2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. There's a chap on the Royal Blue Podcast that's the same, stating he needs more goals and to be higher up the pitch. But that's not Gomes' call to make. If Marco wants him as the deep lying playmaker, taking the ball off the CBs whether just outside our 12 yard box or on the half way line, he can't be expected to also be in the final third hurting opposition 25 times a game.

To me, his chief responsibility is getting the ball through crowded midfields to Sig', Richarlison and Bernard. If he can do that, and break the lines by running through them more often (like vs Liverpool), we'll see a top balls midfielder without the stats. And providing we use our EYES, we'll all appreciate him for it.
There are plenty of stats for that, so can we stop this absurd idea that players are good statistically and bad in reality and vice versa?

Look, I think you've captured well what he brings to the team and these are important attributes. I'm not discounting them. But that's 3-4 minutes of a 90 minute match. An important 3-4 minutes. But there is a LOT more to the game than that.

I kind of agree. It isn't crazy to say maybe he should provide more going forward and not just passing through midfield and it isn't crazy either to suggest he could win that ball back a bit more. I'm not mad about bringing him back but at the same time I'm wouldn't have been upset if we went elsewhere either. I know Marco likes him a lot though so for now that's enough I guess.

Yep 100%.. I felt folks were forgetting how well Sneiderlin began... saying that Gomes has serious skills and maybe with a better offensive unit upfront he could do more himself. For the price we paying I’m happy to have him back and believe he can do more than he has shown and far more consistently... he needs to do a lot more going forward to support Siggy.

skysports-andre-gomes-everton_4697956.png

Did not see that possession won stat coming.
GET IT DONE, ANDRE!
hope he dribbles past van dijk

But that's 3-4 minutes of a 90 minute match. An important 3-4 minutes. But there is a LOT more to the game than that.

Erm... what?

How is the transition from defence to attack only 3-4 minutes of a 90 minute match? At home, assuming we have (say) 60% possession, a large portion of that will be spent trying to get the ball out from the back, and he is a crucial part of that.

That is why he's a prized asset - he enables Silva to play the brand of football he wants to play.

Why? If he’s an important part of a functioning team.

I'm not going full Joyce, matey. Just saying, we'll be disappointed if he doesn't add to his tally next season won't we.

I'm not even saying it's his fault he didn't get those goals/assists. He created chances that could have been converted easily enough.

But there's nowt wrong with saying we'd be hoping for him to bag, say, 5 goals next season if he gets a full lot of games. I'm not criticising him.

Erm... what?

How is the transition from defence to attack only 3-4 minutes of a 90 minute match? At home, assuming we have (say) 60% possession, a large portion of that will be spent trying to get the ball out from the back, and he is a crucial part of that.

That is why he's a prized asset - he enables Silva to play the brand of football he wants to play.
He has the ball 3-4 minutes of every game.

And he doesn't enable Silva to play the counter attacking brand he wants because he's not very good when the other team has possession.

Let's hope he improves at least his positioning at a minimum. Silva seems to be a pretty good hands on teacher and Gomes will have a whole summer to get healthy and understand our tactics better.

I'm not going full Joyce, matey. Just saying, we'll be disappointed if he doesn't add to his tally next season won't we.

I'm not even saying it's his fault he didn't get those goals/assists. He created chances that could have been converted easily enough.

But there's nowt wrong with saying we'd be hoping for him to bag, say, 5 goals next season if he gets a full lot of games. I'm not criticising him.

It's more Bernard who needs to up his goal return. He's an attacker.

It would be great if Gomes got more, and he's capable. But the team can still succeed even if he doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.