2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope if come February or March we are again in the regrettable position of only competing for Europa League we don't make the mistakes of prior years and not give youngsters any minutes. I don't know how well the likes of Lookman, Vlasic and even Kenny or Davies would have done but I see no reason they shouldn't have been given the experience.

It makes even less sense when the players who played instead were all players who are probably not improving anymore and therefore aren't going to ever be good enough to take us up the table. Are Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Bernard and Coleman going to anchor our next top 4 push? I'd say no. Those young players might not have either but I think the answer is much more to be determined than it is with the group we gave all the minutes to and that is a missed opportunity. With Gordon (and Gibson, Iwobi, and Davies again), let's not miss the chance.

I hope if come February or March we are again in the regrettable position of only competing for Europa League we don't make the mistakes of prior years and not give youngsters any minutes. I don't know how well the likes of Lookman, Vlasic and even Kenny or Davies would have done but I see no reason they shouldn't have been given the experience.

It makes even less sense when the players who played instead were all players who are probably not improving anymore and therefore aren't going to ever be good enough to take us up the table. Are Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Bernard and Coleman going to anchor our next top 4 push? I'd say no. Those young players might not have either but I think the answer is much more to be determined than it is with the group we gave all the minutes to and that is a missed opportunity. With Gordon (and Gibson, Iwobi, and Davies again), let's not miss the chance.

Only competing for the Europa league?

I mean its only certain fans who think the Europa league is a poisoned chalice.

Some fans, me for 1 and the people in charge of the club consider Europa league a season goal, also with 2m a league placing on offer and no doubt a few little bumps from sponsorship, playing people who clearly arent good enough isnt very worthwhile.

Only competing for the Europa league?

I mean its only certain fans who think the Europa league is a poisoned chalice.

Some fans, me for 1 and the people in charge of the club consider Europa league a season goal, also with 2m a league placing on offer and no doubt a few little bumps from sponsorship, playing people who clearly arent good enough isnt very worthwhile.
If the choice is making the Europa league this year or finishing 9th but making tangible progress to having a side with the quality and depth to compete in the league and Europe in 2-3 years I am firmly in the latter group.

If the choice is making the Europa league this year or finishing 9th but making tangible progress to having a side with the quality and depth to compete in the league and Europe in 2-3 years I am firmly in the latter group.

And im in the "if players are good enough, they will break through, if not, they will end up in League One with the rest of the no marks" camp.

You need to let Lookman go, hes let you down.

The park end will have his confidence destroyed by mid-january, he will leave to get away from us and we will start a thread with people desperately hoping he fails and spending too much energy on these hopes. It is the natural everton cycle

The cycle is more like this.

Promising youngster comes into team and makes a decent impression playing without any fear off the bench.

Fans immediately think he’s the next Rooney and start berating anyone who will listen that the lad should be starting and in fact should be playing in centre mid or striker rather than on the wing

Every press conference becomes about why the manager is not playing this kid more

Manager starts to play kid more from the start but proves to not be as effective so gets subbed off a few times

Media continue to hype player up despite the performances not really matching this

Player starts giving it the big one because he was promised he’d be a star and is now back on the bench.

Rift appears between fans and player

Player gets agent to engineer move to London

Fans get on the internet to blame the fans for booing the player although minimal booing actually ever occurred.

And im in the "if players are good enough, they will break through, if not, they will end up in League One with the rest of the no marks" camp.

You need to let Lookman go, hes let you down.
It's not just Lookman. Vlasic is honestly the bigger problem right now as he's playing at a level in Russia that will see him moving back to a better league and probably to a better team than ours

I think players will break through if they're good enough and get a proper chance. The last few years at our club proper chances have only come to young players through injury. Senior players are given leeway to under perform for months on end without ever losing a spot. It would be nice if at a minimum when we are to the end of the season competing for very little we would try something new.

The cycle is more like this.

Promising youngster comes into team and makes a decent impression playing without any fear off the bench.

Fans immediately think he’s the next Rooney and start berating anyone who will listen that the lad should be starting and in fact should be playing in centre mid or striker rather than on the wing

Every press conference becomes about why the manager is not playing this kid more

Manager starts to play kid more from the start but proves to not be as effective so gets subbed off a few times

Media continue to hype player up despite the performances not really matching this

Player starts giving it the big one because he was promised he’d be a star and is now back on the bench.

Rift appears between fans and player

Player gets agent to engineer move to London

Fans get on the internet to blame the fans for booing the player although minimal booing actually ever occurred.
anyone who bothers to watch meaningless press conferences needs another hobby

everyone has different performance levels, no consistent pattern for this

the media don't care about our players, your expectations are your own responsibility.

I can only think of one player who moved to london, hardly an epidemic

and check the world football thread for the bizarre outpouring of hatred for former players

To be honest, he’s been very unlucky at Bristol city. When he first joined in the January they where in play offs. And though they started to lose matches and drop out of the play off places the manager kept picking the same players. And Walsh was on the bench.

And the same at the start of last season, he finally got his chance and was very good, city fans were raving about him, he only played a handful of games and then got injured and was out for the season.

Not sure what’s happened this season as he’s not even getting on the bench, is he struggling with injuries or has he just missed the boat. I still think he will end up playing a season or two in the prem in the future.
He came on in a couple of games as a substitute but haven’t heard about him for a while: I haven’t give up on this kid, he had the talent and endeavour to be a good player, maybe he was a bit hasty in leaving the club, on the other hand he was fed up playing U21 and U23 football, which to some players is boring to play in, and it can be certainly boring to watch with it’s nearly non contact tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.