he was an average defender. If there is one thing that Hibbert was above average in, it was straight up defending.

Think its clear after the comments from Baines and Jags its a matter of when not if with regards Mr Martinez.

Hopefully the next manager know the value of playing pro footballers in proper formations and has a firm grasp on how important balance is within a team structure.

*like if you agree

Status
Not open for further replies.