6 + 2 Point Deductions

But the reports state they could be charged this month, so that has to be based on 22/23 as they still would have until the 30th of June to sell a player for 23/24.

The rule states (ironically that they lobbied for) is if found in breach it has to be in the same season of the breach.

Say if it’s not at Leicester are hit with a points deduction next season, they probably have a strong case to say, well the PL rule is you have to be charged and processed in the same season and you didn’t adhere to your own rule.
Some convoluted situation whereby they were no longer members of the PL when the fast track rule was brought in, so don’t “have” to be penalised in the season they are charged. But doesn’t mean they can’t be. Plenty of time for a quick hearing and a 10 point penalty.

They’d probably still come up, so starting on negative points with any decent players sold next season would be delicious after “considering their legal options” when we were first charged.

Overall, it’s another absolute shocker, and another instance where a situation has arisen that isn’t accounted for in the regs.

Plenty of calls to just bin the lot and have an amnesty. I don’t think that’s possible as there will be some clubs that could easily evidence they had to sell players (even if for artificially high prices to Saudi) in order to comply.

But the reports state they could be charged this month, so that has to be based on 22/23 as they still would have until the 30th of June to sell a player for 23/24.

The rule states (ironically that they lobbied for) is if found in breach it has to be in the same season of the breach.

Say if it’s not at Leicester are hit with a points deduction next season, they probably have a strong case to say, well the PL rule is you have to be charged and processed in the same season and you didn’t adhere to your own rule.
Yeah, I take it back mate, I'm probably wrong. They're ridiculously difficult to read and it's late.

Some convoluted situation whereby they were no longer members of the PL when the fast track rule was brought in, so don’t “have” to be penalised in the season they are charged. But doesn’t mean they can’t be. Plenty of time for a quick hearing and a 10 point penalty.

They’d probably still come up, so starting on negative points with any decent players sold next season would be delicious after “considering their legal options” when we were first charged.

Overall, it’s another absolute shocker, and another instance where a situation has arisen that isn’t accounted for in the regs.

Plenty of calls to just bin the lot and have an amnesty. I don’t think that’s possible as there will be some clubs that could easily evidence they had to sell players (even if for artificially high prices to Saudi) in order to comply.

It works the other way to though mate, if they are in breach of PL, PSR, for 22/23 then as indicated they could be in breach of EFL PSR for 23/24 as well, like us who inherited our initial breach into a second this financial year.

The way that I see it, as being relevant to us, is if Leicester are found in breach for last season - like us and Forrest, then why are they being treated differently, to us and Forrest by having a sanction imposed on a future season - we are getting two in the same year - one possibly for the same offense as Leicester in the same year, you either have to apply the rule equally or not at all - loop holes and the PL making a mess of the promotion relegation issue, isn’t our problem.

Equity in application may be a valid defence.

Last edited:
It won't be difficult for them to achieve that. Gallagher and Broja will probably get close that on their own. Throw in Chalobah or another peripheral squad player and it's easy.
The suggestion is that Mattensen ( at Dortmund on loan) Hall at Newcastle with an obligation to buy , Lukaku at Roma and probably Chalobah will be the first to go although timing is not guaranteed to be by 1/7. Of course there is still sums to be amortised in respect of Lukaku but he seems destined to be rid of come seasons end.
I would not be at all surprised to see James sold and in all likelihood Kepa and Sterling will be gone.
Of course the question it isn’t just about what fee they generate but it is as much about overall squad costs

It won't be difficult for them to achieve that. Gallagher and Broja will probably get close that on their own. Throw in Chalobah or another peripheral squad player and it's easy.

That’s the difference also between the top clubs who have had years of spending to build a huge asset base, and all the rest. If we sell Richarlison Gordon Digne Allan James and can’t reinvest much of the proceeds then we’re left with a very poor squad in relegation problems. Most teams outside the top 6 would be if you stripped their best players out and didn’t let them buy decent replacements.

The top clubs can sell some of their C team and academy kids for huge numbers and it doesn’t even affect their first 11, then they go on about how good their net spend is, conveniently forgetting the decades before P&SR when they were spending massive sums to get their squad in this position.

What’s this?
You can’t admit you’re wrong.
You have to dig your heels in and argue back and forth endlessly.
That’s the rules.
All right, I'll change my mind. The clubs will submit their accounts for 22/23 at the end of March, but it will be for the purposes of the PSR calculation for the 2021/22 - 2023/24 cycle. I guess if a club's accounts were completely different to what they had previously told the league there might be an issue, but it's most likely there aren't going to be charges until after the same December deadline at the end of this year. It wouldn't fit in their planned schedule for cases anyway.

I don't know what's happened with Leicester, but the equivalent of E.48.2 wasn't in last year's handbook, so presumably because they'd gone down they weren't subject to the new December deadline.

They can only really make profits on their academy players. Gallagher and Broja are pure profit for them, but nobody is spending big on Broja. He just isn't worth anywhere near the money they've asked for him. Can't even get a game for Fulham. Gallagher has said time and time again he wants to stay at Chelsea, so although more likely to fetch a bigger fee, he may just see out his contract and stay at Chelsea. There isn't many others in the squad that Chelsea can make pure profit on, other than maybe James and Colwill. They've spent big on most of the squad. 100M of profit by the end of June is a big ask.

The suggestion is that Mattensen ( at Dortmund on loan) Hall at Newcastle with an obligation to buy , Lukaku at Roma and probably Chalobah will be the first to go although timing is not guaranteed to be by 1/7. Of course there is still sums to be amortised in respect of Lukaku but he seems destined to be rid of come seasons end.
I would not be at all surprised to see James sold and in all likelihood Kepa and Sterling will be gone.
Of course the question it isn’t just about what fee they generate but it is as much about overall squad costs

That is some list of absolute crap you’ve reeled off there, be lucky to get close to £50m for all that.

They can only really make profits on their academy players. Gallagher and Broja are pure profit for them, but nobody is spending big on Broja. He just isn't worth anywhere near the money they've asked for him. Can't even get a game for Fulham. Gallagher has said time and time again he wants to stay at Chelsea, so although more likely to fetch a bigger fee, he may just see out his contract and stay at Chelsea. There isn't many others in the squad that Chelsea can make pure profit on, other than maybe James and Colwill. They've spent big on most of the squad. 100M of profit by the end of June is a big ask.

Another thing to consider is who is supposed to be buying these players? About half of the PL are worried about PSR sanctions. That January window was a complete washout, everyone is terrified of breaching the regulations so no one will spend

Two small issues I see for Chelsea

Who is offering big money for those players?

And why would they offer big money if they know Chelsea have to sell?

Another thing to consider is who is supposed to be buying these players? About half of the PL are worried about PSR sanctions. That January window was a complete washout, everyone is terrified of breaching the regulations so no one will spend
Exactly right. Also, don't expect a queue of clubs wanting to bail Chelsea out buy spending big (even if they could). I'm sure spurs will have a go, given Levy's previous over Richarlison, Johnson and Maddison, but he won't be paying anywhere near Chelsea prices.