2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been so starved of success for so long people cling onto the odd glimpses of class in home games by Gomes and Bernard.
They are both a million miles away from champions league class - just on physical attributes alone. We don’t even have to ask if they have ever turned up away from home in their whole careers!
We need to start buying players who have shown the ability at previous clubs to step up when the pressure is on, against the best teams and when away from home.
You win cups, leagues and get in top 4 by winning away games.
Until then we will continue to waste 20-50 million on rejects from champions league clubs or below who’s highlights reels suggest they are top class but in reality they are not the driven/committed players required to r re she is further than 8th, eeeerrrr or 12th.

People who say they trust their eyes over stats are baffling. Stats are facts, your eyes are subjective. Professional sports team use one and not the other for a reason.
It's because people can cherry pick stats to back up their argument.

Statistics are by no means a certain predictive science in footy. There are too many non-individual factors in play that make trying to look at an individual's stats and use them as some sort of future predictor don't work.

Liverpool tried to build a team using the Moneyball model of identifying players with good stats and what they considered under valued. It didn't go very well. They signed Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam.

If you think modern football clubs are only making decisions on stats only and not the eye test then you're mistaken. That's why we have scouts, if we were only basing decisions off of spreadsheets what need for them would we have?

Stats suit sports that focus more on individuals and specialized roles rather than a fluid team game like Footy. Sports like Baseball or NFL where players are mainly judged on specific individual moments. They still haven't got it figured out for footy.

It's because people can cherry pick stats to back up their argument.

Statistics are by no means a certain predictive science in footy. There are too many non-individual factors in play that make trying to look at an individual's stats and use them as some sort of future predictor don't work.

Liverpool tried to build a team using the Moneyball model of identifying players with good stats and what they considered under valued. It didn't go very well. They signed Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam.

If you think modern football clubs are only making decisions on stats only and not the eye test then you're mistaken. That's why we have scouts, if we were only basing decisions off of spreadsheets what need for them would we have?

Stats suit sports that focus more on individuals and specialized roles rather than a fluid team game like Footy. Sports like Baseball or NFL where players are mainly judged on specific individual moments. They still haven't got it figured out for footy.
Statistics in football have come a long way since Stewart Downing was a hot name. If that's you evidence for them being useless, I think it is misguided a decade later.

Statistics in football have come a long way since Stewart Downing was a hot name. If that's you evidence for them being useless, I think it is misguided a decade later.

Maybe they have.

Can you point out any recent examples of successful transfers based solely on statistics mate?

Must be loads given how far the stats have come and the lack of need for the eye test.

Maybe they have.

Can you point out any recent examples of successful transfers based solely on statistics mate?

Must be loads given how far the stats have come and the lack of need for the eye test.
It is hard to say for certain, I'm not running a club and I don't know how much teams do or don't rely on statistics when they're making decisions. But things like Leicester signing one of the highest volume tacklers to replace the high volume tackler in midfield that they were selling don't seem like complete coincidences. Or when the RS sign every midfielder with a similar set of skills.

I assume that stats are only a part of the process. But I also think they are vital to the success of teams that have incorporated them properly. I've seen articles in the last few months about Juve, City and the RS all incorporating numbers into what they do. They have a lot going for them but I'm sure that helps.

Maybe they have.

Idrissa Gana Gueye sjgned by Steve Walsh from Aston Villa for Everton Football Club.

Like others I'm not yet convinced by Iwobi, but also have patience and sympathetic to his situation, having come under a declining manager and questionable tactics. Looked good as a replacement for Siggy earlier this season, but didn't seem to have confidence in shooting and making decisive passes. here, his defensive role required his fitness and energy and he did it well. In the future, Davies or one of Coleman / Kenny could do this role, if we're going for a 'tactical' 4-4-2 type of formation, we could pay 2 sets of full backs maybe?

I prefer players who stick to the tactics outlined by our world class manager. Like Iwobi did yesterday.
If he had been braver I might have noticed him, all I saw was someone who frightened of receiving the ball and getting rid of it has soon as he did, and not bothered where he was hitting the ball. If you were satisfied with that you are very easily pleased.

If he had been braver I might have noticed him, all I saw was someone who frightened of receiving the ball and getting rid of it has soon as he did, and not bothered where he was hitting the ball. If you were satisfied with that you are very easily pleased.
Think this is fair. It's possible to appreciate that he did a decent disciplined job and also think that he could have offered a little bit more in possession, not sure why some people have to be so polar on things.

People who say they trust their eyes over stats are baffling. Stats are facts, your eyes are subjective. Professional sports team use one and not the other for a reason.
No amount of stats will make me believe a poor player is a good one, my eyes will tell me he is still a poor player, and every player who starts for Everton gets a fair go from me, after a good length of time, unless they are starting their career, Imwill know a poor player from a good one, if they have no bottle you can tell sooner, and unless Iwobi learns to accept that football is a physical game he will be no use to Everton.

I thought he worked very hard doing a defensive role he needs to show more composure on the ball and going forward though. To be fair we didn't have it enough and the entire midfield needs to do better with that. There are times he looks a bit awkward seems he prefers a more number ten role he won't get that with a 442.

He'll get more of a chance to show the attacking side of his game against Norwich if he features.

Also worth noting we switched to 3 CMs with one being at 10 when Bernard came on so maybe there will be a chance for Iwobi to play his preferred role.

Status
Not open for further replies.