2021/22 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were 2 incidents which annoyed me with him yesterday which sets apart a quality player with a distinctly average player. He was involved in a nice piece of football resulting in him receiving a pass and getting in behind Walker. His 1st touch put him inside Walker giving him the licence of getting across him preventing Walker from tackling him. He then decided to move the ball away from goal allowing Walker to get back and dispossess him. He had done the hard part with a lovely 1st touch and then give him a 2nd bite of the cherry which Walker took with aplomb. Then the cross to Richarlison which was cut out was a complete lack of composure. The lad has ability but he lacks a football brain and I’m been kind to him there.

The biggest issue with me Iwobi, for me is just his incapacity to close down or move towards a ball to collect it. There was a moment yesterday when the ball was played to him and he just stood still, never moved a muscle until the City full back strolled past him and took the ball. He seems unaware of his surroundings all the time, whether he has the ball or not. His decisions when covering Digne or Coleman seem off and seems to have very little understanding of his fellow players, or what they're going to do. There maybe an answer as to why, and personally I think its because he just doesn't have the concentration required to be a top class footballer.
All true and I've lost count of the number of times I heard Coleman berating him for it on the pitch. And for any doubters out here I sit right next to the touch line and I (and others around me) can hear it. He's f'ing clueless

There were 2 incidents which annoyed me with him yesterday which sets apart a quality player with a distinctly average player. He was involved in a nice piece of football resulting in him receiving a pass and getting in behind Walker. His 1st touch put him inside Walker giving him the licence of getting across him preventing Walker from tackling him. He then decided to move the ball away from goal allowing Walker to get back and dispossess him. He had done the hard part with a lovely 1st touch and then give him a 2nd bite of the cherry which Walker took with aplomb. Then the cross to Richarlison which was cut out was a complete lack of composure. The lad has ability but he lacks a football brain and I’m been kind to him there.

That first one was horrid. Why he didn’t just go straight towards goal makes no sense. Yeah, Walker is quick but Iwoeful had pole position. He’ll have to come from behind you, in that scenario there would even be the chance of an incidental trip that could still be a red card for preventing a goal scoring opportunity. Afraid of contact a bit? Heartless from a pro athlete if they don’t put their body on the line a bit if it’s their turn to go

The worst thing about that shocking attempt at a cross to Richarlison in the first half was City's goal of course coming less than a minute afterwards.

What melts my brain is that he doesn't get his body in between the ball and Walker when he's trying (I use the word trying very loosely here) to run with it towards goal.

Whether he thinks he's quick enough or not doesn't matter that's just a natural thing a footballer does. I do it when I'm playing in a 7 aside game on a Monday night, yet he's supposedly a professional football at the highest level and doesn't do it.

It's absolutely mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.