2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homoerotic jokes aside, this boy makes us tick.

Anyone cherry picking stats to try and justify his "lack of productivity" clearly didn't watch us much last term. He was, for the most part, a cut above the rest.

Absolute mustard is Andrè.

Analysing his footballing ability aside, I'd drink his bath water.

He's a lot more handsome than those three , fella
I will not argue that. His game is more stylish, too. He's lovely to watch. Smooth, slick, clever, absolutely a fan favorite. Lovely guy by all accounts, too. Easy to root for, happy he's at the club.

I will not argue that. His game is more stylish, too. He's lovely to watch. Smooth, slick, clever, absolutely a fan favorite. Lovely guy by all accounts, too. Easy to root for, happy he's at the club.

He can be in a mess, surrounded by opponents , yet he still stays cool and comes away with a pass to a teammate . Without breaking sweat . Never panics. and , as you say , he WANTS to be here

Messi is pretty good.

Why? Because I don't think Gomes is AMAZING. He's a decent player. I never said he's trash.

Messi is a steroid abusing midget playing in an inferior league.

I just get triggered by the way you talk in absolutes, despite what you say, you are judging him on last season alone, he was clearly good for Valencia, hence Barca spending 54m after add ons to buy him. No im not saying Barca have never bought a bad player, but he must have been somewhat impressive surely? I personally never watched him for Valencia, dont even recall him for Portugal. So im judging him solely on what my eyes saw last season. I saw him boss some games, I saw him go AWOL in others.

IMO thats quite normal for most players in their first season in this league, especially players with a lot of injuries.

I saw enough to get excited, I did think the "Best player since Arteta" shouts were a bit silly, but then if you think, we havent had a player like Arteta for a long time, even before Arteta. So im excited for what he can bring, I think hes a very good player, he can dribble, he can pass and he can get stuck in, I dont care that the stats tell me how he conceded fouls or his smart pass rate was low or even that his movement in transition was lacking. None of that matters to me, the majority of the fanbase, Marco Silva or Marcel Brands, so I consider myself in very good company in saying that Andre Gomes can play football and play it very well.

He can be in a mess, surrounded by opponents , yet he still stays cool and comes away with a pass to a teammate . Without breaking sweat . Never panics. and , as you say , he WANTS to be here
He's outstanding under pressure. Great dribbler, wonderful ball control. Helps us build from the back when in possession well. No question. These are very important traits in the modern game.

Messi is a steroid abusing midget playing in an inferior league.

I just get triggered by the way you talk in absolutes, despite what you say, you are judging him on last season alone, he was clearly good for Valencia, hence Barca spending 54m after add ons to buy him. No im not saying Barca have never bought a bad player, but he must have been somewhat impressive surely? I personally never watched him for Valencia, dont even recall him for Portugal. So im judging him solely on what my eyes saw last season. I saw him boss some games, I saw him go AWOL in others.

IMO thats quite normal for most players in their first season in this league, especially players with a lot of injuries.

I saw enough to get excited, I did think the "Best player since Arteta" shouts were a bit silly, but then if you think, we havent had a player like Arteta for a long time, even before Arteta. So im excited for what he can bring, I think hes a very good player, he can dribble, he can pass and he can get stuck in, I dont care that the stats tell me how he conceded fouls or his smart pass rate was low or even that his movement in transition was lacking. None of that matters to me, the majority of the fanbase, Marco Silva or Marcel Brands, so I consider myself in very good company in saying that Andre Gomes can play football and play it very well.
And I get triggered by the absurd ideas spit out that are objectively not true.

I also appreciate that you are willing to have dialog, rather than just say "football's not for you". That's not cool to me. I personally don't write anything on a message board I wouldn't say to someone's face and don't see the point of even bothering to type that garbage. But people want to hide behind their keyboards, that's up to them.

Now about Gomes, people get ticked off that I am critical of the guy. I was the one that brought him up first about coming here. I like the player, he's terrific to watch. I don't hate him or think he's crap. It's just like Sigurdsson and Gana, just the opposite. They are good players that it's perfectly FINE to criticize and I get crap for defending them. It's not about like or dislike, it's about whether or not they help us WIN MORE GAMES. It's okay to like a player and yet be able to judge them objectively.

I also never said he couldn't improve. Quite the opposite, I assume he can and will. But I have more faith in his ability to improve in the final third than I do in his own defensive half. Yet with Sigurdsson playing the most advanced of our midfielders, he's not going to get as many final 3rd chances, unless we change a bit how we play. He was good at Valencia. I recall him being a threat to score and more dominant and/or effective in the final third.

So I can see him getting a bit more familiar with Silva's tactics and picking off a few more passes. Maybe he'll get more comfortable and we'll see a few more longer passes and/or entry passes into the final third. I hope so. He's easy to root for.

But I'm not saying he stinks. That's what I don't understand. I said he's probably worth the 20M to 25M. I don't think he's a great fit with Gana and Sigurdsson, I think he'd be a great option off the bench or as a spot starter in the right tactic. He could even be better than that.

And I get triggered by the absurd ideas spit out that are objectively not true.

I also appreciate that you are willing to have dialog, rather than just say "football's not for you". That's not cool to me. I personally don't write anything on a message board I wouldn't say to someone's face and don't see the point of even bothering to type that garbage. But people want to hide behind their keyboards, that's up to them.

Now about Gomes, people get ticked off that I am critical of the guy. I was the one that brought him up first about coming here. I like the player, he's terrific to watch. I don't hate him or think he's crap. It's just like Sigurdsson and Gana, just the opposite. They are good players that it's perfectly FINE to criticize and I get crap for defending them. It's not about like or dislike, it's about whether or not they help us WIN MORE GAMES. It's okay to like a player and yet be able to judge them objectively.

I also never said he couldn't improve. Quite the opposite, I assume he can and will. But I have more faith in his ability to improve in the final third than I do in his own defensive half. Yet with Sigurdsson playing the most advanced of our midfielders, he's not going to get as many final 3rd chances, unless we change a bit how we play. He was good at Valencia. I recall him being a threat to score and more dominant and/or effective in the final third.

So I can see him getting a bit more familiar with Silva's tactics and picking off a few more passes. Maybe he'll get more comfortable and we'll see a few more longer passes and/or entry passes into the final third. I hope so. He's easy to root for.

But I'm not saying he stinks. That's what I don't understand. I said he's probably worth the 20M to 25M. I don't think he's a great fit with Gana and Sigurdsson, I think he'd be a great option off the bench or as a spot starter in the right tactic. He could even be better than that.

You see I agree with the Gana and Iceland part, both are very good players, but I have no idea how the system worked so well with them both, its quite an unbalanced midfield in a way. I think all 3 bring different things to the table, but if you asked me would I prefer a different 3? A different kind, probably, but for me Gomes is the 1 that excites me the most.

Maybe cos hes "new" to me, ive seen what Iceland and Gana can do and whilst they are both effective, they dont really excite me, im sure you know what I mean.

I mean saying hes worth 20m to 25m is quite insulting, in a market in which Solanke and Ings can go for the same money? I think we have got a cracking player at a cracking price and if he improves his consistency and other areas he really could be a steal.

Reactions: FTY
You see I agree with the Gana and Iceland part, both are very good players, but I have no idea how the system worked so well with them both, its quite an unbalanced midfield in a way. I think all 3 bring different things to the table, but if you asked me would I prefer a different 3? A different kind, probably, but for me Gomes is the 1 that excites me the most.

Maybe cos hes "new" to me, ive seen what Iceland and Gana can do and whilst they are both effective, they dont really excite me, im sure you know what I mean.

I mean saying hes worth 20m to 25m is quite insulting, in a market in which Solanke and Ings can go for the same money? I think we have got a cracking player at a cracking price and if he improves his consistency and other areas he really could be a steal.
He’s a steal even if he improves nothing.

If he gets significantly better the deal is absolute daylight robbery

Against the wall
I'm just saying no one we have is perfect. Very few are even CL level at the moment. Thinking about it quickly I probably couldn't find a flaw in Digne but that's probably it. It's the middle of the summer and we haven't played a game in months. There isn't any reason we can't say so and so could do this better while nothing else is happening.

This summer break is slowly developing into a crescendo of straighteners the likes of which GOT has never seen. Every day is a wonder.

A man of such great beauty will always be fought over I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.