2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bolasie and Iwobi are entirely different.

I feel those comparing the two have seen winger and London club in the same sentence.

I'll try and explain the comparison.

Iwobi has vastly superior technique. He doesn't run with his head down at top pace in a straight line with the ball knocked 20 yards away.

However, the comparison is in how they use the ball. It's often brainless. That vid posted before - for every time he knocks it through someones legs, there's ten other times he hasn't give the simple pass and knocked it against a leg instead and lost possession. For every trick he does to get by someone, you'll more often than not see an awful cross or running it out of play. He's a turnover machine with too little end product.

His pass stats don't surprise me - so many into the box, so many Hollywood passes, resulting in so many interceptions as the pass was never on.

That's the comparison with Bolasie - how he'd often smash aimless crosses in the box or run the ball out of play or try a meg and fall over. They also both have little instinct as to when to attack the box off the ball, which to be fair is also a criticism of the likes of Bernard.

The modern game uses technical wide players with brains, who hold possession and know when to push. The comparison between Iwobi and Bolasie isn't 'lazy' - it's that they're both footballers capable of the sublime, the highlight reel 'Match Of The Day' moments, but for the majority of any given game they're a waste of space who break down every decent attack.

Unlike Bolasie, Iwobi has time to come good and has a good technical base from which to do so. But the concerns about him are very valid.

Iwobi has vastly superior technique. He doesn't run with his head down at top pace in a straight line with the ball knocked 20 yards away.

However, the comparison is in how they use the ball. It's often brainless. That vid posted before - for every time he knocks it through someones legs, there's ten other times he hasn't give the simple pass and knocked it against a leg instead and lost possession. For every trick he does to get by someone, you'll more often than not see an awful cross or running it out of play. He's a turnover machine with too little end product.

His pass stats don't surprise me - so many into the box, so many Hollywood passes, resulting in so many interceptions as the pass was never on.

That's the comparison with Bolasie - how he'd often smash aimless crosses in the box or run the ball out of play or try a meg and fall over. They also both have little instinct as to when to attack the box off the ball, which to be fair is also a criticism of the likes of Bernard.

The modern game uses technical wide players with brains, who hold possession and know when to push. The comparison between Iwobi and Bolasie isn't 'lazy' - it's that they're both footballers capable of the sublime, the highlight reel 'Match Of The Day' moments, but for the majority of any given game they're a waste of space who break down every decent attack.

Unlike Bolasie, Iwobi has time to come good and has a good technical base from which to do so. But the concerns about him are very valid.
I have a feeling this post will look very poor, very soon. Brainless FFS.

Spoken like somebody who has never watched Iwobi play.

Fair enough if that’s your take, but I feel he’s a level up from Bolasie already.

So we agree that Benny Hill is better than Bolasie?

I think Iwobi is better than Walcott, is the third best wide option in our squad currently and I have no idea if he's better than Gylfi or not centrally.

My issue with him is that I haven't seen anything to suggest he can be an asset to push us into the top six, but he still has time to develop. I think the critcisms of him at Arsenal are valid; he'll need to improve dramatically IMO.

If I'm wrong and he is, great, but I can't just switch my opinion of him off just because he's signed for Everton.

Spoken like somebody who has never watched Iwobi play.

I'll have you know Tubey is one of the finest tactical minds of his generation. He doesn't even need to watch him play as he has a sixth sense for these kind of things.

Some say he can smell a matchday lineup from over 5 miles away and sense a tactical substitution 45 minutes before it even happens.

If he’s so aimless and breaks down all the attacks then how did he create more big chances than any other arsenal player last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.