Are the fans part of the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throwing this out there but I knew we were going to do something special tonight after Richies second disallowed goal. When Goodison gets angry, it is a very special place. More so that the plastic palaces of the Sky luvvies.

The problem is that it happens rarely and that half the time the atmosphere is like that of a funeral home.

We go nuts with injustice and perceived injustice but little else.

Reminds me a lot of what a Boca mate says about their fans " we dont care how bad we play, the result at the end is all that matters" and "if you dont support the players, stay at home and let a fan who wants to support them go to the game". We can win games on our own but we do it far too rarely.

Weve had to pút up with loads of muck, granted but the toxic atmosphere we regularly have, is not a place I would like to have to work in.

And lots of our players too by the looks of things.

Point made with lots of love and respect.

UTFT.

PS - May not get to Goodison before the new stadium is built. Could start crying even thinking of that.

Nowt to do with the fans.

The sterile, turgid, losing home performances under Ancelotti last season put that shibboleth to rest.

A run of decent performances & results will soon bring the positivity back amongst the fans & Goodison will be a place to fear again for opposition players.

Why is that acceptable in Football though and why can no-one see how totally counterproductive getting on your own team's back is?

Plenty of us have sat through [Poor language removed] films, theatre show and concerts but no-one would dream of standing up and screaming abuse at the performers for their lack of effort. Even in other sports, you don't generally shout abuse at the people you are there to support.

I don't really get it, if the team's performance is bothering you to the point where you feel you need to rant endlessly at individuals then why not just get up and walk out instead? Its got to better for your own sanity and blood pressure and in that mood you are absolutely no use to your team as a 'supporter'.
If there really is an equivalence for you between your connection to a football club and your responses to a poor film or theatre production then I think you may be missing the point of football as an in person spectator sport. It's true that the local football club as a community hub is diminished as an institution in the era of Sky Sports and multi-millionaire players but a live match is still a community event. If a film is poor you will avoid the director or lead actors work in the future, if a band is poor live you don't go and see them again, if Everton lost match going fans due to poor performance we would have one man and his dog in the stands. Some fans step over the line, it's true, and that's not acceptable, but for the fans, who the club truly means something to, responding to a poor performance is an emotional reaction not a measured appraisal of the quality of play. Without that reaction football is dead. If you break football down rationally, it is 22 millionaires shuttling a bag of air around a field, very infrequently putting that bag in a net over an hour and a half. Live sport and the support a fan gives a club goes beyond reason and is nothing like watching a bad film.

If the players work hard, show a bit of spirit and generally create the impression that they care about putting in a decent performance, they will enjoy the full support of all four corners of the Old Lady.

Players who fail to show commitment do not get the crowd cheering them on, nor do they deserve it. It's very simple, and it's correct.

I go the game on average 4 times a season (always promise more but never happens). It’s mad how different the atmosphere is each time I go.

Goodison can be electric, so I’m seriously gutted when I go and it’s dead. I’m always up for it and get frustrated when the crowd isn’t up for it…but what I have to remind myself is that I haven’t had to sit there in the cold for the several poor performances prior to the one I’m at, like all the season ticket holders do.

Saying that. I had a season ticket with my old man for 3 seasons back in the late 90’s. Maybe I’m looking at the past with rose tinted glasses….but I remember although the crowd was often angry and disappointed….at least it we were vocal!

I think there's two things. Yes our home crowd is less vocal we seem to always need that crunching tackle or offside rubbish or us to score to get us on our feet singing. Maybe it's just memory but supporting in the 80's with standing it was always very noisy pre kick off. Derby games Man U games especially. Now it's pretty lame a roar at Z Cars and kick off. Times are different but we need to raise our voices to create an atmosphere. That brings us to the next point is that we need a singing section and preferably a standing section with rail seats. But falls on deaf ears at the club I think.

Hard not to be influenced by the rubbish from the team the fans have had to put up with. Have had great support even when we was 2-1 down in the derby the fans trying to push the players on. Fans never a problem here is all on the club

Yep. It’s sad people would do that no empathy whatsoever. Imagine running on to be booed by your own support!
I think most fans just want pride, heart, fight from the players over the 90 minutes most can take defeat if the other team has earned it and we haven't rolled over, with Iwobi he's had so many chances to prove he seems committed to the team/club think at times its up to the player to get the fans back on side, just him not pulling out of a tackle for once may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.