2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The goals against Brentford and Leeds earlier in the season filled me with a lot of confidence that this was a player who was rapidly improving, they were really impressive finishes on the left foot running at speed.

Since then he's been very ineffective. I make no apology about being very vocal and in the camp that he should have been sold in the summer, especially at some of the rumoured prices. I still hold that opinion even though it looked like he was going to go up a level this season in some of those earlier games.

It seems that he's far better on the left, and also far better away from home when he has space to run into. At Goodison he seems to get nullified very easily and becomes anonymous. Despite the fact that Gray is infuriating, he still gets heavily involved and sees lots of the ball even on his worst days. When Gordon isn't at it, it's like playing with 10 men. My biggest concern is his fitness, despite doing absolutely nothing against United, he still looked completely knackered coming off with about 25 minutes to go, which is surprising to say the least. A game out might do him good, although it's very annoying to lose his pace against an opponent who we will dominate us. To see him pick up 5 yellows already possibly points to a lack of maturity, he really shouldn't be getting that many in his position at this stage.

Good post, I think the best he has actually looked at home this season was when he played striker against Chelsea. But other than that he is been poor in the home games.

Haaland is older.

By a matter of months yes. My point was more that Haaland is actually one of the top young talents in Europe, and the gap in between him and Gordon is yawning. That’s not me saying Gordon has to be as good as Haaland either, that’s just stating a reality about what the elite talents look like and how we shouldn’t really throw that term around and heap pressure and expectation on our own youngsters.

By a matter of months yes. My point was more that Haaland is actually one of the top young talents in Europe, and the gap in between him and Gordon is yawning. That’s not me saying Gordon has to be as good as Haaland either, that’s just stating a reality about what the elite talents look like and how we shouldn’t really throw that term around and heap pressure and expectation on our own youngsters.

Haaland is one of the best players in the world and is nearly a year older than Gordon.

When I was comparing Gordon, it was to players if his age and younger, not players who are older.

But yes, Gordon will not be as good as Haaland. I doubt any player, of any age who has played in England in my lifetime will be as good as Haaland. He is going to break every scoring record. If that's the bar, then yes there has been 1 elite player in the last 30 years.

I have a slightly broader definition, and that would include 21 year olds top 3 teams are willing to bid 40m+ for. That puts him into a select group.

Haaland is a freak of nature.

No other young player in tje world even comes close.

It’s a completely unfair comparison.

Haaland is a freak of nature.

No other young player in tje world even comes close.

It’s a completely unfair comparison.

And a comparison again that nobody has made.

If peoples argument is hes bad as hes not as good as Haaland, then just about any footballer best give up for the next 30 years.

I think the problem for the lad is the reported Chelsea interest rocketed him from "potential striker at Everton" to elite player status without the usual buildup of a season of stellar performances. I don't think even he thought he was in that bracket but then in the blink of an eye the opportunity was gone.

I don't know what level Gordon can reach but he must be totally bemused right now and it's upset his game. Hopefully it's a temporary blip

Haaland is one of the best players in the world and is nearly a year older than Gordon.

When I was comparing Gordon, it was to players if his age and younger, not players who are older.

But yes, Gordon will not be as good as Haaland. I doubt any player, of any age who has played in England in my lifetime will be as good as Haaland. He is going to break every scoring record. If that's the bar, then yes there has been 1 elite player in the last 30 years.

I have a slightly broader definition, and that would include 21 year olds top 3 teams are willing to bid 40m+ for. That puts him into a select group.

Anthony Gordon is just not one of the top 21 year olds in Europe, it is not helpful to go around saying he is.

The only person who compared Anthony Gordon to elite 21 year old talents in Europe, was @catcherintherye

Yes and at the time of writing Haaland was 22. So I'm not sure why hes been brought into the conversation.

Look, just to clarify, I was comparing Gordon to 21 year olds, who play on his position. Not older players, who dont play in his position.

It shouldnt have to be said, but however we all rate Gordon, we can all agree he is not as good as Haaland, and will never be as good as Haaland. I doubt we will see a player in my lifetime as good as Haaland, but we live in hope.

Anthony Gordon is just not one of the top 21 year olds in Europe, it is not helpful to go around saying he is.

Ok mate.

A 40m+ bid, from an elite club suggests he was viewed as a player with high potential, and performing to a really good standard for a player of his age.

I'm sure there are lots of other examples of players his age and younger having bids of that level, but I cant think of many.

Whether he fulfils that potential, I dont know. I hope he does.

The reality is, most 21 year olds are very inconsistent in the PL. Ronaldo got 9 goals when he was 21. It's a tough league.

Yes and at the time of writing Haaland was 22. So I'm not sure why hes been brought into the conversation.

Look, just to clarify, I was comparing Gordon to 21 year olds, who play on his position. Not older players, who dont play in his position.

It shouldnt have to be said, but however we all rate Gordon, we can all agree he is not as good as Haaland, and will never be as good as Haaland. I doubt we will see a player in my lifetime as good as Haaland, but we live in hope.

Right ok. Here is a player who is exactly the same age as Gordon almost to the day (because that is crucial) AND plays exactly the same position.

Once again, Anthony Gordon is not one of the top 21 year olds in Europe. And that’s fine btw, you don’t have to be to play for Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.