----------------------
Uefa Cup --
5th Villa
6th Everton
-----------------------
If top 4 win FA Cup or Carling Cup -
7th Hull
8th Pompey

According to Wiki, that would be the case. But Wiki isn't a source that you can trust as gospel. But yeah, the upshot is that we can finish 8th this year and still qualify for the UEFA. Sounds wrong somehow.

Its confusing me!!!

Okay hypothetically then if the league finshed like this --

Champions League -
1st Chelsea
2nd Man Utd
3rd Liverpool
4th Arsenal
----------------------
Uefa Cup --
5th Villa
6th Everton
-----------------------
If top 4 win FA Cup or Carling Cup -
7th Hull
8th Pompey

Yes a place goes to both cup winners, so a CL team would have to win both, BUT doesnt the FA Cup place go the runners up of the Cup if its won by a CL team or a team already in the UEFA? So infact that would only mean top 7? FFS now im confused......

Top 6 is in for sure, thats our goal, worry about "the lesser places" if we need to. :D

Yes a place goes to both cup winners, so a CL team would have to win both, BUT doesnt the FA Cup place go the runners up of the Cup if its won by a CL team or a team already in the UEFA? So infact that would only mean top 7? FFS now im confused......

Top 6 is in for sure, thats our goal, worry about "the lesser places" if we need to. :D

Yeah, you're right. The runners up would get the UEFA spot.

Unless those runners up were from the top 6! lol

Last edited:
I'm glad everyones confused, it means I am not alone.lol

By the way Andy Gray If we go on a run after Chelsea, didn't you mean starting at Chelsea. Come on mate, get on message as they say in the media;)

5th is very possible if we keep up our form. Villa aren't anything special and they've also got the Uefa cup to deal with. O'Neil tends to use the same players so hopefully they'll get burn out like we did towards the end of last season.

We definatly need to get one or two players in January though, that is a must. Hopefully an extra wide player and a striker.

Everyting you say here Toxteth is spot on. Villa are not anything to write home about. We are in a decent position without playing to good in all honesty. We have yet to hit a purple patch which will happen during the second half of the season. Villa's good run will burn out, European commitments will catch up with them. Then you have Hull who will fall away although you cannot take away from them what they have done so far this season. After that who else can challenge in what is quickly becoming a poor looking league??

Everyting you say here Toxteth is spot on. Villa are not anything to write home about. We are in a decent position without playing to good in all honesty. We have yet to hit a purple patch which will happen during the second half of the season. Villa's good run will burn out, European commitments will catch up with them. Then you have Hull who will fall away although you cannot take away from them what they have done so far this season. After that who else can challenge in what is quickly becoming a poor looking league??

I would say Spurs could still yet make a run for it. It really depends on how 'Arry performs in the motivation department and on whether he's given money to strengthen. I wouldn't rule them out at this point.

Quite possibly, i cant disagree with you there. They do have to go on a good run however. At the minute, there blowing hot and cold and look lost without Berbatov and dare i say it, Keane!

Quite possibly, i cant disagree with you there. They do have to go on a good run however. At the minute, there blowing hot and cold and look lost without Berbatov and dare i say it, Keane!

They do miss Keane. I'd say they were outsiders to be honest. But when you look at their squad and remember that Redknapp is great at the old man management thing, you have to keep an eye on them. A lot depends on their form over the next few weeks. If they lose a couple, they're out for the season. If they go on a winning streak, they'll be there challenging with us and Villa.

That's one of the changes, I believe. That the runners-up don't qualify.

Yep i remember that being announced at some point.

Lets put it this way. If we win the fa cup we are in Europe.

If we finish 5th or 6th we are in Europe.

If we finish 7th we will be in Europe if one of the teams above us have won the fa cup or carling cup and a team from below us win the other.

If we finish 8th we will be in Europe if 1 team above us wins both cups or 2 teams from above us win 1 each.

Right?

Villa have only recently hit a good run of form only up untill a couple of weeks ago, a win or a draw for us a t goodison would have changed the whole complextion if we could go on a run, we could catch them easy.

I cant see anyone really to challenge us, Hull will start picking up draws, city wont play in the winter, spurs have a lot of ground to make up and are facing there own striker crises also think Wobbly head will look on next season a fresh. Sixth is ours barring a squad crisis Jan could be pivotol. Two good loans and we should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.