Angry Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ipswich in the cup,1980,a fine team were Robsons men,battered us at the old lady 4-0 a couple of weeks previous,nobody gave us an earthly,Goodison got angry,we emerge victorious 2-1.
Remember it well ! The 4-0 game could have been 9-0. I don't honestly know why I bothered a week or 2 later, but like you said, the atmosphere
was fantastic.

The second leg against Bucharest, we won on the night but were well out the tie because of the shambles over there, near the end of the game one of their grocks absolutely wipes out Mikel Arteta to the point he was convulsing on the pitch. After the initial hushed silence their players got unrelentingly boo’d every time they touched the ball for the rest of the game. If it’d have happened earlier in the game then that sheer hatred might have seen us overturn that 4 goal deficit I reckon

The second leg against Bucharest, we won on the night but were well out the tie because of the shambles over there, near the end of the game one of their grocks absolutely wipes out Mikel Arteta to the point he was convulsing on the pitch. After the initial hushed silence their players got unrelentingly boo’d every time they touched the ball for the rest of the game. If it’d have happened earlier in the game then that sheer hatred might have seen us overturn that 4 goal deficit I reckon

The first leg still angers me to this day.

Dinamo were absolutely terrible too!

I was going to mention this game, think it was Turner the goalkeeper who got sent off in first few minutes. Ruddy came on or it may be other way around ! But yeah I agree the crowd levels of anger was so intense and got us through that game. Also the Oldham cup game mentioned earlier, up there with the worst and most shambolic refereeing performances I've ever seen. Tony Ward was his name, incompetent isn't the word.
Could be a decent quiz question,that. Name the five goalkeepers to play for us in the prem in the 05/06 season.

Remember Birmingham about 15 years ago. The game was boring and floating towards a 1-1 draw. No one in the crowd could be arsed, no one on the pitch seemed to have any urgency in them. Next thing Birmingham dont kick the ball back after we had hit it out and the place erupted, completely transformed from a library into a bear pit, their players visibly shrunk and we scored twice in the last minute.

Quite fitting that our last game there before the plague was angry Goodison at its finest when we scored the goal against Man Utd and it got ruled out because Sigurdsson was ‘interfering’ with play.

I lost my voice after that game screaming abuse at the ref.

Took a mate from Australia to the Arsenal game in 2014. He loved football but had never been to a match before - this was his first time overseas. We had seats near the front of the Upper Gwladys and he was loving the atmosphere as we went 2-0 up. Kept buzzing off the singing and looking round in wonder, like a kid at Christmas.

Then the lack of fitness training under Martinez became apparent as we ran out of legs and conceded two goals in the last five minutes. My mate then experienced a proper Goodison anger meltdown and still talks about it whenever I see him.

Too young to have seen it myself but surprised no one has mentioned The Battle Of Goodison yet...
It sounds astonishing!
I mean... when the Ambulancemen are saying things like this....

I mean... when the Ambulancemen are saying things like this....
Talked about this a few weeks ago. Their was a video with Charlton hunter and reaney made not long ago. They all commented on the most intimidating ground being goodison. They said after one game the police told them to lie on the floor in the team coach and sure enough th windows started to go in and revie was on the floor laughing shouting at them that it was all their fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.