2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or they did watch us and think you amongst others are simple wrong. He's a 20M pound player. He has strengths and weakness like every player. If he's a cut above the rest of our players, then we stink. Anyone can play this stupid opinion game. But if the only support you have is sheer arrogance, you are probably wrong, dumb, or both.

Oh mate.

You are basing your whole judgement of a player in his first season, an injury hit season as well I might add and sadly you so entrenched in this view you refuse to see anybody who disagrees with it as anything but dumb.

Thats a yikes.

hes gonna be first class this season mark my words

like he said himself he was injured when he first came .. that and getting used to a well quicker more physical league ( on that aspect he was fantastic didn't get bullied at all )

but he did drop off slightly but i believe his heart is fully committed to and hes settled i think 6+ goal and 8+ assists

Oh mate.

You are basing your whole judgement of a player in his first season, an injury hit season as well I might add and sadly you so entrenched in this view you refuse to see anybody who disagrees with it as anything but dumb.

Thats a yikes.
No. Simply no, you missed the ENTIRE POINT of my post. My point isn't that if you like Gomes that you are dumb, absolutely not. He does plenty of things well that are really important, especially in modern, pressing football, and if you think he's great or could be great, that's FINE. It's an opinion and doesn't make you or anyone else stupid.

What I take umbrage with is the continual diatribe where someone MUST BE STUPID or FOOTBALLS NOT FOR YOU if you don't think a 20M player isn't the best playmaker we've had since Arteta. That idea is tiresome, ridiculous, and YES, it is DUMB. There are plenty of intelligent humans that watch him play football that don't think he's that great. There's a lot of objective evidence that says he has some weaknesses as a player. It's certainly up for debate.

And I knew the player before he even played for Barca, so don't give me that ridiculous based on 1 season garbage. Even before we have any substantive rumor that he might join, I said I though he had a chance to be our very best player. I was a huge advocate for his signing, I'm even fine with us signing him now. But I expressed reservations about his game then and I was spot on.

hes gonna be first class this season mark my words

like he said himself he was injured when he first came .. that and getting used to a well quicker more physical league ( on that aspect he was fantastic didn't get bullied at all )

but he did drop off slightly but i believe his heart is fully committed to and hes settled i think 6+ goal and 8+ assists
Ok, now we are being ridiculous. Look, he can improve and be great for us, but what on earth makes you think he's putting up 6 goals and 8 assists?

In almost 7000 minutes b/t the PL and La Liga, he has 7 goals and 5 assists. TOTAL. I'm not sure he has 8 assists in over 11,000 minutes that I can see.

Let's instead hope he continues to help us build up from the back, gets more progressive with his passing, and dramatically improves his defensive positioning and cuts down on the silly fouls. If he creates a bit more for his teammates in the final third, that would be lovely. If he chips in 3 or 4 goals, that would be amazing as he's had 4 goals once in his career.

He's not Arteta, he's Andre Gomes.

Ok, now we are being ridiculous. Look, he can improve and be great for us, but what on earth makes you think he's putting up 6 goals and 8 assists?

In almost 7000 minutes b/t the PL and La Liga, he has 7 goals and 5 assists. TOTAL. I'm not sure he has 8 assists in over 11,000 minutes that I can see.

Let's instead hope he continues to help us build up from the back, gets more progressive with his passing, and dramatically improves his defensive positioning and cuts down on the silly fouls. If he creates a bit more for his teammates in the final third, that would be lovely. If he chips in 3 or 4 goals, that would be amazing as he's had 4 goals once in his career.

He's not Arteta, he's Andre Gomes.

He has the potential to be similarly effective in terms of output.

Gomes has 24 career goals and 23 assists from 243 matches to date.

Arteta 58 goals and 48 assists from 437 games.

Gomes goal/assist ratio is approximately 1 in 5, Arteta’s was about 1 in 4.

Gomes still has plenty of time to catch up once he’s had time to settle in the league, remember he hardly had time to settle in La Liga either, consistent game time once he’s fully fit will see a rapid rise in the tradjectory of his numbers imo.

Gomes still has plenty of time to catch up once he’s had time to settle in the league, remember he hardly had time to settle in La Liga either, consistent game time once he’s fully fit will see a rapid rise in the tradjectory of his numbers imo.
Arteta also took penalties for us, rangers and arsenal

Or they did watch us and think you amongst others are simple wrong. He's a 20M pound player. He has strengths and weakness like every player. If he's a cut above the rest of our players, then we stink. Anyone can play this stupid opinion game. But if the only support you have is sheer arrogance, you are probably wrong, dumb, or both.

What a pointless post.

Bore off.

You talking about someone’s arrogance is somewhat ironic.

Are you seriously counting Andre Gomes goals for Portugal's youth sides and Benefica B? Because that's half of his career goals right there.

Look, he doesn't score a ton of goals. That's fine.

You talking about someone’s arrogance is somewhat ironic.
Have I EVER posted an opinion and based it on this idea that everyone else must be dumb? You guys rip me and others for providing stats, but at least they are a basis for an opinion. There's nothing arrogant that basing opinions on stats. However, there IS something arrogant about people dismissing stats as stupid or declaring the game of football too complex to quantify. That's the height of arrogance.

Status
Not open for further replies.