2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately for us I think it is the player. I don't think Iwobi leaves for Newcastle next year and takes the league by storm.

Arteta worked out brilliantly for us on the right side for the first couple of years he was here. Eventually, that role ran it's course but we all knew he was still an excellent player and there'd be another role for him in the team. I just don't see that with Iwobi. I don't have a longing to see him have 5 games as a number 10.
It might be.

But if you don't really look into it you definitely risk making the mistake again, whether the mistake is the actual signing or how you tried to integrate that player into the side. We have always tended to do the easy thing and blame the player I think so hopefully we don't this time.

I know they are only highlight reels but its a glimpse of what he's capable of (90% of his play on the left wing).

You can see from these what Brands was looking at as a Zaha backup at its pretty simillar in style.

Think he has been hampered by injuries and form (not just him, the team too). Been played on the right as there is no alternitive and in and out. Looks a different, confident player here. I know its only clips but my point is, he does have quality. We just need him to get a run in his favoured position and show it consistently

I know they are only highlight reels but its a glimpse of what he's capable of (90% of his play on the left wing).

You can see from these what Brands was looking at as a Zaha backup at its pretty simillar in style.

Think he has been hampered by injuries and form (not just him, the team too). Been played on the right as there is no alternitive and in and out. Looks a different, confident player here. I know its only clips but my point is, he does have quality. We just need him to get a run in his favoured position and show it consistently

He looks about three stone lighter there. What the hell has he been eating since he joined us? The guy can't even run any more.

The amount of time him and Davies can't get their body in position to receive the obvious pass is frighteningly poor. Never seen two players having to stretch and miscontrol the ball so often. Iwobi particularly guilty of late.

Watching the old Arsenal clips he does look a bit slimmer. I don't know that it is fat necessarily, footballers lift weights pretty regular now, just look at DCL, but I do think it is a bad thing.
I'll say he looks like he has baulked up but it makes him slower and more awkward looking as a runner now.

View attachment 93503

Stats are indefensible. I can´t get my head around how we came to conclusion this was the signing we needed to make.

Honestly, give me that Vlasic type signing all day long over this. Yeah, it didn´t work out but at least there was potential to buy into and worst case scenario we don´t squander obscene amounts of money.
Iwobi did bag a fair number of assists at Arsenal.

Iwobi felt like a back up plan to Zaha and he was probably bought to play as a ten. The fact he is poor on the wings is down to him as he should be able to adapt we just aren't seeing enough. He will probably start until Walcott is back because Carlo doesn't rate Bernard it seems to me. He looks physically a strange shape like he has baulked up his upper body but it has affected his pace and running it looks really awkward, he also looks low on confidence. It's looking another terrible buy right now.

He does look an entirely different player there

Ws

I take the point about injuries maybe he has been in the gym too much when he was out with the hamstring I think it was. But he has played on the left and has never played like that for us.

He’s up there with the Delph, Walcott and Bolasie signings, huge contract and act like we should be happy he’s signed for us in the first place.

No real commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.