2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
But isn't that disturbing to you that they picked Iwobi to be our replacement for Sigurdsson? This is a player who has barely played in a central role his whole career yet it seems like our scouts have deemed him good enough.

Everton finish top 4, Iwobi plays 30+ games as the number 10. It's just not going to happen is it?
Probably not at this point. But we also aren't exactly in a position to just pick whoever we want to fill the role. Brands saw Iwobi being above average at a few things and thought it would fit. It didn't really, although the one time he played in a 3 man midfield also happened to be easily our best performance of the season, and now it won't because he doesn't suit playing wide in a 4-4-2 full stop.

What I wonder is if it could have worked if the set up was better. I know he hasn't played well and that is to some degree down to the player, but the things who brought to Arsenal last year haven't been there for them this year. So that to me suggests that it wasn't totally a fluke, the ball progression and through ball and passing into the box things were all real skills, and we haven't unlocked them for some reason.

Been down more blind corridors than a geeky' ribbon wearing hall monitor this absolute waste of good semen.

Probably not at this point. But we also aren't exactly in a position to just pick whoever we want to fill the role. Brands saw Iwobi being above average at a few things and thought it would fit. It didn't really, although the one time he played in a 3 man midfield also happened to be easily our best performance of the season, and now it won't because he doesn't suit playing wide in a 4-4-2 full stop.

What I wonder is if it could have worked if the set up was better. I know he hasn't played well and that is to some degree down to the player, but the things who brought to Arsenal last year haven't been there for them this year. So that to me suggests that it wasn't totally a fluke, the ball progression and through ball and passing into the box things were all real skills, and we haven't unlocked them for some reason.

Arsenal fans at work just walk past me every day and quote the transfer fee we paid for him. Whatever he was doing last year, they weren't too sad to see the back of it.

I completely understand that his technique isn't dreadful but he is a squad player at best, which is massive shame because I'm in no doubt he was brought in to be one of the main men.

Arsenal fans at work just walk past me every day and quote the transfer fee we paid for him. Whatever he was doing last year, they weren't too sad to see the back of it.

I completely understand that his technique isn't dreadful but he is a squad player at best, which is massive shame because I'm in no doubt he was brought in to be one of the main men.
Arsenal fans in my experience are deluded into thinking they're still at the level where anyone who isn't Henry or Bergkamp level isn't good enough. So I don't put stock into that too much. The one sound one I know says he wished they'd have kept him or that at least whoever took him on would give him a chance to play central because he had some attributes to work there. He also thought he played reasonably well last season so he could see why we would sign him.

Yeah I wish it worked better too, but I do think we need to try and figure out how much of it not working is us messing things up versus the player just not being good. Because we have a long history of it not working out for us and it isn't always just the player being bad.

Really needs to up his game if he wants a career in the premier league. Such a poor attitude this season.
Why do you say that?

Personally think the attitude is the least of the issues. Mostly because I can't tell without being involved with the team what his attitude is actually like.

Why do you say that?

Personally think the attitude is the least of the issues. Mostly because I can't tell without being involved with the team what his attitude is actually like.
I wish it was his attitude and he wasn't just an awful football player.

Why do you say that?

He is probably quicker than Gordon andmay even be more skilful. He’s definitely more experienced. Why is it then that a 19 year old kid is coming on and making stuff happen whilst Iwobi is struggling to even keep possession? He’s not putting himself about off the ball. He just doesn’t look interested.

He is probably quicker than Gordon andmay even be more skilful. He’s definitely more experienced. Why is it then that a 19 year old kid is coming on and making stuff happen whilst Iwobi is struggling to even keep possession? He’s not putting himself about off the ball. He just doesn’t look interested.
Looks can be deceiving mate.

Would think the fee's they spent on crap like Sokratis, Mustafi, Xhaka and David Luiz's new contract would shame them into being quiet. Pepe cost £70mill and looks awful

Arsenal fans in my experience are deluded into thinking they're still at the level where anyone who isn't Henry or Bergkamp level isn't good enough. So I don't put stock into that too much. The one sound one I know says he wished they'd have kept him or that at least whoever took him on would give him a chance to play central because he had some attributes to work there. He also thought he played reasonably well last season so he could see why we would sign him.

Yeah I wish it worked better too, but I do think we need to try and figure out how much of it not working is us messing things up versus the player just not being good. Because we have a long history of it not working out for us and it isn't always just the player being bad.

Unfortunately for us I think it is the player. I don't think Iwobi leaves for Newcastle next year and takes the league by storm.

Arteta worked out brilliantly for us on the right side for the first couple of years he was here. Eventually, that role ran its course but we all knew he was still an excellent player and there'd be another role for him in the team. I just don't see that with Iwobi. I don't have a longing to see him have 5 games as a number 10.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.