2019/20 - Minimum Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ambitions should be to win every competition we enter, as Neville Southall said and I agree. Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Realistically we need to see progress and improvement from this season, so more points or higher league placing and going further in the cups.

The difficulty with setting targets in knock-out competitions is that you could draw a top 4 side away who can put out a B team that is capable of giving even our strongest XI a decent game. If you draw City this season, you're up against the likes of Leroy Sane, Gabriel Jesus, Gundogan and Stones. In that scenario, we could play our first XI and lose handily if we're not right at it.

A year on year improvement, challenging the so called big six. Deep cup runs would be nice but if we draw City or the rs away you can't do much about that. I want to see my Everton as they were when i used to go to watch them when i lived there. Always in contention and considered a BIG team. (60s). That's my Everton.

History tells us we are more likely to win the league than a cup. The league Cup we have not won in 50 odd attempts, FA Cup 5 times in 130 odd attempts. A good cup run is sometimes more heart breaking than a 3rd round knockout. Finishing 7th with only a handful of points from 6th will be acceptable to me as in terms of progress but I am not saying it is acceptable in terms of celebrating and thinking it is good enough for our club. The clubs above us still dwarf us financially and still have better teams/squads so we have to accept a small step at a time and chip away at them over the next few seasons. The hardest part of all is preventing them top 6 clubs weakening us by getting our better players. Its a vicious circle.

Honestly, given our recent years you reckon that is possible? We'll be nowhere near any of them unless there's a monumental collapse.
You mean a monumental collapse like Arsenal Chelsea and United have had this season
Spurs have won 1 of their last 7 games losing the other 6
That win was a 1-0 home win against Brighton who haven’t scored in 7
Apart from the scum and City the rest of the Sky 6 have had an inconstant season

You mean a monumental collapse like Arsenal Chelsea and United have had this season
Spurs have won 1 of their last 7 games losing the other 6
That win was a 1-0 home win against Brighton who haven’t scored in 7
Apart from the scum and City the rest of the Sky 6 have had an inconstant season

Just setting ourselves up for a fall again. They are all much better than us. If we are anything but inconsistent next year, we will have had an unbelievable season. Our players just aren´t at that level. In fact, they are nowhere near.

If we're in the hunt for top 6 we'll be doing very well. What needs to happen ? A good transfer window of course; but also a leap forward by 3 or 4 of our younger players giving us a little of that strength in depth which you see in all the top 6.

History tells us we are more likely to win the league than a cup. The league Cup we have not won in 50 odd attempts, FA Cup 5 times in 130 odd attempts. A good cup run is sometimes more heart breaking than a 3rd round knockout. Finishing 7th with only a handful of points from 6th will be acceptable to me as in terms of progress but I am not saying it is acceptable in terms of celebrating and thinking it is good enough for our club. The clubs above us still dwarf us financially and still have better teams/squads so we have to accept a small step at a time and chip away at them over the next few seasons. The hardest part of all is preventing them top 6 clubs weakening us by getting our better players. Its a vicious circle.

Eh, we've had a pretty successful record in terms of deep cup runs over history. 26 semi finals, only Arsenal and Man U are higher at 29 and 28. We are also tied with Man U with the most FA Cup Finals losses with 8.

It really depends on the what the player market bears, but giving 6th and a cup a run would be a decent improvement. Winning a cup would be fantastic and not impossible.

It is going to be critical though that clubs like Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, and even Spurs makes some mistakes in the market. Wolves is a bit of a concern, but think they've been a bit fortunate. West Ham is in bad shape, don't see them turning things around any time soon. Leicster and Watford don't worry me in the long term if we have a great summer.

I think the main advantage we have now is that the squad just needs to be strengthened, not overhauled. We brought in 6 new first team players last season which takes time to gel. Although a couple were on loan, it looks like we are trying to make them both permanent. Selling our fringe players on high wages should allow us to focus on bringing in 2 or 3 top quality players to improve the first team, which could see us having a real go at climbing the table.

Leicester took advantage as the "Sky 6" were all in major transitions.

I'd be amazed if all of those top 6 clubs all went through the same situation again in my lifetime.

They won the title with 81 points that season which is the 3rd or 4th in PL history.
It was a abberration of a season but a very good story for the PL.

Look at some of the points the "sky 6" clubs got that season and how many points got a top 4 spot.

West Ham and Southampton were 5 and 6 points from a CL spot, what a weird season that was.

e74925775a01cb5a6cacd5e3e9a4b2eb.png

Fair play to Leicester for holding their nerve and seeing it out. Lesser teams would have bottled it imo

In the final 12 games of the season, Everton were 5th but to aim for that over the course of a full season we obviously have to finish higher then 2 of the current top 6. Man Utd and Arsenal have had fairly poor seasons this year but they are likely to spend and improve. If Everton can sign a competent striker capable of getting 20 goals and keep the best of our current players I'd be looking for about 65-70 points next season which would have us pushing for top 6.

Final 12 games of the season:
Final 12 Games.jpg

I think the main advantage we have now is that the squad just needs to be strengthened, not overhauled. We brought in 6 new first team players last season which takes time to gel. Although a couple were on loan, it looks like we are trying to make them both permanent. Selling our fringe players on high wages should allow us to focus on bringing in 2 or 3 top quality players to improve the first team, which could see us having a real go at climbing the table.
Games like yesterday show you need a squad.
Coleman Ricarlison and DCL out and we had no adequate replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.