2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness, Vlasic (who I've always said was probably the one player I regret leaving from the end of that Walsh era because he's actually a ball-carrying number 10/8) and Lookman were sold and those two fees match (give or take) what we paid for Iwobi in the same summer.

Mental.

Thought he played well on Saturday. Overall he’s been a useful squad player for us this season. I like him.
He's had his moments.

But, he's so, so inconsistent (a lot of the squad are tbf), but from one pass to the next, not even one game to the next.

Honestly, with all the money we have spunked in recent years, he goes down as one of our worst buys for me, for the fee we paid.

It is a shame we didn't get to see him at 10 longer than we did the other day but it was a mental system to set up in against Burnley and he's not good enough for that trade off. Do think that's on Carlo, mind. Could have easily played 4-2-3-1 with Davies and Allan just tasked to sit and that would have given Iwobi the freedom to play 10. But, is what it is.

People that analyse football based on stats rather than the evidence of their own eyes frustrate me enormously and in my humble opinion dont really understand the game.
I don't recall any managers who are statisticians.
You should use both. Stats can help back up - or actually disprove - an opinion. they shouldn't be used as a sole outlier of what a player does, though.

In all seriousness, Vlasic (who I've always said was probably the one player I regret leaving from the end of that Walsh era because he's actually a ball-carrying number 10/8) and Lookman were sold and those two fees match (give or take) what we paid for Iwobi in the same summer.

Mental.
Vlasic, at the time of being sold, wasn't a player fit for a strong league imo. But being consistent in national lineup and basically carrying CSKA on his own in RU league improved him a lot.

Perhaps he was sold too soon, maybe another loan to CSKA would've been a better fit.

People that analyse football based on stats rather than the evidence of their own eyes frustrate me enormously and in my humble opinion dont really understand the game.
I don't recall any managers who are statisticians.
Every top club in 2021 is using this stuff on some level for decisions

They also use their eyes too.

Thats how they know Iwobi is crap like the rest of us.
I hope it’s the final mistake of this kind, looks a horrible signing now and we’ve got another average player on too much wedge who won’t be of interest to other teams.

Vlasic, at the time of being sold, wasn't a player fit for a strong league imo. But being consistent in national lineup and basically carrying CSKA on his own in RU league improved him a lot.

Perhaps he was sold too soon, maybe another loan to CSKA would've been a better fit.

He did carry the ball though and it's just a shame someone like him didn't get the chance to play under Carlo.

I take the point - at the time it was probably the right move. Just how that money has been spent is atrocious.

'Coulda, shoulda, woulda'

Status
Not open for further replies.