2022/23 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a very specfic role, with the ball he was almost playing as a support to the striker, without the ball he sat in front of Onana and Gueye sweeping, almost making it three lines Arsenal had to break down to progress play.

Very clever by Dyche.

I was surprised by his inclusion.

Then I thought Dyche probably favours the physical players.

Doucoure I feel is naturally slow with the ball movement. If he was a split second faster in decision making then he’d be much more favoured.

He has some good attributes. Probably surprised by the fact he got such a clear goal scoring opportunity then was clearly annoyed with himself for not converting.

I wonder what Dyche said to him? It’s clear he’s talking to the players which is all I asked for.

Like pretty much everyone else on here I raised an eyebrow at the starting XI and the fact that he was started in the hole behind DCL. Ended up doing a great job.. never expected him to be able to press like that throughout the 90 and was generally a nuisance.

He's deffo a prime example of a player that, if you can utilise him wisely, he'll do a job for you. Good call from Dyche.

I was surprised by his inclusion.

Then I thought Dyche probably favours the physical players.

Doucoure I feel is naturally slow with the ball movement. If he was a split second faster in decision making then he’d be much more favoured.

He has some good attributes. Probably surprised by the fact he got such a clear goal scoring opportunity then was clearly annoyed with himself for not converting.

I wonder what Dyche said to him? It’s clear he’s talking to the players which is all I asked for.

To be honest mate, I thought Doucoure and Coleman would be straight in under Dyche, I even thought we’d play with the midfield three, though I wasn’t expecting Doucoure to be so advanced. He’s too much of a physical presence not to play in Dyche team, but maybe that’s an injustice to me. If you go back through this thread I’ve one of the few that’s backed him.

I think its an absolute urban myth built on nothing but group think that Doucoure isnt a very good player, he’s always been for us, we’ve always suffered without him in the team and I think he’s massively underatted - he’s a very good but more importantly impactful PL player. He improves us always has.

Admittedly he’s not a player who is going to thrive in a philosophy like Lampard who wants to play through the lines - he doesn’t have technical ability, but fight, presence, breaking lines, winning the midfield battle and supporting play he’s brilliant. He’s going to be important and impactful to us going on, he always has been.

Extend his contract in my opinion.

To be honest mate, I thought Doucoure and Coleman would be straight in under Dyche, I even thought we’d play with the midfield three, though I wasn’t expecting Doucoure to be so advanced. He’s too much of a physical presence not to play in Dyche team, but maybe that’s an injustice to me. If you go back through this thread I’ve one of the few that’s backed him.

I think its an absolute urban myth built on nothing but group think that Doucoure isnt a very good player, he’s always been for us, we’ve always suffered without him in the team and I think he’s massively underatted - he’s a very good but more importantly impactful PL player. He improves us always has.

Admittedly he’s not a player who is going to thrive in a philosophy like Lampard who wants to play through the lines - he doesn’t have technical ability, but fight, presence, breaking lines, winning the midfield battle and supporting play he’s brilliant. He’s going to be important and impactful to us going on, he always has been.

Extend his contract in my opinion.

My only issue with him is speed.

Not flat out pace, but more the speed in which he controls and moves the ball. I feel like he labours over it.

One moment I saw today, we got the foul, but even he himself knows he could have released it quicker. It’s one moment, in todays game. In the past it’s been numerous and he’s lost the ball and not got the foul. If he can learn to balance then he’s earned his place right?

Had a first game bounce in form with a new manager after the last one saw him for what he is, a fraud of a player who can't control the ball or pass it further than 5 yards, decent game from him today but let's see how he goes for the rest of the season and let's not forget he's been turd for 18 months.

My only issue with him is speed.

Not flat out pace, but more the speed in which he controls and moves the ball. I feel like he labours over it.

One moment I saw today, we got the foul, but even he himself knows he could have released it quicker. It’s one moment, in todays game. In the past it’s been numerous and he’s lost the ball and not got the foul. If he can learn to balance then he’s earned his place right?

Its not his strength admittedly mate, his strength is the running game, giving it simply and going and his massive presence, he will keep it ticking over but he’s never spraying 30 yarders.

What he does he does brilliantly and I appreciate it, but he’s never going to stand on a ball like Arteta. He’s more like Mofro - if that makes sense and that’s ok. You need that player to provide the presence and win the midfield battle and enable others and the system.

Why were Onana and Idrissa so good today compared to the previous games - Doucoure was in there with them and they owned that midfield and controlled the game between them.

Only for Onana today, he was my MOM.

Im a big advocate for Doucoure.

Last edited:
Its not his strength admittedly mate, his strength is the running game, giving it simply and going and his massive presence, he will keep it ticking over but he’s never spraying 30 yarders.

What he does he does brilliantly and I appreciate it but he’s never going to stand on a ball like Arteta. He’s more like Mofro - if that makes sense and that’s ok. You need that player to provide the presence and win the midfield battle and enable others and the system.

Why were Onana and Idrissa so good today compared to the previous games - Doucoure was in there eith them and they owned that midfield and controlled the game between them.

You’re not wrong mate.

I just think if he can move the ball faster when it’s at his feet, he’d lose it less and be able to start some attacks or forward intention.

My traumatic Everton viewing is him passing it around on the half way line with the centre backs. Might as well and scratch my balls with a fork.

Get it forward!

You’re not wrong mate.

I just think if he can move the ball faster when it’s at his feet, he’d lose it less and be able to start some attacks or forward intention.

My traumatic Everton viewing is him passing it around on the half way line with the centre backs. Might as well and scratch my balls with a fork.

Get it forward!

Just when im reading that last line, I’m thinking of Iwobi giving away possession today and letting Arsenal in, on a different day they score - he’s done it before and cost us games. Sometimes the best pass is the safest one. Iwobi has much better technical ability, but I don’t think he’s a better player or a more effective player - as in I don’t think we are doing what we did today with Iwobi playing where Doucoure did, in fact he has been. I’m also thinking of Kenny looseing possession Vs Burnley, JT at Wolves and also Vs Southampton, all leading to goals.

Quality of technique is only one small part of the game. He has attributes, but we are out of a phase with a manager in Lampard that tried to play a high technical game playing between the lines and we got tanked most weeks, I don’t see how coveting a high technical passing game is actually a good thing to be honest. You can be over technical and ineffective like under Lampard and ultimately Martinez, it’s often a bit of a spoof people coveting and advocating technical players only - you need a balance. We saw that today, Arsenal have terrific Technical players but they had to many of them today, they needed someone who could out battle, Gueye, Onana and Doucoure - they didn’t have it and didn’t win the battle to impose their game - we imposed our game and that was down to the three lads.

Last edited:

Played with a smile on his face which was nice to see ( tho I nearly wiped it off after that miss )
and I loved to see that embrace between the midfield after the game. same with the defence.

We've definitely got the spirit in the team, we just have to execute that spirit into a run of results

What he does he does brilliantly and I appreciate it, but he’s never going to stand on a ball like Arteta. He’s more like Mofro - if that makes sense and that’s ok. You need that player to provide the presence and win the midfield battle and enable others and the system.

Why were Onana and Idrissa so good today compared to the previous games - Doucoure was in there with them and they owned that midfield and controlled the game between them.

Only for Onana today, he was my MOM.

I wanted Frank to try this trio because Iwobi, Onana and Gana was not working. I feel Onana can be the creative outlet between the 3.

The wheels fell off the Ancelotti season when Doucoure got injured, hasn't been the same player since, didn't suit Lampards system and clearly there were some personal differences there, if Dyche can get him playing he's a great asset to the team. Few more games before I jump on the contract extension bus yet

Status
Not open for further replies.