2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbf to him, at current rate he won't be far off 15 assists...

Edit: He has 5 assists and 1 goal in 15 games btw, just for clarification.

Solid shout mate and as things stand, do you think he should be paid 100k a week? Based on current stats he'd be on around 11/12 assists and 3 goals. Is that worthy of a 100k a week as our most creative/sort of a number 10 player?

100% mate. He's been one of the best players under Lampard by some distance.....but for the area he plays we need far far more from him when it comes to goals and assists.

We are currently a 12th-16th placed PL club so we shouldn't be paying anyone near 100k a week unless they are slotting 20 goals a season or assisting 15 or keeping 20 clean sheets etc.

You are so spot on mate, agree completely. We love a bit of effort etc, but if you aren’t posting close to double figures for goals or assists or unlocking and changing games you can forget about a salary of 100k, Maddison for examp,e is on 110k, he’s worth that, Odengaard 80k, that’s the type of company contract wise he’s asking for comparatively, no where near that level.

To my mind if he gets one we have three players on over 100k Mina, Gomes and then Iwobi. None should be the future of this club. Iwobi has been great, but if you rewind back 24 months and the players that were available he’s not starting over the likes of say Jamo or Sigurrdson, he’s our best player through default of having to sell or get rid of better ones.

He’s a good honest pro, playing very well and has in the short term of months, but he’s not a 100k a week player, nor has he been worth 11 mill a season to us. It’s a bad decision baking that in for another five years. I look at it the same as Gomes who did it for a year, earned a fortune then never again and we are stuck with him. Keep by all means but in less and for shorter. We have to stop the gravy train and handing out career contracts, to players who haven’t done it over time or have the potential to regress.

Last edited:
Solid shout mate and as things stand, do you think he should be paid 100k a week? Based on current stats he'd be on around 11/12 assists and 3 goals. Is that worthy of a 100k a week as our most creative/sort of a number 10 player?
It's a weird one isn't it. I'm not even sure if 100k is a lot anymore, the money just goes up and up every year.

What I do know is that Iwobi is a key player for us right now and if he does end the season on 10+ assists then he definitely deserves to be one of our highest earners.

And I also know that I'd be much happier with him earning that sort of money than the current batch of high earners e.g. Mina, Gomes

You are so spot on mate, agree completely. We love a bit of effort etc, but if you aren’t posting close to double figures for goals or assists or unlocking and changing games you can forget about a salary of 100k, Maddison for examp,e is on 110k, he’s worth that, Odengaard 80k, that’s the type of company contract wise he’s asking for comparatively, no where near that level.

To my mind if he gets one we have three players on over 100k Mina, Gomes and then Iwobi. None should be the future of this club. Iwobi has been great, but if you rewind back 24 months and the players that were available he’s not starting over the likes of say Jamo or Sigurrdson, he’s our best player through default of having to sell or get rid of better ones.

He’s a good honest pro, playing very well and has in the short term of months, but he’s not a 100k a week player, nor has he been worth 11 mill a season to us. It’s a bad decision baking that in for another five years. I look at it the same as Gomes who did it for a year, earned a fortune then never again and we are stuck with him. Keep by all means but in less and for shorter. We have to stop the gravy train and handing out career contracts, to players who haven’t done it over time or have the potential to regress.

Spot on ;)

It's a weird one isn't it. I'm not even sure if 100k is a lot anymore, the money just goes up and up every year.

What I do know is that Iwobi is a key player for us right now and if he does end the season on 10+ assists then he definitely deserves to be one of our highest earners.

And I also know that I'd be much happier with him earning that sort of money than the current batch of high earners e.g. Mina, Gomes

Thays the thing isn't though mate, none of them should be on anywhere near 100k because their output just doesn't warrant that type of money. We are a lower table team, they're playing like 20k-40k pw players/squad.

All contract talk should be on hold until we know what division we’re playing in next season imo.

2 reasons why this won't happen

1. Everton will know once Iwobi gets down to 12 months left of his contract, he'll just run it down and leave on a free

2. Everton will panic and give him 100k a week even though we are a 12th-16th place club.

2 reasons why this won't happen

1. Everton will know once Iwobi gets down to 12 months left of his contract, he'll just run it down and leave on a free

2. Everton will panic and give him 100k a week even though we are a 12th-16th place club.

Well if we’re in the Championship then it makes a hell of a lot more sense to let his contract run down and release him than give him a pay rise for another 5 years. That sort of thing could genuinely end the club.

I agree with this and you have to ask yourself who else is going to offer him £100k? We need to stop competing with ourselves for players.

£100k is a lot and I also think the bubble could burst at any point. We are seeing big clubs changing hands.
Gomes and Mina were signed from Barca and would needed that kind of salary. Neither proved a good investment. Iwobe is a solid premier league player. Not a top six performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.