Match Thread ATK Irdning v Everton Saturday 14th July 4pm KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pass it about. Ease off. Don't shoot as much

Teams do this all the time when they have a big lead

Basically do what Germany did against Brazil in 2014

They still scored two more goals in the second half because Brazil were that bad, but they could have scored more than that if they'd wanted to

In your example though, once the game had been won Germany could conserve energy for the final. Smart thing to do.

What we have is the first game for a new manager and the possibility of up to 15 players needing to be culled from the squad. It was in their interests to impress Silva, if they had just knocked it around it would have been like handing in your own redundancy.

In your example though, once the game had been won Germany could conserve energy for the final. Smart thing to do.

What we have is the first game for a new manager and the possibility of up to 15 players needing to be culled from the squad. It was in their interests to impress Silva, if they had just knocked it around it would have been like handing in your own redundancy.

Not if he asked them to do it, which you could argue he and the coaching staff should have done

Had I been in his shoes I would have said at half time "Just lay off them lads", but that's just me I guess. I remember getting told that back in the day when I used to play at school and we'd be lucky enough to wallop someone. After a certain point you'd just ease up

Again though, it's not like it's a huge issue or anything, and they were rotten so we could have put the under 17's out there and probably still roasted them, but I get where people are coming from with the criticism and think it has some validity

Ultimately I think some of the criticism towards the club over this has been exaggerated

Birky had a good point in that we can sometimes go OTT one way or the other as a fan base, but I don't think that should detract from legitimate criticism when it rears its head

There's definitely legit critiques you could throw the clubs way over this, but they are minor at most. That being said, I don't think it's right to dismiss them out of hand and act like the people addressing them are being unreasonable

Just my take on this anyway

I don't think this match has helped the clubs image on the whole, but at the same time it's basically just a training session

You can argue that the club probably shouldn't have promoted and aired it, which would be valid IMO, and also argue that we overdid it battering them in such a way, which I think also has some merit, but ultimately it really isn't a big deal

We should just just roll our eyes and get on with things I think. No reason to pick this hill to die on when there's going to be a shed load of hills to come this season is all I'm saying. If this is the worst thing people make fun of Everton for this season then it's been a good season at the end of day

Not if he asked them to do it, which you could argue he and the coaching staff should have done

Had I been in his shoes I would have said at half time "Just lay off them lads", but that's just me I guess. I remember getting told that back in the day when I used to play at school and we'd be lucky enough to wallop someone. After a certain point you'd just ease up

Again though, it's not like it's a huge issue or anything, and they were rotten so we could have put the under 17's out there and probably still roasted them, but I get where people are coming from with the criticism and think it has some validity

But then that is surely unfair to the players that have been told to ease back? How would you feel if your direct rival for your position has gone and banged in a first half hat trick? I think that could cause problems in the dressing room right from the off. If you had 10 pre-season games then I think it wouldn't be so bad, but he needs to see which players to keep/off load before playing a settled team in the last few games or at least a half in those games. There isn't a lot of time.

Personally I am happy with the show us everything you have got attitude, least we can't say we will be starting the season undercooked.

But then that is surely unfair to the players that have been told to ease back? How would you feel if your direct rival for your position has gone and banged in a first half hat trick? I think that could cause problems in the dressing room right from the off. If you had 10 pre-season games then I think it wouldn't be so bad, but he needs to see which players to keep/off load before playing a settled team in the last few games or at least a half in those games. There isn't a lot of time.

Personally I am happy with the show us everything you have got attitude, least we can't say we will be starting the season undercooked.

Come on mate, he already knows who he wants, let's not pretend smashing X amount of goals past this lot would have the slightest bit of difference

Come on mate, he already knows who he wants, let's not pretend smashing X amount of goals past this lot would have the slightest bit of difference

While I'm with you that scoring x amount of goals against them has little meaning (like the free kick was not in the corner so would have been saved in a real game thus not really saying much), however I think yes although you have in your mind who you want that can change after a face to face conversations and certain personalities of players aligning with that individual manager. I think a lot of places are up for grabs and the players are responding accordingly which is the bare minimum you expect.

While I'm with you that scoring x amount of goals against them has little meaning (like the free kick was not in the corner so would have been saved in a real game thus not really saying much), however I think yes although you have in your mind who you want that can change after a face to face conversations and certain personalities of players aligning with that individual manager. I think a lot of places are up for grabs and the players are responding accordingly which is the bare minimum you expect.

I'd have to question any manager who would use that as a barometer for future selection decisions. It was a chance to give people a run out in a match situation purely for fitness purposes. You don't need to kill someone awful 22-0 to achieve that, and if the players were led to think that doing so could edge them ahead of someone else in the pecking order then I worry about the messages they've been getting from the coaching staff

How very British to suggest we should have eased off once the game was won. What utter codswallop. This is football, it's about winning. This was as easy a game as you can get so we got a ridiculous scoreline but that's no reason to back off.

The club want to improve and move forward. You don't do that by easing off even in the really easy games.

Cant understand why such a big deal is being made about the quality of the opposition that we played in our first pre-season game.

Plenty of premier league teams have started off their pre-season with games against extreme minnows. Liverpool putting 7 passed Chester who play in the 6th division of English football didn't receive any criticism as far as I'm aware - yet Everton playing a game against the team that hosted our training camp is seen as disgraceful and embarassing.

Play Bury now on Wednesday... Liverpool drew with them 0-0 on Saturday, though I'm sure if we batter them we'll be ridiculed again for playing crap teams to 'make us look good'.

Though I suppose it's not as if hypocrisy is a new thing among football fans and pundits.

I just hope when the 20th goes in against Liverpool this season, Marco hasn't got any intention of easing off.

What was the point in that though, laughably bad waste of a game, wonder who was responsible for arranging it cos they need an eye to be kept on them for any more judgements that awful.

Cant understand why such a big deal is being made about the quality of the opposition that we played in our first pre-season game.

Plenty of premier league teams have started off their pre-season with games against extreme minnows. Liverpool putting 7 passed Chester who play in the 6th division of English football didn't receive any criticism as far as I'm aware - yet Everton playing a game against the team that hosted our training camp is seen as disgraceful and embarassing.

Play Bury now on Wednesday... Liverpool drew with them 0-0 on Saturday, though I'm sure if we batter them we'll be ridiculed again for playing crap teams to 'make us look good'.

Though I suppose it's not as if hypocrisy is a new thing among football fans and pundits.

If it goes the other way, and we lose - my god, the uproar that'll ensue.

Status
Not open for further replies.