Away record

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought for more than a few years that Everton need to look long and hard at the apparent mental frailty of our players.

This isn't new, it goes back well into the David Moyes days and even longer.

I expect the club probably does employ the services of a sports sychologist maybe on a casual basis rather than a full time in-house position but, I'd suggest there needs to be a total re-evaluation of such personnel and some serious upgrades made sooner rather than later.

Far too often in recent years we've gone into games seemingly beaten before the kick-off, this is totally a mental issue and this was made massively worse by managerial statements such as "taking a knife to a gunfight" and being "Glad to get out alive".

Players hear a manager make statements like that and they will naturally retreat into their shell.
Managers and coaches need to be ultra positive and instil a feeling of absolute confidence otherwise, if we don't, then we might as well not bother.

Good tactical planning and physical skills are absolute necessities, but so too, maybe moreso is a positive, winning, never-say-die mental approach.

Right now, we have dreadful tactical planning, a mismatch of physical skills within the squad and nothing like the right mental approach ad attitude.
I totally agree with this, you never see Everton causing an upset in the way Wigan, Palace and others have done recently, to the point where the fans see big/important games as a foregone conclusion prior to the first whistle. As you said we are already beaten.

It has been proven in many sports that mental resilience is just important as talent itself and it amazes me Everton have done nothing to rectify this. Are they living in the past? Do they think they can just buy this mentality in players from other clubs? I just can’t get my head around it.

.... had a considerably better away record. 10th best in division compared to, er, 18th best in the division.

Whoops. Another corker for the Allardyce Miracle Worker Maskwearers.

One had been there for over a season, the other a few months.

The abysmal away record was already underway with Koeman. In fact, the Newcastle away win under Sam in December was the first away win since January 2017.

No big club tolerates that, says a lot about the support away from home, rarely empty seats with that record, no devine right to anything but I do feel those that go deserve better.

No big club tolerates that, says a lot about the support away from home, rarely empty seats with that record, no devine right to anything but I do feel those that go deserve better.

It's not even biased to suggest that we are one of the most underrated away supports in the Country. The Media very rarely give us credit, and instead choose to praise clubs like Newcastle who for years have taken the lower allocations at most grounds as Ashley didn't think they could sell all their tickets.

The only other club that I can think of that has been through worse times and still taken sell outs at nearly every away is Leeds who have obviously been through worse than us. Villa's away support has been impressive since going down but when they were at a similar level to us, and then started to slip a few years ago they had some pathetic turnouts.

Our away record is a disgrace though. Following Everton away provides little entertainment, and only clubs like West Brom and Stoke have been as poor as us in their results and failure to ever get any sort of stand out away win. Swansea are on the above list with 7 wins in 38 but unlike us, they can go to places like the Emirates and win, and Anfield.

It’s beyond a discrage and such a shame as I only get to Away games now due to living in London and because I prefer the crowd and atmosphere compared to home games.

I only have been going to Away games for the past 2 years since realising I could get tickets from some great people on here but have yet to see us win!

That statistic above is absolutely soul destroying. Far worse teams have won away at the Top 6 and we haven’t for I don’t know how long. Like are we actually cursed or something? Will I EVER see us win away?!

Also, with our Away support being as great and vocal as it is (hardly seen an empty seat anywhere I've been) I can't see what is actually so difficult about being able to perform as well Away as you can at Home? You can hear a coin drop at Goodison sometimes and our players can surely hear our Away fans more so chanting them on. Something is seriously wrong.

Just as bloody well we have a half decent return at Goodison or we'd be staring relegation in the face.

Been like a form of torture sitting down to watch us away for a long time now, a sense of inevitability about the misery that's about to unfold in front of your eyes.

The players probably feel the same, the wasters.

That Newcastle win, I drove up there that questioning my sanity, was great to come away with 3 points, however Newcastle were very unlucky that night and we got the scrappy goal, I was hoping it might be a turning point.
If offered 4 points away from the remaining games I'd take that right now, how funny would it be to send West Ham down final game haha

Also, with our Away support being as great and vocal as it is (hardly seen an empty seat anywhere I've been) I can't see what is actually so difficult about being able to perform as well Away as you can at Home? You can hear a coin drop at Goodison sometimes and our players can surely hear our Away fans more so chanting them on. Something is seriously wrong.

I've always wondered why the backing at least in terms of the numbers supporting them away doesn't spur them on. I could imagine going away as a player and seeing hundreds of empty seats in your away section would be demotivating, but our players never have that. Our players just crumble under the pressure of being away so many times.

Something else with our away record over the years is that we very rarely have exciting wins or cause an upset. If we go a goal behind late on, you just know that even though loads of other teams have had aways where they've scored 2 in the final 5-10 minutes we won't. If we go 2 goals down, it's game over, or at least our chance of winning is. If we get a big chance at a key moment against one of the top sides we will waste it no matter who the player is. And we only manage to beat the same kind of teams each season. The West Ham's, Newcastle, Sunderland, Aston Villa's.

We couldn't possibly go and get a Derby win. After getting ourselves level at the Anfield Derby in the Cup in front of 8,000, there is no way this lot would go and actually get a late winner for a memorable victory. Instead they shirk their responsibilities like they always do and concede a crushing late goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.