43 Years Ago today May 2 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Whittle

Player Valuation: £60m
Palace Fan calling. Pardon me for asking but isn't it 43 years ago to the day, Saturday May 2 1966 that;
Blue Boys became only the second team ever to come from two behind in an FA Cup Final and win?

Gerry Young wanted to find the biggest hole in the ground and jump in it?

Eddie Kavanagh (may have the name wrong, apologies) had me, a nine year old, in tears of laughter as he outpaced the Mets. finest?

Blues were already one down by the time the tele had warmed up!!

Great Day!

Or am I going mad?

Or am I going mad?

Date now checked. For as long as I can remember, certainly since boyhood, I have had it in my head that the following Cup Final dates were sequential.

1965 May 1 RS v Leeds
1966 May 2 Everton v Sheff. Wed.
1967 May 3 Tottenham H. v Chelsea

Having now checked only the RS vLeeds date is correct. As you Blues all know your great day was May 14 and What was hideously refered to at the time as "The Cockney Cup Final" in 67 was May 20.
My boyhood is shattered. You'll be telling me next it wasn't Palace who beat Benfica 4-1 (aet) at Wembley to win the European Cup next.:oops:

I also watched that final on the box when I was 9 years old and bought the DVD last year for a bit of nostalgia.
Really gobsmacked by the incredible distance of Gordon West’s one arm throw, amazing!

It was one of the great FA Cup Finals. Sheffield Wednesday were 2-0 up and cruising, and then along came Mike Trebilcock. Not only was he only the second black player to play in the Cup Final, but he wasn't even listed in the match programme that day. He scored two, and then the winner was scored by Derek Temple after that afore-mentioned gaffe by Gerry Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.