Are the fans part of the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there really is an equivalence for you between your connection to a football club and your responses to a poor film or theatre production then I think you may be missing the point of football as an in person spectator sport. It's true that the local football club as a community hub is diminished as an institution in the era of Sky Sports and multi-millionaire players but a live match is still a community event. If a film is poor you will avoid the director or lead actors work in the future, if a band is poor live you don't go and see them again, if Everton lost match going fans due to poor performance we would have one man and his dog in the stands. Some fans step over the line, it's true, and that's not acceptable, but for the fans, who the club truly means something to, responding to a poor performance is an emotional reaction not a measured appraisal of the quality of play. Without that reaction football is dead. If you break football down rationally, it is 22 millionaires shuttling a bag of air around a field, very infrequently putting that bag in a net over an hour and a half. Live sport and the support a fan gives a club goes beyond reason and is nothing like watching a bad film.
Don't disagree with anything you say there but we also do have to accept that if we feel positive support effects the team positively, then negative support has the opposite effect. So in answer to the original question 'Are the Fans Part of the Problem' then the answer is still 'Yes we are'

Nowt to do with the fans.

The sterile, turgid, losing home performances under Ancelotti last season put that shibboleth to rest.
I think it’s a bit of a siege mentality which is ingrained in us. There is a bit of fear of a relegation battle and the fans have sensed this the players sense it and the fans responded on Monday which overrides any discord going on at the club. When some fans left at the 27th minute the whole stadium burst spontaneously into chorus and I had this feeling from that moment that it was going be ok on Monday night, because even with the Disallowed Goals and their goal the last kick before half time that we was going to turn it round which is such a weird thing considering recent events. It’s the 1st time in a long time I felt the fans and the players where in it together irrespective of disagreements and opinion. That’s what this club is about for me. When the chips are down and things aren’t good we come out fighting.

Don't disagree with anything you say there but we also do have to accept that if we feel positive support effects the team positively, then negative support has the opposite effect. So in answer to the original question 'Are the Fans Part of the Problem' then the answer is still 'Yes we are'
Sure, but the fans can only respond honestly to what they observe. It's chicken and egg. Can the fans make a bad situation worse? Of course, but the fans don't take us from a good situation and make us lose. The fans are often made a scapegoat for the failings of others at the club, imo.

The support they got the other night was 2nd to none ......a great Goodison roar lifted them to victory
Yeah crowd was great the other night but has become a bit of a library these last few years. A friend sent me this after the derby.
IMG-20211202-WA0000.jpg

Yeah crowd was great the other night but has become a bit of a library these last few years. A friend sent me this after the derby. View attachment 147924
That’s just resignation on people’s faces because we all expected to see us get battered and that’s exactly what we were seeing. I don’t suppose the account showed the bottles being thrown and people getting carried out by police when suggesting it was a friendly derby did it.

Sure, but the fans can only respond honestly to what they observe. It's chicken and egg. Can the fans make a bad situation worse? Of course, but the fans don't take us from a good situation and make us lose. The fans are often made a scapegoat for the failings of others at the club, imo.
If we are looking for Chicken and Egg scenarios, then I'd say the vast majority of the fanbase pre-date any of the current players, coaching team and most of the boardroom too. The fan's (and Bullshit Billy) have been the one thing consistent about Everton's 30 year decline from grace, I really do think we should shoulder some of the blame for it.

If we are looking for Chicken and Egg scenarios, then I'd say the vast majority of the fanbase pre-date any of the current players, coaching team and most of the boardroom too. The fan's (and Bullshit Billy) have been the one thing consistent about Everton's 30 year decline from grace, I really do think we should shoulder some of the blame for it.
Honestly, after being a season ticket holder in the 90s I'm amazed the fans bother going at all the amount of dross that has been served up since then. The idea that the fans are responsible for Everton's decline is nonsense, Man City's fans barely show up to their games and their billionaire managed to get a tune out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.