2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season
Iwobi: 1 goal 2 assists
Cost: 28million.
Not. Good. Enough.

Like every player really, those stats don't bother me - you can be exceptional in the earlier phase of a move that results in a goal and get no statistical credit for it, or you can score 10 penalties a season and be a 'goalscorer'. Means little.

The problem with Iwobi is, even if you ignore the stats and go on your eyes, he's one of the biggest wastes of space I've seen in an Everton shirt.

I think Mr. Iguana's staunch defence of Iwobi should go on down with some of the most famous misguided American takes re: footballers on GrandOldTeam.com/EvertonForum.

Up there with the greats like @pgheverton 's Trindon Holliday fascination and the Jozy Altidore fan club of the late 2000's (you know who you are boys).

If anyone could remind me of some more I'd appreciate it.

I think Mr. Iguana's staunch defence of Iwobi should go on down with some of the most famous misguided American takes re: footballers on GrandOldTeam.com/EvertonForum.

Up there with the greats like @pgheverton 's Trindon Holliday fascination and the Jozy Altidore fan club of the late 2000's (you know who you are boys).

Tim Howard 2015/2016 thread will probably have a few.

that Icelandic Sigurdsson fan was pretty good too

He said, with complete genuine seriousness, that Sigurdsson was better than Messi because he could kick the ball with both feet.
Didn’t think it was possible to top that but at this point it’s slightly less ridiculous than the alternative reality being occupied in this thread!

Been guilty of it myself, was convinced Faddy was the Scottish Rooney long after everyone else twigged he wasn’t. I blamed: formation, players around him, position he was played/not played, Davey Moyes set up, Davey Moyes negative approach, Davey Moyes didn’t like him, the grass was too long at Goodison etc. He left, I thought he’d go off and prove us wrong, he didn’t....in time I just had to accept he wasn’t good enough and I was wrong.

Like every player really, those stats don't bother me - you can be exceptional in the earlier phase of a move that results in a goal and get no statistical credit for it, or you can score 10 penalties a season and be a 'goalscorer'. Means little.

The problem with Iwobi is, even if you ignore the stats and go on your eyes, he's one of the biggest wastes of space I've seen in an Everton shirt.
I agree you could use stats to say he is better than he looks too, with dribbles and preassists, but he fails the eye test. Also he plays in a position where he should be getting assists, even Sidibie got eight last season from right back. You could say well he isn't a right winger as his preferred position, so that's why he can't cross very well. So what is he then a ten or a left winger? Because his lack of production is very similar in all of those positions he doesn't have a cutting edge and won't play above Sig or James in those roles if they are fit because they produce more. He has talent but he isn't what we need and isn't as good as he thinks he is. Physically he looks awkward too like his upper body is carrying too much muscle. We need pace and direct running and or creation from our right hand side it's not Iwobi. He would probably look decent for Palace or Fulham though.

I agree you could use stats to say he is better than he looks too, with dribbles and preassists, but he fails the eye test. Also he plays in a position where he should be getting assists, even Sidibie got eight last season from right back. You could say well he isn't a right wingeras his preferred position so what is he then a ten or a left winger? Because his lack of production is very similar in all of those positions he doesn't have a cutting edge. He has talent but he isn't what we need.
The answer is he can't cross. Sidibe could that's why he got assists on the right. A one footed, right footed player on the right is going to have to play down the line which means crossing which he can't do. He's in a position that emphasizes the skill he's least adept at.

Status
Not open for further replies.