2019/20 - Minimum Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
8th or 9th or wherever we end up would never be deemed good enough any season by a billionaire owner. Keeping him on will be because he thinks more time will prove fruitful as there have been promising signs mainly towards the end of the season. I am certain that he will expect a hell of lot more next season because other than the promising signs in the last few games, the season has been a disaster and nowhere near good enough regardless of more attack minded football and an improvement toward the end.

Following on from a chat with @GrandOldTeam and the other staff.

In your opinion, what’s the minimum required for us next season? I would argue 5th.

6th & 7th not good enough due to the sheer stupidity of a season beginning June/July with trips to Eastern Europe.

Is a cup the best way to get European football? If so, I don’t watch that at the expense of league position. I’d then expect a cup AND a decent placing.

My minimum requirements:

In the top 7, with a realistic chance of breaking into the top six.

Reaching the final of a Cup.

Winning a derby.

Sustained improvement in performance.

Getting rid of more of the dead wood.

I would agree with most on here, a cup run, and 7th at a minimum with a fight for 6th and 5th. Based on how this season has ended, and the amount of funding we have had, anything less than a real fight for 6th would feel a let down. If we finish 7th, but 10 points off of 6th, that will feel like a failure. But if we fail to get 6th, but get within 3-4 points, that will feel like real progress and probably means 60+ points.

Pretty astonished at the number of people saying a trophy or top 6 is the minimum requirement for next season.

The top 6 sides tend to win all the trophies and the only top 6 side with a budget vaguely comparable to ours is Spurs, and they are years ahead of us as far as the squad goes.

Everyone else can outspend us signifcantly - so even if we have a good summer in the transfer market, United and Arsenal, for example, can go and blow us out of the water. We need to close the gap by being clever in the market and allowing the quality younger players we have to improve. We can't spend our way into it.

There's a 13 point gap to the top 6 currently, but we are saying that the minimum requirement is that we catch them next season? That's a huge ask. Of course we want to, but we are talking about what's the minimum acceptable outcome for next season - for me that's improving on this one. If we improve, I'd accept that and continue to back Silva. If we go backwards, I wouldn't. That's about as complicated as it needs to be IMO

Are you not convinced he will keep his job?

If Silva replicated this season, next season - would he keep his job?

Should should we expect him to deliver something next season that he hasn't ever done before? In Moshiri's own words, Silva was a big bet, a gamble.

All considered, unless Moshiri's ambition has diluted - if the club were capable/able to attract someone like Conte or Mourinho, I think they'd change it. I'd be astonished if they didn't, it's a fair assumption Silva wasn't a Brands pick.

People think I've got it in for Silva, I don't - I've love him to prove me wrong but I just think this;

It would be sound if he can bring in a Jose Mourinho and secure increased involvement from Alisher Usmanov, we then will compete. Bit fanciful like, I know...

Until we get a top manager in, we're pissing in the wind. To be fair, he's apparently tried for elite managers (Simeone, Emery) but been laughed at and resorted to flavours of the month in Koeman, Walsh an Silva (at first). It is what it is

For me personally, it doesn't matter as such in relation to the League Cup (I consider it worthless), but I recognise a lot of fans don't.

So yeah, I think we've just got to win something at this point. Anything.

I think I see all this differently than many, not that I am right by thinking how I do, just do.

For me, after the horror show this club had been recently, I have bought into the Brand/Silva progression line. Random league places or cup run expectations dont float my boat. Its the wrong way of looking at it, imo. (And why some lob the "Sam finished 8th" nonsense around. Its pointless)

Me? I want to to see further evidence of the transfer ability of Brands, and further evidence that we saw these last few weeks of Silva improving the team performance. Get that right, the rest will take care of itself.

If Silva replicated this season, next season - would he keep his job?

Should should we expect him to deliver something next season that he hasn't ever done before? In Moshiri's own words, Silva was a big bet, a gamble.

All considered, unless Moshiri's ambition has diluted - if the club were capable/able to attract someone like Conte or Mourinho, I think they'd change it. I'd be astonished if they didn't, it's a fair assumption Silva wasn't a Brands pick.

People think I've got it in for Silva, I don't - I've love him to prove me wrong but I just think this;
He won't change it in the summer, because if he did and it went tits up he would be over at Everton, Moshiri that is.

Completely agree. What on Earth is the point in a cup run if you don’t win it? Does anyone think Barcelona will console themselves that they had a good run after yesterday?

Got to get out of this mentality.

Its enjoyable?

Sure, when you crash out in a semi, or a final, its crap. But the build up and all that is sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.