2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, true value will only come to fruition if the Portuguese international steps up and finds another gear, influences matches on a regular basis and flourishes under the responsibility he will be handed.
Silva, who marshalled Everton astutely in the closing weeks of the season and motivated players whose season had effectively flatlined weeks earlier, has a big part to play here.
He must look to smooth away the rough edges that persist in the make-up of the 25-year-old and ensure his time on the ball, and work off it, is channelled more effectively and efficiently.

The full article for those who wanted it.

Thanks for posting this.

Although there's a hint of needle in the downplaying of Spurs and West Ham's interest I don't have a problem with the passage quoted above. I don't think enough attention is paid to where Andre Gomes was career wise when he came to EFC last season. He'd had a truly awful time at Barca and his confidence must've taken a severe knock. Add to that adjusting to the premier league and integrating with a team trying to adjust to a new manager with very different instincts to the previous incumbent.

The key for me is that Gomes has shown that his highest level is very high indeed. If Silva can get him consistently playing anywhere near that then he's just made one of the best transfers of this or any window. Name another midfielder in his position with his skill set available in Europe for that price?

Can someone with a Times sub pls give us Joyce's analysis here. I want to fume at more than just the title.

Joyce showing his true bitter colours here.

Status
Not open for further replies.