2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s just blossoming . he had all the attributes from the get go. Turn of pace quickness of thought , spacial awareness, good shot on him . Just slowly starting to click in place all together . Lampard will fine tune him . Might start using my season ticket again after the last tactical genius departed

He’s just blossoming . he had all the attributes from the get go. Turn of pace quickness of thought , special awareness, good shot on him . Just slowly starting to click in place all together . Lampard will fine tune him . Might start using my season ticket again after the last tactical genius departed
When he gets a little more strength on him, (been called up in this before) a little more beef on him to ride challenges and not get knocked off his stride, this lad will be a right handful for full backs

I do have a question. I don't follow the youth development very much but I generally know when we are supposed to have a player coming into the first team that likely is expected to make it. Like Barkley as an example...I knew he was supposed to be the real deal a couple of seasons before he broke through.

Like I obviously knew of Anthony, but I don't recall much hype coming up (like Barkley).

Is that just down to my ignorance or did he sort of come out of nowhere?
I think he was known, just very young to make a breakthrough.

I don't get why people doubted him.

He's always had superb technical abilities. His crossing and set pieces are insane.
Even in lockdown he showed great technique.

He's always had a turn of pace. Genuinely can't think what he did to give off the impression that he was not good enough.
I think he lacked confidence when he played under Ancelotti at times, he looked like he was trying to do too much sometimes and at other times he’s looked too shackled.
I also swear he never blew defenders away like he has at times this season, his short burst acceleration seems to be on another level this year!
It was always clear he was a player, but the question was if he was athletic enough and had the top player mentality… this season he’s answered those questions with an emphatic YES

I think he lacked confidence when he played under Ancelotti at times, he looked like he was trying to do too much sometimes and at other times he’s looked too shackled.
I also swear he never blew defenders away like he has at times this season, his short burst acceleration seems to be on another level this year!
It was always clear he was a player, but the question was if he was athletic enough and had the top player mentality… this season he’s answered those questions with an emphatic YES

He never did, its also worth noting he went out on loan and did nothing and was hooked a few times.

Im not Ancelotti's biggest fan but I cant really blame him for not persisting with him as he wasn't doing the business for whatever reason.

This season he's a different player - he, Benitez and the coaching staff deserve a lot of praise for the hard work they've put in on the training ground these past few months.

Lets hope there is more to come and his glass ceiling is higher than Barkley and Davies.

He never did, its also worth noting he went out on loan and did nothing and was hooked a few times.

Im not Ancelotti's biggest fan but I cant really blame him for not persisting with him as he wasn't doing the business for whatever reason.

This season he's a different player - he, Benitez and the coaching staff deserve a lot of praise for the hard work they've put in on the training ground these past few months.

Lets hope there is more to come and his glass ceiling is higher than Barkley and Davies.
In fairness, we probably all make the transition from being a gauche, maladroit, gawky kid into a respectable young adult with true potential (both personally and in work) over the space of a year or two. That might happen from 17 to 20/21 for a late developer. I suspect Gordon's improvement is less to do with training and more to do with the switch from adolescence to young adulthood. Good on him, though, for achieving that change.

I recall a game under Ancelotti he played off the left and stunk the gaff out. Couldn’t control a ball that day. This year he has been another level though. If he improves his finishing he will be a brilliant player for us. I think Rooney set the bar too high for other youngsters coming through. Rooney was a special case but I do think Gordon has more about him mentally than the likes of Rodwell and Barkley.

I recall a game under Ancelotti he played off the left and stunk the gaff out. Couldn’t control a ball that day. This year he has been another level though. If he improves his finishing he will be a brilliant player for us. I think Rooney set the bar too high for other youngsters coming through. Rooney was a special case but I do think Gordon has more about him mentally than the likes of Rodwell and Barkley.
Rodwell was incredible. The poor bloke was simply injury prone. He oozed class and it was sad to see that although he got contracts and is probably very wealthy, he never became an international superstar. He had the skill but not the body.

Let's just enjoy Gordon at the moment and be glad his purple patch is at a time when we need it most.

He will go through bad patches as well and we need to be patient with him then.
I dont see those being too prolonged tbh.

My biggest fear for him is a bad injury.

This lad is our best player now and he's going to be our best player for years.

Rodwell was incredible. The poor bloke was simply injury prone. He oozed class and it was sad to see that although he got contracts and is probably very wealthy, he never became an international superstar. He had the skill but not the body.
I always saw it totally the other way with Rodwell, he looked like he should be a great footballer but he actually had very little to back it up with. I think it showed that he'd played centre half as a kid and them moved to midfield because he wasn't tough enough, he never really looked like a top class midfielder to me at all.

Gordon looks a completely different player to the one we saw last year and earlier this. He often seemed to be playing within himself and taking the easy option all the time but over the last couple of months he's stepped it up a couple of levels. He needs to keep working on his fitness as a priority though, he puts in a lot of work but he's consistently gassing after an hour which he needs to address.

I always saw it totally the other way with Rodwell, he looked like he should be a great footballer but he actually had very little to back it up with. I think it showed that he'd played centre half as a kid and them moved to midfield because he wasn't tough enough, he never really looked like a top class midfielder to me at all.

Gordon looks a completely different player to the one we saw last year and earlier this. He often seemed to be playing within himself and taking the easy option all the time but over the last couple of months he's stepped it up a couple of levels. He needs to keep working on his fitness as a priority though, he puts in a lot of work but he's consistently gassing after an hour which he needs to address.
Cant agree with first para. Second is accurate I think.

For me Rodwell always looked like a CB who had been put in midfield. He looked a bit lost. Technically he was very good though. Would've been interesting to see how he'd have done if he'd been played as a CB instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.