Confirmed Signing Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

We gave Gareth Barry a three year contract at 33 and we still miss him. Sometimes you need a leader, experience and the right player in the right hole in your team, at the right time to make the whole thing work. Actually that is a pretty apt description of where we are with recruiting in that position right now.

Hes 29, we could well get 4-5 years out of him.

We gave Gareth Barry a three year contract at 33 and we still miss him. Sometimes you need a leader, experience and the right player in the right hole in your team, at the right time to make the whole thing work. Actually that is a pretty apt description of where we are with recruiting in that position right now.

Hes 29, we could well get 4-5 years out of him.

We shouldn’t have given him that contract. He was good for his first season with us on loan. We then potentially should have given him a one year deal but tbh he wasn’t great the rest of Roberto’s reign. Three year deal was not sensible for a player who could have declined at any point (and did).

We shouldn’t have given him that contract. He was good for his first season with us on loan. We then potentially should have given him a one year deal but tbh he wasn’t great the rest of Roberto’s reign. Three year deal was not sensible for a player who could have declined at any point (and did).

Personally i think a central midfielder is as important off the ball as on it. I used to watch Roy Keane, meticulously live, held the whole thing together and led, his work in positioning, tactical awareness of system and off the ball was outstanding. Phases ahead of the play. A massive foothold in the key area of the melting pot of a game. Barry was excellent at it to in my opinion. I think we actually made a profit on Barry in the end. Pound for contribution, id put Barry in the win column, very understated and rated, he waned i think in his last year engine wise admittedly, while McCarthys engine compensated/complimented to. But take your point the whole kit and kobbdle fell apart in the Martinez era after that initial season.

Status
Not open for further replies.