2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just get rid. The more players you can jettison who’ve been part of the foray around relegation the better.

Running around a bit does not mean somebody is a good player and I wish some of this fanbase would finally accept that.

I like Iwobi and I'm really impressed with how he's worked hard and won over (most of) the people who wrote him off.
But we're at a crossroads with him:

1. He only has 12 months left on his deal which is on lowish wages
2. He wants to play CL football at some point.
3. None of the CL clubs here - or in the other biggest leagues - will view him as good enough for them.
4. CL clubs in Greece/Turkey/Scotland/France might fancy him but wouldn't pay the kind of fee we'd want.
5. If we offer him a new deal we're going to probably have to pay him £100k per week which is a bit much in our current situation.

So we're kind of between a rock and a hard place. To keep him on a new deal is going to cost us, and to sell him in his final year is going to mean we don't get fair value because the market isn't there for him from the places where we could attract the right fee.

So leaves us with either:
- letting him run out his deal on his lowish salary (£50k pw or thereabouts) and losing him for free
- selling him for a low fee - which might help the books a bit but we will struggle to sign a good replacement with the cash
- loaning him out - which might get us a smaller fee still and get his wages off the books but again leaves us with the replacement problem
- keeping him on big wages (new contract) but risk not being able to sell him down the line because he'd be priced out of a move.

There's no perfect option here really. I'm not even sure what I want to happen

Does Iwobi actually get into our starting 11 if everyone's fit? Only way I think he does is if he plays out wide on the right maybe, where I don't rate him at all.

He 's always gone on about his preferred role being in a central attacking midfield role, yet Doucoure, despite playing less than half the amount of minutes Iwobi did in the PL last season, has almost the same number of goal contributions and is far more effective in that CAM role if you like.

I can't see him displacing Gueye because of Gana's defensive contributions, and I'd much rather see Garner, who looked great at times last season, alongside Gueye rather than Iwobi.

Works tremendously hard, can't fault him for that, but with 1 year left on his deal and he doesn't seem to be wanting to sign a new one? Get rid!
Sums it up. I don’t mind him ever since that one game he suddenly realised if you just run, chase and harry, the crowd will back you and good things happen. But he wants CL football, and yet might not get in our pretty poor starting lineup. Quite the difference of opinion there.

Sums it up. I don’t mind him ever since that one game he suddenly realised if you just run, chase and harry, the crowd will back you and good things happen. But he wants CL football, and yet might not get in our pretty poor starting lineup. Quite the difference of opinion there.
The fact it took him just shy of 3 seasons to realize that it's not actually rocket science to get the crowd behind you, and that all's you have to do is run - which comes naturally to him, clearly demonstrates his intelligence as well. Not the only one in that squad like, but my word is he and plenty of others in that side thick as shig pit.

I don’t mind him but it’s crunch time on the contract for me, yeah puts a shift in, but lacks goals and makes some dodge decision’s with passing. I would rather sell now if we could get 10/15m but who can you see buying him for that and who would we bring in to replace for less money ? Surely if u r looking at him, you would be looking at the replacements that we would be looking at too,no?

Just cash in now, sure he has industry but there's limited quality.

I think you could replace him easily - If we go 10-12m for him, there'd be players out there younger and with higher ceilings of potential.

His versatility and work rate are his greatest asset; for the club to progress, there has to be more quality.

I like Iwobi and I'm really impressed with how he's worked hard and won over (most of) the people who wrote him off.

3. None of the CL clubs here - or in the other biggest leagues - will view him as good enough for them.
4. CL clubs in Greece/Turkey/Scotland/France might fancy him but wouldn't pay the kind of fee we'd want.
5. If we offer him a new deal we're going to probably have to pay him £100k per week which is a bit much in our current situation.

So we're kind of between a rock and a hard place. To keep him on a new deal is going to cost us, and to sell him in his final year is going to mean we don't get fair value because the market isn't there for him from the places where we could attract the right fee.

- letting him run out his deal on his lowish salary (£50k pw or thereabouts) and losing him for free
- selling him for a low fee - which might help the books a bit but we will struggle to sign a good replacement with the cash
- loaning him out - which might get us a smaller fee still and get his wages off the books but again leaves us with the replacement problem
- keeping him on big wages (new contract) but risk not being able to sell him down the line because he'd be priced out of a move.

It is a quandry for sure. He gives us a lot of effort which suits Dyche but little end product.

NEA if he signs, in fact I'd rather he left, imagine getting player of the year for running around a lot, Pickford and Tarkowski, even McNiel much more deserving for me. He is a symptom of the dysfunction we currently find ourselves embroiled in.

He thinks he can play Champions League and I have no doubt he could but it wouldn't be for any of the top 5 leagues teams, so off to Midtjylland you go son.

He is nowhere near on "lowish wages".

Status
Not open for further replies.