2019/20 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't mean the last 5 games weren't a good time to find out. Especially with Davies. Gomes getting suspended for more or less meaningless games was a great opportunity and we got Schneiderlin instead for all of them.

And I know we got 4 million more for finishing 8th instead of 10th that's not more valuable than seeing if young players can make it.

People always put so much stock in yoots.

Rooney, Barkley, their names rang out for many years before they broke through.

I honestly dont like slating young players, but it just annoys me how much stock people put in Underage footy, its NOT a breeding ground for talent, its a graveyard.

Lets hope this boy is more Rooney than Kissock.

People always put so much stock in yoots.

Rooney, Barkley, their names rang out for many years before they broke through.

I honestly dont like slating young players, but it just annoys me how much stock people put in Underage footy, its NOT a breeding ground for talent, its a graveyard.

Lets hope this boy is more Rooney than Kissock.
I totally agree. That's why I think despite our lack of success with loans recently we should still be doing them and it's why I think when we are presented with a 5 game stretch at the end of the season to decide nothing more than 8th-10th we should be getting players who might have a chance on the field.

I totally agree. That's why I think despite our lack of success with loans recently we should still be doing them and it's why I think when we are presented with a 5 game stretch at the end of the season to decide nothing more than 8th-10th we should be getting players who might have a chance on the field.
In this modern era of football, I really think if you haven't shown that you are premier league capable by the age of 19-21 and don't have a starting spot nailed downthen you will struggle.

That's for teams up the top and teams hoping to mix it with them

Probably the only one out of our current crop of youngsters who could potentially make the step up imo.
Add Lewis Gibson to that list, although Gordon, if he makes it to the top, will be a much more exciting player to watch, never had much doubt about Anthony’s ability, just that he didn’t relish the rough stuff and seemed to fade from a lot of games, looks like someone has been down his ear over that part of his game and he is getting stuck in and giving it out as much as he is getting it. This part of his game increases his chance of making it to the top enormously. Keep it up lad, you could have a huge fan club in the near future.

Yep, training with the 1st team playing with the U23s is the near term plan and I’m happy with that . With his pace and skill , Gordon offers the U23s something different than last years Hornby/Sambou as strikers , Broadhead/Bowler out wide. Without them four Unsworth needs to change his plans and adapt , and players like Iversen, Carroll and Adeniran can supply the through balls for Gordon .
Bobby Carroll is another player well worth watching, justback after injury, Bobby knows the game and is a solid team player, always does what is best for the team at his own expense.

We do have a good record in producing footballers that can make a decent living out of the game but it is far more difficult to bring through a player that will make a very good Premiership player.

At Everton, I am sure it is the same at other clubs, we expect far too much too soon from young players. It is only a few weeks ago that people were calling for Simms to be brought into the first team even though he is barely ready for the under 23s.

Gibson and Gordon would appear to be the two young players that have the best chance of making the grade and it appears are training now as part of the first team squad .
They may get minutes on the pitch before the end of the season if they continue to impress but next season may be a more likely target for both.

It doesn't mean the last 5 games weren't a good time to find out. Especially with Davies. Gomes getting suspended for more or less meaningless games was a great opportunity and we got Schneiderlin instead for all of them.

And I know we got 4 million more for finishing 8th instead of 10th that's not more valuable than seeing if young players can make it.
If you have to throw young players into the side to see if they can make it, they probably can't make it. The players who make it will more often than not be the players who the coaches have thought will make it for the last couple of years. There will be the odd surprise package who blooms later, but even then, the coaches should be well aware whether they're likely to be top players or not. Not many players have left our youth system and made us regret it, I believe that's because we're good at judging who will make it and who won't, and at giving opportunities to players who deserve them.

He’s doing fine so far this season. Good performances and goals for our U19s and U23s s and good performances for England U19s in a team with some sparkling talent - but to put into perspective none of the England U19s are currently holding down a PL first team place. Gordon is right in there with them , no need for him or any of them to be rushed into PL action too soon.
The most encouraging bit is that he’s regularly training with the 1st team and therefore under the eye of Silva/ Brands so it’s not just Unsworth deciding where and when he plays. The reports coming out are also encouraging , with Delph singing his praises the other day, think he called him “ Gords” though, shudder.

If you have to throw young players into the side to see if they can make it, they probably can't make it. The players who make it will more often than not be the players who the coaches have thought will make it for the last couple of years. There will be the odd surprise package who blooms later, but even then, the coaches should be well aware whether they're likely to be top players or not. Not many players have left our youth system and made us regret it, I believe that's because we're good at judging who will make it and who won't, and at giving opportunities to players who deserve them.
True.
The entire game has become such a science now and so much is known about young players regarding physiology, temperament background etc. that the chances of somebody slipping through the net and becoming a star elsewhere are slim.

Unfortunately, I do think the down side of this is that the maverick streak is now coached out of young players and whereas they all have the skills needed in abundance you really don't see that many young players who would get you out of your seat and are totally unpredictable.

It's not like playing Davies or Kenny would be throwing them in. They were around the team all season. I'm simply saying they could have played some actual games at the end. I'm not suggesting we should have given Charsley a go.

It's not like playing Davies or Kenny would be throwing them in. They were around the team all season. I'm simply saying they could have played some actual games at the end. I'm not suggesting we should have given Charsley a go.
Well that makes even less sense. What exactly would the coaches have learnt from giving Davies those 5 games that they couldn't learn from watching the previous 89 games he'd played for us? It would just be picking him for the sake of it, which would be absolutely pointless.

Anyway, I've not seen a huge amount of Gordon, but I have liked the little I've seen. He certainly impressed me the most of the young lads on show at Wigan in pre-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.