Are we over-achieving or under-achieving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say we are in the right position in the league, possibly a few points better off when we were robbed from 3 points in the Newcastle home game.

I agree with everyone that we are just about right position. But I do believe if our squad did hit form possibly 5th at most. But we all know with a thread bear squad that just won't happen.

Setting everything else to one side. I think given the quality of our first XI, we're probably performing at around par, if you look at the entire squad, then I'd say we're currently slightly over performing.

it's players that achieve success not money. look at the players those teams have at their disposal, from every team we'd say ah we'd take about 1 or 2, but no more. davek's right in saying it would be unnaceptable to finish below teams like stoke and sunderland, just because they overpay on gash players like jerome and titus bramble, doesn't mean we should finish below them.

Newcastle have a very strong team for next season.

Coloccini
Sissoko
Cisse
Ben Arfa
Cabaye
Debuchy
Gouffran
Krul

I'd take all of those in our squad without doubt.

Taking into consideration the stability the club has had and looking solely at the league through financiers eyes 7th is our place.

Once you start looking over a decade and you throw the cups in it's a different matter.

I think we are doing OK, but when you look at some of the points we have dropped its frustrating to think what could of been. (I know thats the same for every team but still)

I think we are more or less where we deserve to be, a few years ago I would have said we were easily punching above our weight, however for the past year or two I would say we have settled down a lot more and are were we deserve to be. I think if Jelavic had been scoring throughout the season, we would have been further up the table and could then have said we were punching above our weight, so in a way I can see the scoring drought for Jelavic keeping some of the wilder expectations in check for the time being.

Spot on. With our finances I think we are doing the best we can. Maybe at a pinch we could get into the top 4 (if we had a striker scoring regularly) but no chance of challenging for the title.
For this reason I believe we should put more energy into the cups which are attainable.
10th and below is underachieving unless we got a cup!

I'd say with the squad we have and the wages we pay we should finish between 5th and 8th every year anything else is over or under achieving. With any manager. So i'd say we've found our level.

I think our late season form that's been the norm the past few seasons, actually proves that we are in fact underachieving and have been for as long as this has been happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.