2020/21 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 games in and Doucs hsa already stopped two likely goals with a last ditch tackle.
Last season we go down to 10, and both teams score the resulting free kick to pile the misery on.

I think it helps that Doucouré ticks the boxes that many (most) Evertonians appreciate: hard-working; runs a lot; presses; happy to get stuck in with the tackles.

He'll get a lot of recognition alone from the fan base because of those attributes, and you only need to think back to Barry, Gana et al. for similar recognition.

People will be less forgiving for players like Iwobi and Walcott because they're less likely to in general get 'stuck in' and importantly when things aren't going well.

I'm not saying that's the right mentality, but its the Everton way. His performance was far from perfect yesterday, but for many that tackle will have saved it...

Zero to hero, ish. His and Allan's engines, tenacity and movement are what we've been missing for ages, and it's let our forward line actually play football.

Hes awesome, massively important, engine, energy, mobility, transition, physicality, tenacity, presence, work rate, support play, leadership all in the duality of playing in the defensive and offensive areas of the pitch, one of those players you miss immensely if hes not there.

Him and Allan are a brilliant combo. A joy after last season.

.....that’s exactly what I meant when I kept saying we lack ‘powers of recovery’. When you were beyond our midfield you were in on the back four. Still need that attribute in central defence.
Very impressed with this lads pace. Zaha is pretty rapid and he seemed fairly comfortable keeping up with him. I think he still had a bit more pace in his locker :)

Just shows what some energy and physicality in midfield can do for you.

I hated playing Watford alone for Doucoure/Capoue in the midfield who would often bully us.

Sprinkle some quality around that area and you have a good set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.