2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a bad game yesterday, but has been pretty good for the previous games. Keeps things ticking over, not as noticeable as the rest of the midfield but doing enough
I honestly don’t think ‘keeps things ticking over’ is a good enough reason to get in a side pushing for the top 4, was he keeping things ticking over in that first half when he was losing the ball everytime he got it?

This 1 for a start.

Come back to me when Allan bosses a game versus them.

Very short reactionary memories some of you.
Been questioning Gomes hype for some time.
He doesn't have what Digne and Richarlison need.
But if we scraped through with him, who cares.
Just think it'd go to another level with someone who can continue on the better play more consistently.
I genuinely believe finding that player gives em a proper shot at a title. (that and sorting the GK woes)

Can't wait for 20th Feb, and can't see anything but Alan bossing that one.
They'll have learnt more than the RS from this one.

I’ve said before, if you want to just be a continuity player, knocking the ball around in midfield, you have to be pretty much faultless otherwise you’ve had a poor game. If you put a load of tackles in or create a load of chances nobody really cares about sloppy touches or wayward passes, but Gomes doesn’t do those things. If all you really offer is a bit of ‘pass and move’ in the middle third you have to be much, much better at it than he was today.

I still love the sexy handsome Mofo, but his performance was poor and his passing was abysmal today.

Would still take him over iceberg or Tommy D to start, but I think godfrey might be a really good addition to a midfield of Allan and Doucs, instead of Andre.

He was truly awful. In fact I struggle to think of a good game he has had. He put extra strain on Allan today

What put extra strain on Allan today was Allan, mate.

In the first half he was poor.

Gomes was poor on the ball - very frustrating at times for a player who should be more composed. He was trying to make things happen and rushed things.

The best spell all of our midfielders had was from 45 to 70. We actually had control and then they looked like a functioning unit.

When the game opened up it suited Liverpool.

I’ve said before, if you want to just be a continuity player, knocking the ball around in midfield, you have to be pretty much faultless otherwise you’ve had a poor game. If you put a load of tackles in or create a load of chances nobody really cares about sloppy touches or wayward passes, but Gomes doesn’t do those things. If all you really offer is a bit of ‘pass and move’ in the middle third you have to be much, much better at it than he was today.

Tbf he was trying to make things happen today, but they weren't coming off.

Issue is they were relatively simple things to do, but they were attacking.

He got caught a few times on the ball in the first half, but so did Allan and Doucoure. Liverpool have a better midfield than us, as much as we've improved ours. It showed today.

Allan, Gomes and Doucoure - all of their passing stats were way down compared to what they have been.

Gomes managed 18 passes in or into the opposition half, more than any other outfield player bar Digne, DCL and James. 72% success rate so not as bad as. you might think.

We'll improve, he has to improve. But he did try to make things happen today, it just didn't click for him.

I was frustrated but thought the first 25 mins of the second half our midfield finally got a bit of a grip and Gomes was part of that.

When Salah scored he was going off anyway, but that opened the game up and we had to chase it.

I honestly don’t think ‘keeps things ticking over’ is a good enough reason to get in a side pushing for the top 4, was he keeping things ticking over in that first half when he was losing the ball everytime he got it?

We aren't pushing for top four yet.

We're a side that finished 12th as of five league games ago. It's a long old season. We've had a fantastic start.

He's better than our other midfielders in the pecking order.

Who would you have played instead of him today?

Allan and Doucoure were pretty poor on the ball today - Allan more so, mainly in the first half. They were hassled and harried by a quality side, it happens.

Gomes wasn't great today. Frustrating because he got into some good positions and fluffed it. But Sigurdsson hasn't got the athleticism to start in the middle against Liverpool, that's for sure.

What put extra strain on Allan today was Allan, mate.

In the first half he was poor.

Gomes was poor on the ball - very frustrating at times for a player who should be more composed. He was trying to make things happen and rushed things.

The best spell all of our midfielders had was from 45 to 70. We actually had control and then they looked like a functioning unit.

When the game opened up it suited Liverpool.

No. Allan was the doing the job of 2 men because Gomes was being bypassed and he was giving the ball away constantly in dangerous areas causing us to be out of position and susceptible to their counter. We managed the ball slightlybetter in the 2nd half

I mean the season Liverpool won the CL he genuinely bossed their midfield.

He's playing in a wider role and up against that press today he needed to be more composed in possession. He lacked it, but then again our entire team did in the first half except James. In the second when we had that bit of control he did step it up. What didn't come off was when he then tried the penetrative passes in behind.

Frustrating but nothing to be overly worried about.

Our midfield hasn't really 'bossed' a game yet, not entirely. Today was never gonna be the case, Liverpool had the best deep-lying playmaker in the world in there and probably a top two or three holding midfielder.

Hope he steps it up against S'ton next week!
If we're going to keep using that one game to say how great he is I'm going to say Davies Vs City. Even crap players can have a great game

He can be ok but never understood the fuss. Never takes a game by the scruff does he?

We aren't pushing for top four yet.

We're a side that finished 12th as of five league games ago. It's a long old season. We've had a fantastic start.

He's better than our other midfielders in the pecking order.

Who would you have played instead of him today?

Allan and Doucoure were pretty poor on the ball today - Allan more so, mainly in the first half. They were hassled and harried by a quality side, it happens.

Gomes wasn't great today. Frustrating because he got into some good positions and fluffed it. But Sigurdsson hasn't got the athleticism to start in the middle against Liverpool, that's for sure.
Siggy isn't athletic enough but Gomes is? Ok...

Status
Not open for further replies.