Angry Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also on angry Goodison. Its true that in big games most players, especially in the north west will say its the most intimidation ground in the country.

The closeness to the pitch helps but I genuinely feel it is that our supporters feel as committed/passionate about their club as any in the UK. Most surveys show this and that our supporters care least about the national team/others etc. We want solely for our club to win (and of course the Redsshyte to lose) and nothing else in football really matters.

I feel this is starting to fade however. You only have to read all the PC stuff on this forum to see the tribal nature of football is changing. The stuff about wanting to watch attractive football even if it is not winning football makes me want to weep. The tribals/angry side is in someways childish and primal but lets be honest when involved in it, its intoxicating and life affirming.
The match pc has reflected what has happened in the country. Everyone well mostly everyone can be offended nowadays. Social media has made this even worse. Someone says something someone dosnt like and they can mount a campaign on social media about him. Others then pile in. People call people on here when they don't agree with them. They just call them names when they can't mount an alternative argument. Same people probably wouldn't say anything to that person if he met them.
But it's the norm now. People are quiet at matches cos they worry about offending someone. CCTV can make a case against you. Look at the Chelsea rent boys argument. And the lad on CCTV accused of racial abuse against son. He was convicted on social media but a investigation found nothing.
Here ended the lesson!

Speaking of angry Goodison, who was the Europa league team that bought a load of nutters and next game we had that net in place ?

There's a lot to be said for the hostile, claustrophobic, nature of Goodison. A United fan at work reckons it's far more intimidating than Anfield. Hope we can transfer it to the new ground.

It is brilliant when it is at its best. I always think that we would be great at doing the whole continuous booing, whistling and disparaging of the opposition whenever they are in possession, at least for the big games.

The RS didn’t invent it, it’s been happening in Europe for years. I do think it’s very effective though, and that it affects even the very best of players, and considering that we are the best boo-ers in the Universe, we really should add it to our arsenal.

Totally agree.

Since I’ve started going to games again over the last 2 years (long story) what has surprised me is how quiet the atmosphere has been; it’s appalling. Upsetting even.
I miss angry Goodison. I want it to again be a place of fear for opposing teams.

It is deathly quiet these days. It must affect the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.