2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going full Joyce, matey. Just saying, we'll be disappointed if he doesn't add to his tally next season won't we.

I'm not even saying it's his fault he didn't get those goals/assists. He created chances that could have been converted easily enough.

But there's nowt wrong with saying we'd be hoping for him to bag, say, 5 goals next season if he gets a full lot of games. I'm not criticising him.
He doesn't need to set a personal record for goals in a season to help us, so let's not get too carried away with the expectations of a 20M player. But he does either need to create more chances for his teammates (if he plays higher up the field, like the top of a 3 man 4-3-3) or play better defensively (if he's a twin DM with Gana). That's all.

It's more Bernard who needs to up his goal return. He's an attacker.

It would be great if Gomes got more, and he's capable. But the team can still succeed even if he doesn't.
The team can succeed if Bernard doesn't score as long as he creates opportunities for others than can score. Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, Tottenham each had between 63 and 73 goals. We scored 54. Need about 10 more goals. We actually averaged a decent amount of shots, more than even Arsenal, but their CFs are darn good. Someone off the bench who can score more would be helpful.

We did give up fewer goals than both Man U and Arsenal, but if we just stayed the same in open play and did a bit better on set pieces, defensively we should be fine. With another option at RB, another option at CM/DM, and CB we'd be even better.

Erm... what?

How is the transition from defence to attack only 3-4 minutes of a 90 minute match? At home, assuming we have (say) 60% possession, a large portion of that will be spent trying to get the ball out from the back, and he is a crucial part of that.

That is why he's a prized asset - he enables Silva to play the brand of football he wants to play.
Let’s face it he’s brilliant on the eye to watch when he’s purring. His confidence on the ball in tight situation is amongst the best in the league and the quality and weight of pass particularly to the wide areas is 2nd to none. He’s a proper rolls Royce of a player and he gets stuck in when the going gets tough.

I'm not going full Joyce, matey. Just saying, we'll be disappointed if he doesn't add to his tally next season won't we.

I'm not even saying it's his fault he didn't get those goals/assists. He created chances that could have been converted easily enough.

But there's nowt wrong with saying we'd be hoping for him to bag, say, 5 goals next season if he gets a full lot of games. I'm not criticising him.
Look at Dembélé spurs, a couple of seasons ago I’m sure he didn’t get a goal or an assist that season and yet he dominated a number of games I’m not saying Gomes is as good as him, though I do think he’s a similar style of player.

You could argue, that even though they reached the champions league final, they have missed Dembélé.

100% and I think he's more than capable of bagging 5 goals and 2/3 assists as well.

Nothing wrong with wanting more from him but from a pure football point of view.... He's miles ahead of what we've had for years and it's a superb piece of business ;)

Look at Dembélé spurs, a couple of seasons ago I’m sure he didn’t get a goal or an assist that season and yet he dominated a number of games I’m not saying Gomes is as good as him, though I do think he’s a similar style of player.

You could argue, that even though they reached the champions league final, they have missed Dembélé.
Who wouldn't? Again, that's not fair. When Dembele was at his peak, he was one of the best CM/DMs in the world. They may be similar in their ability to move the ball forward, but they are not in their ability to defend. Dembele rarely got beaten off the dribble. He was a much better tackler. He also created more chances for his teammates, but it would be nice if we saw a bit more from Gomes in that same fashion. But come on, you can't expect Gomes to destroy counter attacks like Mousa Dembele did. He would just overpower players.

Who wouldn't? Again, that's not fair. When Dembele was at his peak, he was one of the best CM/DMs in the world. They may be similar in their ability to move the ball forward, but they are not in their ability to defend. Dembele rarely got beaten off the dribble. He was a much better tackler. He also created more chances for his teammates, but it would be nice if we saw a bit more from Gomes in that same fashion. But come on, you can't expect Gomes to destroy counter attacks like Mousa Dembele did. He would just overpower players.

What do you think Gomes is worth mate? Or in your opinion would you have not signed him full stop and looked elsewhere instead

Stats comparison please.

What do you think Gomes is worth mate? Or in your opinion would you have not signed him full stop and looked elsewhere instead
I'm assuming we have the budget for another CM/DM and that Morgan / McCarthy / Besic are all gone, so I'm fine with it. It's a good price for a player with obvious talent. I very much appreciate and watch the defensive side of the game, but I cannot deny that Gomes is LOVELY to watch. He represents the shirt well.

I just take umbrage with these ridiculous ideas that he's our best playmaker since Arteta and have concerns how he fits with Gana and Siggy, who let's face it, aren't going anywhere. It's just absurd. I think the defensive concerns are real and want to see him improve. Our CM was a HUGE problem last year. Andre Gomes does not fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.