2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had one really bad game against a really good team. He’s been fine this season for the most part.

He works in this new midfield because he can keep us ticking over and relieves some pressure off Mina, Keane, Doucoure and Allan when they don’t want to be on the ball because he comes deep to collect

Sigurdsson on the other hand doesn’t. Again, at Southampton, he found himself sitting between 2/3 defenders with his hand up like he wanted the ball, but didn’t make a move towards it

If you’re going to drop Gomes at any point, may as we’ll be for Davies or, Christ, even delph before we go back to Sigurdsson
It was madness to put Sigurdsson in against a team that legged Everton all over Goodison just a couple of months ago (they should have been out of sight by half-time that day). I love Ancelotti as much as the next person, but I don't know what it's going to take before he's willing to draw a line under some of these players.

Gomes has been a disappointment since signing permanently, but he has to play until someone better can be bought. The other options aren't fit for purpose.

It was madness to put Sigurdsson in against a team that legged Everton all over Goodison just a couple of months ago (they should have been out of sight by half-time that day). I love Ancelotti as much as the next person, but I don't know what it's going to take for him to draw a line under some of these players.

Gomes has been a disappointment since signing permanently, but he has to play until someone better can be bought. The other options aren't fit for purpose.
Legged all over the show again yesterday by Ward-Prowse, Nathan Redmond and Che ( didn’t score for abar a season ) Adams..

He has a defined role at least. I dunno what the others do

What roles that? Since he's been here, he's:

Been injured alot
Had a strop with Holgate – one of our best players
Argued with Carlo after we got legged by the Reds' U13s
Got sent off away at Watford for two clumsy and frankly amateur tackles
Argued with fans on social media
Been terrible more times than not when he's played

Lad is an absolute crab. If he and Davies were swapped, we wouldn't hear the end of it on here

He came in with a huge reputation, and to be honest, I don’t think he has played at a very high level. He’s not terrible, he’s just average. We already have a lot of “average”. We didn’t need any more.

What does he actually do? Doesn't do enough defensively or attack wise. I don't think the job he does is so special and we have others who can do a similar job with the same effectiveness.

RB, GK, striker, another midfielder is my priority list. Unless he seriously improves he'd be on my shift list now as I think someone will take him on and it'll free up a fair chunk from the wage bill.

It was madness to put Sigurdsson in against a team that legged Everton all over Goodison just a couple of months ago (they should have been out of sight by half-time that day). I love Ancelotti as much as the next person, but I don't know what it's going to take before he's willing to draw a line under some of these players.

I got the Sigurdsson thing, with Richarlison out, Iwobi alone doesn't go anywhere near replacing him as a goal threat. Sigurdsson throughout his career has always been a goal threat... except like when he plays like he has for the last 18 months. Suspect he'll be duly benched again for Gomes, and likely Iwobi will too for Gordon.

He had one really bad game against a really good team. He’s been fine this season for the most part.

He works in this new midfield because he can keep us ticking over and relieves some pressure off Mina, Keane, Doucoure and Allan when they don’t want to be on the ball because he comes deep to collect

Sigurdsson on the other hand doesn’t. Again, at Southampton, he found himself sitting between 2/3 defenders with his hand up like he wanted the ball, but didn’t make a move towards it

If you’re going to drop Gomes at any point, may as we’ll be for Davies or, Christ, even delph before we go back to Sigurdsson
I don't disagree with the basis of what you're saying but to be fair 'fine for the most part' is hardly a ringing endorsement of a £25m midfielder is it? I mean if the best someone can say is basically 'he's not been that bad' then there's a pretty good chance you're in line for getting dropped, and so it proved. Sigurdsson is pretty much never the answer, whatever the question is, but it doesn't surprise me at all that Ancelotti was looking for other solutions. It's obviously easy to say he's doing exactly what Ancelotti wants and the only people who don't see are heathens who are too thick to understand what he brings, but if that was the case it would seem a bit odd that he dropped him wouldn't it?

I really don't get some of the ire directed at him. He is inconsistent, granted, and is perhaps a player who is affected emotionally more than others (some games he looks imperious, other games he looks totally lost).

Don't go quoting me goal and assists records. His game is about the pass before the pass.

He's good in the tackle, keeps the ball, and is a great passer with both feet. Is always going to need two midfielders alongside him, but in Allan and Doucoure has that now.

Top 3 midfielders in the club and should start every game he is fit until we sign Barella.

They're such a weird team.

Very much the type to qualify for Europe one season and then get relegated the next.

This, I just don't get them me, look at the team they have it's absolutely garbage and it shows some weeks and then some weeks they are quality, they absolutely battered us on Sunday and it wasn't even close. They worked 10x harder than we did

I really don't get some of the ire directed at him. He is inconsistent, granted, and is perhaps a player who is affected emotionally more than others (some games he looks imperious, other games he looks totally lost).

Don't go quoting me goal and assists records. His game is about the pass before the pass.

He's good in the tackle, keeps the ball, and is a great passer with both feet. Is always going to need two midfielders alongside him, but in Allan and Doucoure has that now.

Top 3 midfielders in the club and should start every game he is fit until we sign Barella.
Mate, he couldn't tackle the kiddies crossword in the beano... he's a total liability when it come to tackling. He's been sent off for crap tackles, not dirty, just poor.
And anywhere in his own half he's a free kick machine and a free shot st goal for the opposition.
Should stick having immaculate hair, looking suave and stylish well away from our goal...very near to being added to the wtf were they thinking deadwood list?

Edit; plays being the stylish king of midfielders like somebody just played the ace.

Mate, he couldn't tackle the kiddies crossword in the beano... he's a total liability when it come to tackling. He's been sent off for crap tackles, not dirty, just poor.
And anywhere in his own half he's a free kick machine and a free shot st goal for the opposition.
Should stick having immaculate hair, looking suave and stylish well away from our goal...very near to being added to the wtf were they thinking deadwood list?

Edit; plays being the stylish king of midfielders like somebody just played the ace.

I mean he's not great in the tackle. But I think you're being a little bit unfair to him. Maybe if he shaved his bonce off you'd be more inclined to rate him

He's much more physically committed than any of our other options (aside from - gulp - Delph?). Better on the ball too. Who would you rather see from the current squad start in there instead?

We really need to stop comparing our squad to the best in Europe. Gomes might not be a midfielder to start in a title winning side (probably would do a job off the bench, though?) but ffs, let's build a little bit shall we.

Edit: until we sign Barella

His foot was hanging off six months ago
Well it was a year ago now, but anyway, is that relevant? Either he's playing well enough to be in the team or he's not, whether he used to be injured doesn't really come into it as far as I can see. The point was that if somebody is only 'fine for the most part' then you can hardly be surprised if they get dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.