Confirmed Signing Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
We gave Gareth Barry a three year contract at 33 and we still miss him. Sometimes you need a leader, experience and the right player in the right hole in your team, at the right time to make the whole thing work. Actually that is a pretty apt description of where we are with recruiting in that position right now.

Hes 29, we could well get 4-5 years out of him.
Paul Powers says hello, so does Andy Gray, Peter Reid, and many others! Two years from a top pro is better than ten from a blert! If they are top professionals, we want / need them here pronto!

Watched a little bit of him last night for Napoli undoubtedly one of the best players on the pitch classy touches control so tight and rarely gets caught in possession seems to move away every time.
But if he is playing at a level clearly beneath him is that attitude gonna come with especially if he gets around the likes of Sigurdsson etc and many others who have looked so uninterested.
My worry is that he didn't do much and clearly looks a little uninterested and it got me thinking after watching how abject some of our play has been do we need those uber positive give all for the club run into the ground players with great attitude rather than these show pony half arsed big pay cheque hunters.
In the long run maybe less dynamic football for a bit of that old grit and effort for the badge.

Just a thought while i was watching it last night as i hope we really get out of this period as a club because we seem to have a lot of low confidence players and i think it goes back quite a while now if we all have a good think about it.
I just hope we have a similar turn around sooner rather than later like the Mancs did i mean they had a pretty dreadful run for a bit with those show pony all about themselves players but seem to have found that confidence again after some culling and tough decisions from Ole.

We gave Gareth Barry a three year contract at 33 and we still miss him. Sometimes you need a leader, experience and the right player in the right hole in your team, at the right time to make the whole thing work. Actually that is a pretty apt description of where we are with recruiting in that position right now.

Hes 29, we could well get 4-5 years out of him.

Carlo's interview from a while back seemed to indicate the same. He said something along the lines of getting the right profile of player, with ability and winning mentality. He mentioned the age might need to be older.

Definitely we could do with a couple of reliable heads in this team. Allan and Thiago Silva would make a lot of sense in that respect, despite their ages.

The Barry and Milner types play with a level of intelligence that means they can play on for much longer than other players. I'm sure their professionalism goes a long way in that respect too. Unlike the Rooneys who fall off a cliff due to a career of Big Mac's, nights out and smoking.

Carlo's interview from a while back seemed to indicate the same. He said something along the lines of getting the right profile of player, with ability and winning mentality. He mentioned the age might need to be older.

Definitely we could do with a couple of reliable heads in this team. Allan and Thiago Silva would make a lot of sense in that respect, despite their ages.

The Barry and Milner types play with a level of intelligence that means they can play on for much longer than other players. I'm sure their professionalism goes a long way in that respect too. Unlike the Rooneys who fall off a cliff due to a career of Big Mac's, nights out and smoking.

I agree mate, you wonder were we got it so wrong with Delph, though im prepared to look at him with fresh eyes next year.

If we are interested in Allan im not expecting to see progress on it until the Gabriel transfer is sorted out. On one hand, if we want Gabriel we arent going to hand our rival 35 million. On the other we could be in there but relent if they look at us with a favorable eye on Allan. On he other hand i might have to much time on my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.