2020/21 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
With each passing day I'm getting more and more onboard with the idea of Gordon/Nkounku on the left against Newcastle. They may be short of experience, but they certainly won't be short of effort.

It's still very early in the season like.. I do think we can get away with trying it for one game at least.

Right. Also not like we have much of an option. Nkounkou has to play because we have no one else. Now Iwobi might still play, but it would not be a shocker if Gordon starts. Iwobi was just all kinds of terrible last game.

Gordon on the shoulder of the last defender and James cutting in and switching it to him so he's one vs one. You would fancy Gordon so much than Iwobi in that scenario. There was a similar moment against Southampton when Iwobi managed to slow thigns down enough for all their defenders to get back, Digne to overlap him (only to be ignored) and for Iwobi to then kick it against a defender once the chance had gone - I'd expect Gordon to be getting a shot or cut back off much earlier.

Gordon on the shoulder of the last defender and James cutting in and switching it to him so he's one vs one. You would fancy Gordon so much than Iwobi in that scenario. There was a similar moment against Southampton when Iwobi managed to slow thigns down enough for all their defenders to get back, Digne to overlap him (only to be ignored) and for Iwobi to then kick it against a defender once the chance had gone - I'd expect Gordon to be getting a shot or cut back off much earlier.

I agree. It was so disappointing to see Iwobi fail to inject any pace, or create something. He went backwards passing the responsibility onto others. He really seems to lack basic skills plus he is under-coached.

He is a big problem for Carlo.

Gordon needs to start in the next two games and be given a Johnny Morrissey tape to study.

I agree. It was so disappointing to see Iwobi fail to inject any pace, or create something. He went backwards passing the responsibility onto others. He really seems to lack basic skills plus he is under-coached.

Gordon needs to start in the next two games and be given a Johnny Morrissey tape to study.
Moggsy was a one off, tricky, great crosser, could beat a man and oh dearie me, was he a hard case. He could play you off the park or kick you off the park.

He needs to beef up a bit if he’s going to get up to some of the stuff Mr M did, what a player he was ;) ;)!

There were 2 balls played through in the first half v. Saints to Iwobi ( one from Keane / one from James ) that Richarlison or Gordon would have turned into breakaways.

Carlo when asked whether he could start said, it's not about him just being in the starting XI it's about being the squad and contributing when asked upon. Got the feeling that he doesn't see him as a starter, as he deflected it away.
Just sounded like a typical diplomatic Ancelotti-esque answer to me. Still has every chance of starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.