2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
gords-jpg.176466

For clarity.

But they didn’t bid for him did they? That was a newspaper rumour that never led to anything. There were rumours that City and United were going to bid for Davies a few years ago.

Well Newcastle and Spurs enquired, from pretty firm sources. There's a reason why. Just as theres a reason why Thomas Tuchel identified him as a player he wanted.

I dont know of any bids for Davies. As a teenager Davies was well thought of, and went backwards.

I'm not going to dredge back through posts, but I remember saying young players, clarifying that this was his age.

Haaland is a whole different category. I dont know how much clearer I can make it. They're incomparable, are not the same age, were not the same age at the point of the comment, and do not play the same position.

As for being drunk or whatever after a game, I wasnt drunk, and it was made in pre season from memory, so couldnt have been after a game.

Why would somebody have to be drunk to think that Gordon is one of the better talented players, of his age or younger in Europe as of last summer? Were Chelsea's recruitment team drunk? Or Dan Ashworth? Or Conte? All of who'm bid/enquired after him for a pretty substantial fee?

Maybe someone just has a different opinion to a player, without needing to be drunk to do so?

On the other point, I have not labelled his career as a failure, or Osmans career, who I've generally defended as being a good servant. Surely though, what's more likely to trash someone's career is to insert an older, better player who is arguably the best player-of any age- into a discussion by way of some measuring stick? His career, and just about anybody elses career over the coming decades will look a failure compared to Haaland.
It wasn’t a genuine accusation of being drunk mate, it was a light hearted attempt to say maybe you didn’t really mean it but fair enough if you did. I don’t know if you’re drunk now but your complete inability to process the information that all these caveats you keep mentioning weren’t there originally is getting a bit silly now so I think I’ll bow out at this point.

Well Newcastle and Spurs enquired, from pretty firm sources. There's a reason why. Just as theres a reason why Thomas Tuchel identified him as a player he wanted.

I dont know of any bids for Davies. As a teenager Davies was well thought of, and went backwards.
Davies was left to rot on the bench.

Not saying he would have become "more", but our handling of the lad was pretty poor.

Another important thing to consider is that newspapers make up crap.
Im staying out of this Mike.

I just wanted to inject something regards young Tom.

I made my feelings clear with regards Gordon, we were silly to turn down anything over 40million.

Its questionable whether anybody even bid that high tho.

Hes here now, so it is what it is.

It wasn’t a genuine accusation of being drunk mate, it was a light hearted attempt to say maybe you didn’t really mean it but fair enough if you did. I don’t know if you’re drunk now but your complete inability to process the information that all these caveats you keep mentioning weren’t there originally is getting a bit silly now so I think I’ll bow out at this point.

Fair enough mate.

I'm afraid I cant blame alcohol for any exuberance on here! When drunk, I would not come on here.

With Gordon, that's my belief. The PL is a thats league, and 21 year olds dont typically fair too well. I'm happy to give a rundown of pros and cons as to why I arrived at such a conclusion, but the moment may be lost.

He has to keep improving, and that is a big danger/concern I have. What is very good/world class/exceptional (etc) at 21 is average at 25. You sort of see that with Richarlison who never really upped his output in terms of goals.

I dont think he arrives at that destination here, so for me, I'm happy to hedge the risk and sell. It's a bit of a boring approach, that takes the joy out of it, but sometimes pragmatism wins out.

It was simply for clarity mate, I wasnt using it as a stick.

No I know. I was just outlining what was or wasnt said.

I'm a bit long in tbe tooth, but genuinely cant see how people can read that and conclude that hes better than Haaland, who 6 months later is annihilating the PL.

You can hardly say I'm unafraid to make contrarian statements as well. If I thought he was better than Haaland, I'd have said, hes better than Haaland. Hes not, and will never be.

No I know. I was just outlining what was or wasnt said.

I'm a bit long in tbe tooth, but genuinely cant see how people can read that and conclude that hes better than Haaland, who 6 months later is annihilating the PL.

You can hardly say I'm unafraid to make contrarian statements as well. If I thought he was better than Haaland, I'd have said, hes better than Haaland. Hes not, and will never be.
Everything that made him "good" seems to have completely disappeared this season.

He got the 2 goals and I really thought he would kick on from that.

Still very early days tho.

So for clarity, clearly states players younger than Gordon, not older like Haaland.

Worth noting, not a comment made on a match day.

But yes, that's obviously me, drunk, on a matchday saying Gordon is better than Haaland. God help us!
For clarity, that isn’t your original post, your caveats have been added by this point because lots of people laughed at the original claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.