2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Iwobi looks every inch the panic signing he was. Sometimes it's just better to just keep your powder dry. We did this at centre back last summer and whilst we as fans were disappointed, the result was that Mason Holgate was closer to the first team.

Our season would not be different one tiny bit had we never signed this chump, and all of the minutes he's had pretending to be an Everton player this season could have gone to someone else, like Anthony Gordon.

Instead now we're stuck with a £35 million pound turkey for probably a good few years because our DoF and former manager got a bit concerned that Wilf Zaha did not arrive.

Alex Iwobi looks every inch the panic signing he was. Sometimes it's just better to just keep your powder dry. We did this at centre back last summer and whilst we as fans were disappointed, the result was that Mason Holgate was closer to the first team.

Our season would not be different one tiny bit had we never signed this chump, and all of the minutes he's had pretending to be an Everton player this season could have gone to someone else, like Anthony Gordon.

Instead now we're stuck with a £35 million pound turkey for probably a good few years because our DoF and former manager got a bit concerned that Wilf Zaha did not arrive.
Not really the thread for it but in all the talk about Brands and the signings he did make, this is one of the scariest things for me. I don't mind admitting that Holgate's progress has surprised me, but it's massively concerning that it appears to have surprised our DoF too. He should really have been saying last summer that we didn't need a centre half and telling Silva to use Holgate. That he didn't, and was seemingly willing to drop £30m on someone to push him down the pecking order - possibly even sell him - shouldn't go under the radar.

Not really the thread for it but in all the talk about Brands and the signings he did make, this is one of the scariest things for me. I don't mind admitting that Holgate's progress has surprised me, but it's massively concerning that it appears to have surprised our DoF too. He should really have been saying last summer that we didn't need a centre half and telling Silva to use Holgate. That he didn't, and was seemingly willing to drop £30m on someone to push him down the pecking order - possibly even sell him - shouldn't go under the radar.

Yes you're very correct. I worded it wrong in my original post so it sounded like we deliberately didn't sign another centre back as we knew Holgate was ready, but as you point out, that wasn't the case at all.

He certainly was poor, works hard, but creates nothing from wide positions.
It's a weird one this. I don't disagree, but he reminds me a bit of Sigurdsson in this regard. He sort of notionally works hard, like he covers ground and gets back in position etc, but he doesn't always put his foot in or go looking for the ball. You always come away thinking he could have done more.

He shirks out of impact Situations with opposition players. I noticed this last night & it’s really put me off him.

Plus he’s not a 4-4-2 wide midfielder in 1000 years

I was called a crank, a misery and more when we signed him. I just couldn't get enthused because whenever I saw him play, he lacked composure.

The timing of the transfer, and the fee we paid really did indicate he was never a priority.

Everton can't go spending that type of money on someone who is low down a list of priorities, or even a last resort.

It's better to not spend at all, than to be so wasteful.

Football can be simple sometimes.

He doesn't score, or assist enough.

He never had that composure at Arsenal, it's hard to see him finding it at Everton.

My attempt to find a positive when we signed him was his age, and Brands must have saw something in him that can compliment a different setup.

Alarm bells rang though when Silva was saying on day one that Iwobi needed to score more goals. He was right, we needed more goals from midfield and certainly that position but we spent a fortune on a player with a record that heavily suggested he was not that player.

It's a weird one this. I don't disagree, but he reminds me a bit of Sigurdsson in this regard. He sort of notionally works hard, like he covers ground and gets back in position etc, but he doesn't always put his foot in or go looking for the ball. You always come away thinking he could have done more.

Yeah Sigurdsson does charge around at times. The problem is he's nowhere the level physically for it to have any impact. Sad to see.

I want him to come good, but he's just a bang average attacker. Doesn't really excel at anything besides dribbling forward, and looks completely lost in the final third. I'm sure he'll get another season but I imagine Iwobi will be moved on for a significant loss at some point. He is Brands' worst signing.

His age is the one positive.

His obvious lack of pace is painful to watch. It makes it easy to defend against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.