2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he can forge an understanding with James on the pitch and his confidence is high then we may see an improvement in the second half of the season.

He's started off so poorly that right now some posters are being very positive about him but he needs to show consistency and improvement.

At the moment I'd happily take a half decent fee from him but lets see how he does by season end.

I definitely want him to succeed and it would take a headache away from us in making other signings if he does. Im not convinced, his performance against Wolves was very good and impactful if we are to aspire and he is to be part of that he has to be that consistent most weeks, one of those players who can hit a high note to trigger a bit of hope, but also very low notes to, if we are to aspire we should want players who aren't boom and bust.

He’s done a good job for the team recently and when we’ve been playing this really deep defensive system it’s really suited him as we’ve looked to him to move us up the pitch and he’s had space to run into. Think some of the praise has been hyperbolic in the extreme, probably because he was starting from such a low base but he’s turning people’s opinion around so good for him.

That said, if the attacking players of the team are Richie, James, DCL and Iwobi then I think he’s the one who i’d be looking to upgrade to improve the first eleven. Needs to add more goals and assists, threat in the box, although he’s shown improvement there recently - who knows maybe he can just keep getting better and better. Will wait to see if he can keep this going second half of the season.

Erm both Nkounkou and Gordon are in the first team...
They aren't. Nkounkou has played 69 league minutes. Gordon has 87. Carlo doesn't view either as an option. I don't care if they're training with the team or playing in League Cup games against Lincoln.

I'm not even saying I agree with it going this way but it is clear that where they are now is not in the first team picture for selection most weeks. So Iwobi is all we have on the dribbling front.

They aren't. Nkounkou has played 69 league minutes. Gordon has 87. Carlo doesn't view either as an option. I don't care if they're training with the team or playing in League Cup games against Lincoln.

I'm not even saying I agree with it going this way but it is clear that where they are now is not in the first team picture for selection most weeks. So Iwobi is all we have on the dribbling front.

Not sure why youre mentioning league minutes.

Both have played in cup and league games for the first team and will continue to do so over the season.

Theyre first team players now.

I think it’s a case that both are still very very young, these days it’s very very rare that you get players younger than 21 consistently playing and performing in sides chasing / in Europe, especially in the EPL due the physicality and positional awareness required, plus the fact that generally (not including absolute wonder kids) they struggle a bit for consistency.

I personally would like more options in the wing, and upfront, especially players who can beat a man and have pace, but for now I think Iwobi is doing a very good job, and appears to be getting better every game

I think it’s a case that both are still very very young, these days it’s very very rare that you get players younger than 21 consistently playing and performing in sides chasing / in Europe, especially in the EPL due the physicality and positional awareness required, plus the fact that generally (not including absolute wonder kids) they struggle a bit for consistency.

I personally would like more options in the wing, and upfront, especially players who can beat a man and have pace, but for now I think Iwobi is doing a very good job, and appears to be getting better every game
It's really not that rare.

It's really not that rare.
The RS last season only had Arnold who was 20-21, United have had Martial and Rashford who have only been beginning to really show top level form since they hit 20-21, Arsenal have Saka who is a excellent talent, but have tried using a lot of young players and their form has been stuttering to say the least, Chelsea have James who is a excellent talent, and Mount who broke through at 20 I believe, and City have barely had any, despite having Foden who is immensely talented.

Realistically you do develop a lot physically between 18-20/21, plus obviously it gives the additional years to work on that rawness. Big clubs who stomp their leagues in Italy, Germany etc obviously have a bit more leeway to blood these players, but you don’t see many premier league teams who are smashing it full of teenagers

He's definitely looking much improved in the past few months, but I genuinely struggle to see why it took him so long to realise he can take on players and actually break into a sprint several times a game.

He was utterly appalling last season yet came to us fully integrated in the league and seemingly injury-free.

I hope he continues this upwards trajectory and becomes an important player for us. I've given him an awful lot of stick and nothing would please me more about him than to see him make me eat my words.

He started off OK and then got a bunch of niggling injuries and a new manager half way through the season.

Not saying these are the reasons but could be part of it.

The RS last season only had Arnold who was 20-21, United have had Martial and Rashford who have only been beginning to really show top level form since they hit 20-21, Arsenal have Saka who is a excellent talent, but have tried using a lot of young players and their form has been stuttering to say the least, Chelsea have James who is a excellent talent, and Mount who broke through at 20 I believe, and City have barely had any, despite having Foden who is immensely talented.

Realistically you do develop a lot physically between 18-20/21, plus obviously it gives the additional years to work on that rawness. Big clubs who stomp their leagues in Italy, Germany etc obviously have a bit more leeway to blood these players, but you don’t see many premier league teams who are smashing it full of teenagers
United now have Greenwood too. Leicester have Barnes and Justin now. City with Foden and although they spent a fortune on him also Jesus had limited experience when he came into the team. Zinchenko too. RS are using that Jones lad a fair bit now. Different league but Davies was one of Bayern's best players in the CL run. I'm not saying teams are filled with them but it isn't some once in a blue moon thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.