2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
75CB6AF5-6967-49A1-A284-3A1560B8D32E.jpeg

How the hell are they able to spend it though with no financial implications?
You can take a very large bath (105 million pounds) in the transfer market once every three years, have the owner kick into the kitty and shrug it off without consequence even if you don't make it up through sales that season.

If they were showing a profit in preceding years, add that total to the 105 million pound bath that's allowable, so long as it gets covered somehow through increased revenue, player sales or what have you in subsequent years.

If those 2 deals Chelsea are trying to push through happen - they'll have spent around £330m this summer and recouped just £40m

After spending £220m just two years ago and recouping a mere £50m of that

I think Chelsea's accountants are better than ours - Or FFP just isn't working
They make tens of millions more than us via league placement money, get about five times what we get in shirt sponsorship, undoubtedly many millions more in corporate events and hospitality, plus don't forget they won the Champions League and constantly get to the knockoff phases. That's just off the top of my head.

We have about three hospitality seats at Goodison, earn 50p from Stake.com and get prize money for finishing 16th.

They make tens of millions more than us via league placement money, get about five times what we get in shirt sponsorship, undoubtedly many millions more in corporate events and hospitality, plus don't forget they won the Champions League and constantly get to the knockoff phases. That's just off the top of my head.

We have about three hospitality seats at Goodison, earn 50p from Stake.com and get prize money for finishing 16th.
Fair enough

They got about £70m for winning the champions League - and got about £40m more than us for their league finish

But, their annual salaries are £120m more than us (wiping those figures away)

I still think there's some massively creative accounting going on there

If those 2 deals Chelsea are trying to push through happen - they'll have spent around £330m this summer and recouped just £40m

After spending £220m just two years ago and recouping a mere £50m of that

I think Chelsea's accountants are better than ours - Or FFP just isn't working
FFP appears to be a contradiction. American Football has a far better system of a salary cap and draft system. Teams can get creative with the salary cap to compete for a Superbowl but they will likely pay for it further down the line. The attraction as a fan is every team could have their Superbowl window within every 5 years depending on who they draft and recruit in free agency.

Whilst Everton have obviously made some horrific signings in recent years it's tip of the iceberg stuff compared with say Manchester United. Even though they haven't competed in the domestic league over the past decade and missed out on the top 4 a few times they are seemingly able to justify their spending due to revenue, sponsorships etc when that should be irrelevant. Surely FFP should make it more of a level playing field amongst all the teams in the league, not widen the gap.

I understand but that should be irrelevant towards supposed FFP regulations. American football has a salary cap and draft system to prevent a couple of teams from just buying success every season.

FFP appears to be a contradiction. American Football has a far better system of a salary cap and draft system. Teams can get creative with the salary cap to compete for a Superbowl but they will likely pay for it further down the line. The attraction as a fan is every team could have their Superbowl window within every 5 years depending on who they draft and recruit in free agency.

Whilst Everton have obviously made some horrific signings in recent years it's tip of the iceberg stuff compared with say Manchester United. Even though they haven't competed in the domestic league over the past decade and missed out on the top 4 a few times they are seemingly able to justify their spending due to revenue, sponsorships etc when that should be irrelevant. Surely FFP should make it more of a level playing field amongst all the teams in the league, not widen the gap.
Nah drafts encourage losing which is the antithesis of sport. FFP is just an awfully designed system to keep the big clubs big.

Nah drafts encourage losing which is the antithesis of sport. FFP is just an awfully designed system to keep the big clubs big.
The draft system used in basketball largely prevents this and in practice in recent seasons very few NFL games are basically thrown by teams. Head Coaches aren't given much rope and they prioritise winning games even in losing seasons to build momentum into next season. If there's a potential generational QB talent touted as being drafted #1 then ok a few teams but try to acquire the #1 pick but it's still rare. My point was regarding the salary cap which is so much better than FFP

I fear that by holding out for more money and the fee supposedly rising to 60m, it has created so much backlash from the Chelsea fans that we could lose this deal.

I fear that by holding out for more money and the fee supposedly rising to 60m, it has created so much backlash from the Chelsea fans that we could lose this deal.
I am concerned that fears that Gordon is rubbish, won't get better, and is not worth going market rate has created so much backlash from some Everton fans that we could lose our best prospect and replace him with Che Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.